Just got an Atrix, love it, but...

jmack549

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I bought an Atrix from a guy on Craigslist, and so far I love it, it's a great phone.

BUT... I've gotten complaints from everyone I've had conversations with that I sound muffled, I have to repeat myself 100 times, it's very annoying. Is there anything I can do about this?

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Very well-known issue with this phone. It's been talked about several times here, and even on separate motorola-specific forums. Motorola has been notified and they issued an update to the phone which is pushed to you via OTA by going to "About" in your settings, it fixes some other issues but I'm not sure if it really did anything about the phones that had the muffled problem, as my Atrix didn't have that problem so I never noticed any difference or even kept up with the issue. Hopefully someone else will respond here with better information for you.

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
The update was pushed out, but from what I herd it didnt fix that problem. You have to return it and get a replacement. Whats messed up is that the person you got it from on craigslist probably knew that, and sold it. But didnt say anything about that. Im not sure if you have an option to return it to Motorola since you are not the original purchaser. I would look into that if you can.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
If the software update doesn't fix it, you may have to send it back to Motorola for a replacement. Even though you bought it on craigslist it is still covered under the manufacturers warranty.

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
If the software update doesn't fix it, you may have to send it back to Motorola for a replacement. Even though you bought it on craigslist it is still covered under the manufacturers warranty.

Yeah but will they cover it if you were not the original purchasor?

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
@jmack549 try the at&t store first. They will likely help you, if not then yes worst case you will have to send it to Motorola. @Terrigno yes, the device carries a manufacturers warranty, regardless of where you purchased it. go to this site:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...e-Phones%2FMotorola%2BATRIX_4G&token=cXh3UigL

Enter your serial and it will tell you about your warranty. <Bottom Left of page>

BTW the serial number is your IMEI:

I entered mine and my warranty is good through 05/12/12 ... "I traded a iPhone 4 for mine :)"

Last edited:
Reactions: Terrigno

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
@Duvi ... Thought at&t no longer blocks stolen IMEI's ... Had lots of issues with people selling their phones and then reporting them stolen for the insurance replacement.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
@jmack549 try the at&t store first. They will likely help you, if not then yes worst case you will have to send it to Motorola. @Terrigno yes, the device carries a manufacturers warranty, regardless of where you purchased it. go to this site:

MOTOROLA ATRIX™ 4G - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA

Enter your serial and it will tell you about your warranty. <Bottom Left of page>

BTW the serial number is your IMEI:

I entered mine and my warranty is good through 05/12/12 ... "I traded a iPhone 4 for mine :)"

I just checked my warranty and it says 5/20/12 which is really great. So i have a very important question: since i am past my 30 days with AT&T they will send me a refurb phone if anything goes wrong with mine. So do you guys think that i can bypass AT&T and ask for a replacement directly from Motorola? Maybe i should even cancel my insurance on this phone? _

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
I just checked my warranty and it says 5/20/12 which is really great. So i have a very important question: since i am past my 30 days with AT&T they will send me a refurb phone if anything goes wrong with mine. So do you guys think that i can bypass AT&T and ask for a replacement directly from Motorola? Maybe i should even cancel my insurance on this phone? _
i wouldn't cancel insurance... suppose it gets lost/stolen, physical damager or water damage? warranty doesn't replace it for those reasons.

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
@Duvi ... Thought at&t no longer blocks stolen IMEI's ... Had lots of issues with people selling their phones and then reporting them stolen for the insurance replacement.
i don't remember them ever blocking IMEIs, not saying they did or didn't.

but it's a bit different from flagging it for it and could be possible that it may not be honored. not saying this is the case either, just a caution.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
i wouldn't cancel insurance... suppose it gets lost/stolen, physical damager or water damage? warranty doesn't replace it for those reasons.

Well as far as I know my insurance which is I believe $4.95 does not cover any physical/water damage that's what I was told by the AT&T rep anyway....... But what really interests me is the possibility to bypass AT&T's refurb crap and going through a replacement directly to Moto, otherwise whats this warranty date good for?
maybe I should give them a call and find out more, as reading through the pages of warranty policies trying to find this one paragraph is kinda long and boring LOL

jmack549

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
No luck at the AT&T store, they sent me to a warranty store, who told me they didn't have it. I ended up with a card that told me to call and get a replacement sent via mail.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

fm123

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I went ahead and disabled noise suppression in the Call Settings. That might help for now, and that may have been part of the software fix, the suppression settings.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah but will they cover it if you were not the original purchasor?

Yes they will, all they look at is the devices IMEI number and see if it's under warranty, thats all they care about. I bought a device from craigslist, had a warranty issue and got it replaced without any problem.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
May I recommend future phone purchases take place at the cell store provider. That way you know you get a clean phone. It's always a good idea to use the phone for all basic funtions first too. Sorry to here about the muffled speaker. Have you tried some light compressed air to make sure there is no lint /dust?

jmack549

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
May I recommend future phone purchases take place at the cell store provider. That way you know you get a clean phone. It's always a good idea to use the phone for all basic funtions first too. Sorry to here about the muffled speaker. Have you tried some light compressed air to make sure there is no lint /dust?

I wouldn't have bought it if I wasn't happy with the condition of it. They checked it out thoroughly at both stores and told me it was a defect.

I hate to rant, but this is one reason I really liked my iPhone. Had this been an iPhone malfunction, I would have been in and out of the Apple store within 15 minutes with a brand new phone. Instead, I went to the store and waited in line for the guy to say "Oh, you have to go to the warranty store, they have them in stock, you'll get it replaced." After driving 15 miles they had none in stock and said they never had. Frustrating to say the least. Just bought it and now I'll be without it for weeks because no one can replace it in person.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2