Your thoughts and the HSUPA capping?

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I replyed with this in another post. But I wanted to make a thread on it. What do you guys think about this? On the reason why AT&T didnt enable HSUPA from the jump.

The Atrix is labeled a 4G phone while the iPhone4 isnt. So really, the IPhone 4 has the power and speed to take advantage of the HSPA+ network. So I think that AT&T probably wanted to wait until a lot more of the HSPA+ network was complete so that they can push an update and have Atrix owners think the Push for the 4G was going into effect and it would get a lot more of the customer base cause the HSPA+ network would be bigger. Maybe they wanted it to seem like a big push for Atrix owners since its labeled 4G. Its messed up that they didnt tell us that if thats considered 4G, then the Iphone should be listed as a 4G phone on AT&T. But per Apple, they probably cant do that.

I think if we all knew up front that we would eventually get the same speeds as the Iphone 4, then we might have not bought the Atrix. But since they labeled it 4G, they made us think its gonna be a really fast phone on the network. Little did we know, The Iphone is taking advantage of it already. And thats messed up. Or they wanted to push out as much IPhones as possible since Apple are pricks, and make the IPhone there top of the line device.

ka3yan

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I think Motorola in particular, and AT&T coincidentally, lost a lot of customers because of the stupid data capping. It probably wouldn't have been so bad except that AT&T has been a bunch of liars about it and Moto has decided that silence is the best policy (which it isn't). If they had just come out and explained things in the beginning, we all wouldn't have felt so cheated.

Just my $.02.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
its all very simple actually and been over the net lately, The Iphone is the major selling device at AT&T and it is understandable why, for its simplicity of use and for Apple's great advertising effort which creates a hype for all their devices. Most of the profit from all smartphone sales AT&T is getting with Iphone thus giving all the bandwith priority to this device even though not being advertised as a 4G phone. That's why they cap new android phones, brainwashed people truly believe that Iphone is: cool, is THE only phone to have, the BEST phone on the planet oh and did i say its "cool"? just look at the profit reports Apple is making. AT&T just like any other bussiness don't care how they make their money, if thi s...t sells out pretty good, well they'll just cap the speeds on unimportant devices to lure more people into getting a S..phone
like i said in my other posts here i really regret extending my contract with this POS carrier, i just fell for atrix which was my mistake, but I'll be keeping an eye on upcoming devices especially with Verizon and switch even if i'll have to pay early termination fee

lshuman

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
its all very simple actually and been over the net lately, The Iphone is the major selling device at AT&T and it is understandable why, for its simplicity of use and for Apple's great advertising effort which creates a hype for all their devices. Most of the profit from all smartphone sales AT&T is getting with Iphone thus giving all the bandwith priority to this device even though not being advertised as a 4G phone. That's why they cap new android phones, brainwashed people truly believe that Iphone is: cool, is THE only phone to have, the BEST phone on the planet oh and did i say its "cool"? just look at the profit reports Apple is making. AT&T just like any other bussiness don't care how they make their money, if thi s...t sells out pretty good, well they'll just cap the speeds on unimportant devices to lure more people into getting a S..phone
like i said in my other posts here i really regret extending my contract with this POS carrier, i just fell for atrix which was my mistake, but I'll be keeping an eye on upcoming devices especially with Verizon and switch even if i'll have to pay early termination fee

Totally agree, I actually switched from Verizon to ATT because of the Atrix. So disappointed with my switching carriers.

ibod

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
The atrix as it stands now is a clusterfk of missed opportunities. Who knows who's to blame for the various fkups? It's a crying shame.

sk8trix

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I agree but everyone is looking at the cup half empty....The update is coming and we're going to get ALMOST 4G speeds which is better than what we got now so stop complaining and hope the update comes soon enough,because when it boils down to it what else can you do about it? terminate your contract pay alot of money and then pay another carrier to rip you off? and what if the update comes right after you disconnect? lol good things come to those who wait....

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Haha sk8trix good point indeed! We just have to wait a bit thats all. But to compare AT&T" 4G" to Verizon's LTE its pretty obvious here which carrier is better... ATT cust service sucks big time I kept calling them since my last bb torch for almost 3 months before my issue ws resolved it just depends who you get on the phone when you call them... so the general experience is really disappointing... perhaps verizon's cust sev is no better than Att's but at least they dont cap new devices...

sk8trix

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
so true today i removed the data and texting from a BB storm for my brother and one rep says that I could do it without the data automatically being added back.The other rep swears it wont work I was like WTF all these tools have no idea what to do when presented with a tough question.If I worked for them I'd be employee of the month!!!.....arrg I gotta cool off for a bit excuse me

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
@sk8trix ... That is one thing I have noticed about the cell industry in general, more often than not the sales reps are not passionate about what they do and don't have a lot of knowledge.

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I filed a complaint with the better business bureau for false advertising and i suggest many of you should do as well. The only time a big company listens is when a formal complaint is made.

Reactions: Terrigno

wpbfjr

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
.... The Atrix is labeled a 4G phone while the iPhone4 isnt. So really, the IPhone 4 has the power and speed to take advantage of the HSPA+ network....

naval gazing...

tho, if you add in the concept that moto knew the atrix was buggy and rushed to market, you might find your naval gazing on a truer track...

JusticeCalibur

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
i knew going in, i wouldnt get true 4G speed. but 3.5G speed. However though, i did not knew of the upload cap, which is bogus. However, it was fine with me because the word "dual core" was what got me into it. First of its kind (at least for AT&T).

in my opinion, I know that the iphone is AT&T true flag ship so its not surprising other phones upload speed are cap. I'm more disappointed in the mislabel and mis-advertisement but as long as i can still browse at a decent speed, and lock into wifi, i am a happy camper.

and the fact that we are getting the HSUPA update (hopefully by the end of the month towards half way into May), i'll be an even more happy camper but if not oooh.. "hello CSR, i want reimbursement."

---

in response to "pushing the atrix and xoom out too soon" : i believe the marketing strategy behind this is "to show consumers we are providing updates constantly."

If an electronic product is pushed out with its full intention, there would be no need for updates, and we would see it as "lack of support".

i just wanted to share that. :D

wpbfjr

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
in response to "pushing the atrix and xoom out too soon" : i believe the marketing strategy behind this is "to show consumers we are providing updates constantly."

not sure moto is interested in paying engineers to keep updating already launched phones, when they need to spend development dollars on the next phone, and the phone after that, and so on and so on...

put another way: the end user doesn't want to keep spending $$$ on a product, neither does moto, or any manufacture, for that matter.

manufactures like the military's rocket & missile concept: fire and forget!

ibod

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
TBH I don't personally care about the 4G speeds. What grips my sh*t is constipators (ATT & Moto) building proprietary/locked SW onto an open source OS... misrepresentation of the product is the bonus STD you get for poking yer dick in that hole to begin with.
Atrix is approaching its twilight consumer interest-wise and I only see this as being the result of piss poor attitudes and marketing. The phone itself is great (though my ancient N95 is had better audio and camera... FFS!!).

plasticglock

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty happy with my atrix. I didn't care going in if it was just a 3g phone either. The dual core and 1g ram are the only things that stopped me from getting a captivate like my wife has. I didn't know what HSUPA was when I bought it. If they can just turn that on for me I think I'll be fine. This thing is still a beast of a phone. Network be damned.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty happy with my atrix. I didn't care going in if it was just a 3g phone either. The dual core and 1g ram are the only things that stopped me from getting a captivate like my wife has. I didn't know what HSUPA was when I bought it. If they can just turn that on for me I think I'll be fine. This thing is still a beast of a phone. Network be damned.

Must agree with you here. Atrix a great phone especially being my first android device (well except the archos 70 which i sold on ebay last year and kinda regred that now.) When i am at home i utilize wifi all the time so i cant say i'm bothered much by not haveing hspa speeds activated. Sure it would be nice to have that but when i made my decision about this phone i was more looking into the specs of device rather than network speeds... my gripe is more with ATT's cust service and constant lies that this carrier feeding their costumers with. But thats another topic....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084