Fund Raising to buy license for Atrix encryption key?

Donate to get Atrix Unlock?

• Total voters

bobbiac

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Sooo .. I know this is a legal grey area, but was thinking... Here in the US it is perfectly legal to jailbreak devices we own. Why not gather up some funds for the site to see if Android Central can buy the encryption key from Moto?

I mean money walks, and I think if Moto had enough incentive to release an unlock to at least SOME of the bootloader...

EJL1980

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Sooo .. I know this is a legal grey area, but was thinking... Here in the US it is perfectly legal to jailbreak devices we own. Why not gather up some funds for the site to see if Android Central can buy the encryption key from Moto?

I mean money walks, and I think if Moto had enough incentive to release an unlock to at least SOME of the bootloader...

No.

Solely because I refuse to pay for something that we should not have to pay for.

ibod

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
moto shot themselves in the foot with consumers when they locked the bootloader but there's no way on this earth that they are going to sell anyone the key.
maybe after whatever backhand agreements they have with whoever have expired they'll remove it.
moto need to look back a few years to the time when the end of their phone business was being written on the wall and realize that allowing the atrix to remain hobbled is a bitter pill that consumers will spit out.

bobbiac

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
No.

Solely because I refuse to pay for something that we should not have to pay for.

We should not have to pay for some one's time and experience to create basically a program? You do realize that it takes several million dollars to bring a device like the atrix to market, right?

AT&T most likely wanted the boot loader encrypted. Moto could probably care less.

Also a side note: in order to decypt this one would need a Rainbow table of unheard of size to get the key. We are talking multiple terabytes most likely. To make such a table would (correct me if i am wrong) would take weeks, if not months to compute. And then you would have to pray that Moto didnt put in measures to stop dictionary attacks. So maybe by sometime next year if some1 started now we could have a jailbroken Atrix.

Or we could grease some wheels.

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I dont think something like that is possible. A fundraiser to have the bootloader unlocked from a company that makes millions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze