Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Italiano Papi

Global Posts
    3,624 Global Posts
    Carrier
    iOS 5.1

Default Different Keyboard? But none from the market

Hi all. Im gonna say I have tried every keyboard in the market and there just not as quick as the OEM keyboard. The only problem with the Moto keyboard is that the keys are to thin. My fingers arent huge, but any body would mispell words on if if they were typing fast.

Anyone know of maybe a custom keyboard that people or a person has made based off of the oem keyboard? I wouldnt mind having the factory keyboard if the keys were just a little bit wider. I have the Gingerbread keyboard, Swift Key, Smart Keyboard Pro and I tried another. There just not as on point and quick with pop ups as the oem keyboard. Any advice anyone? Thanks guys.

Gotta make the keys quick for these increased upload speeds
    Phhhhbbbbtttt

Global Posts
    613 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock ROM:Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by Terrigno View Post
    Hi all. Im gonna say I have tried every keyboard in the market and there just not as quick as the OEM keyboard. The only problem with the Moto keyboard is that the keys are to thin. My fingers arent huge, but any body would mispell words on if if they were typing fast.

Anyone know of maybe a custom keyboard that people or a person has made based off of the oem keyboard? I wouldnt mind having the factory keyboard if the keys were just a little bit wider. I have the Gingerbread keyboard, Swift Key, Smart Keyboard Pro and I tried another. There just not as on point and quick with pop ups as the oem keyboard. Any advice anyone? Thanks guys.

I hope someone jumps in here with a suggestion, or even an idea. This keyboard thing is making me crazy lol
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Italiano Papi

Global Posts
    3,624 Global Posts
    Carrier
    iOS 5.1

Quote Originally Posted by hbg View Post
    Have you tried SwiftKey? Definitely not for everyone but the keys can work better for large fingers for some.
    Yes I have givin that one a shot. But it seems like the quickness of typing just isnt on point. Most are like that. I just started using one called perfect keyboard. Ever herd of it? It seems to be doing ok. But the OEM keyboard is just so responsive and on point with the speed and pop ups. Im trying to see if there is something Identical to that one. This one isnt so bad though. Thanks for the suggestion.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    Italiano Papi

Global Posts
    3,624 Global Posts
    Carrier
    iOS 5.1

I see. All these keyboards you can skin them like an iphone keyboard, but they still cant compete lol. I remember a guy on XDA who goes by Enraggedpaza. He made skinned versions of the Droid X 2.2 Multitouch keyboard. And I remember that was pretty on poine. I might have to check it out. Ill post back and see how that one works out. Hes got them in all different colors.

Im in the same boat as you, i have tried them all...i have "A.I type keyboard" from the marketplace and todays update says added option to adjust key sizes, havent tried it yet but you should check it out. I think it may just be a height option but worth a look.
    Phhhhbbbbtttt

Global Posts
    613 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock ROM:Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by hbg View Post
    Have you tried SwiftKey? Definitely not for everyone but the keys can work better for large fingers for some.
    Not yet. I'll give it a try. Big fingers? Moi? No (sheesh) just keyboard hallenged yep miss that "c" key all the time becauze its so lose fo the zpacebar Can you tell I'm typing on it now? And very zlowlh er slowlu er slowlh er slowly....grrr I like the gingerbread kb the bezt so far So here's my attemppt to type qji mly er aji kly er qui kly

How long xoes it take a user to type one wors on the atrix? Hey I'm getting better butit'sstkll q real halle.ge. jjstbate ha ing to go so slow to prevsnt thpkz er typos. Oh well hettingthere I ll try zwiff key can't po3zsi ly er possibly be any worse. Only thingi miss on ginger read is arrrow jeys so i can move the ursor witbout having to try to plave it with my fingeer

Wow this looks pretty hideouz rofl! No patien e to go back and corect all the time:-/

I've been using https://market.android.com/details?id=com.betterandroid.betterkeyboard&feature=search_result ever since I got tired of Swype (after about day 3). I think the speed is comparable to that of the stock keyboard but I honestly haven't used that thing a single time.

If you try this one, I'd highly recommend turning off the right to left swipe to activate compact qwerty (you'll see it hiding in the setting). It allows you to swipe the screen from right to left to pop up a compact qwerty keyboard and I found the slightest drag of the finger would cause it to pop up.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  
    Italiano Papi

Global Posts
    3,624 Global Posts
    Carrier
    iOS 5.1

I think Ive tried BetterKeyboard before and it didnt work as fast. Im using that A.I Keyboard now. Its not bad and actually works pretty good. But its still just not as quick. Motos factory one is the quickest and most on point. Its just to Thin in Portrait mode. And even the modified keyboards on XDA use the modified Droid keyboard. Which without flashing the file, it says the file is already installed. heh. Ill get it eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by tunie View Post
    Not yet. I'll give it a try. Big fingers? Moi? No (sheesh) just keyboard hallenged yep miss that "c" key all the time becauze its so lose fo the zpacebar Can you tell I'm typing on it now? And very zlowlh er slowlu er slowlh er slowly....grrr I like the gingerbread kb the bezt so far So here's my attemppt to type qji mly er aji kly er qui kly

How long xoes it take a user to type one wors on the atrix? Hey I'm getting better butit'sstkll q real halle.ge. jjstbate ha ing to go so slow to prevsnt thpkz er typos. Oh well hettingthere I ll try zwiff key can't po3zsi ly er possibly be any worse. Only thingi miss on ginger read is arrrow jeys so i can move the ursor witbout having to try to plave it with my fingeer

Wow this looks pretty hideouz rofl! No patien e to go back and corect all the time:-/
    Very funny! looks like my messages on the atrix too
    Terrigno likes this.

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

I think Ive tried BetterKeyboard before and it didnt work as fast. Im using that A.I Keyboard now. Its not bad and actually works pretty good. But its still just not as quick. Motos factory one is the quickest and most on point. Its just to Thin in Portrait mode. And even the modified keyboards on XDA use the modified Droid keyboard. Which without flashing the file, it says the file is already installed. heh. Ill get it eventually.
    So i take that as your not wanting to flash keyboards? I have a file to flash the gingerbread keyboard if you want it...
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  
    Italiano Papi

Global Posts
    3,624 Global Posts
    Carrier
    iOS 5.1

Quote Originally Posted by Conor18 View Post
    So i take that as your not wanting to flash keyboards? I have a file to flash the gingerbread keyboard if you want it...
    If you have the apk Ill sideload it. Is it the original Gingerbread keyboard ripped from a Gingerbread device? Then Ill know its consistant. If you have the apk file, by all means hook me up bud

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

If you have the apk Ill sideload it. Is it the original Gingerbread keyboard ripped from a Gingerbread device? Then Ill know its consistant. If you have the apk file, by all means hook me up bud
    will do! its a .zip file but u can flash it with Tenfars flash recovery at xda. ill upload as soon as I get home.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  
    Italiano Papi

Global Posts
    3,624 Global Posts
    Carrier
    iOS 5.1

Quote Originally Posted by Conor18 View Post
    will do! its a .zip file but u can flash it with Tenfars flash recovery at xda. ill upload as soon as I get home.
    Not to sure about flashing. Im not 100% good with that. But does it have just an apk I can sideload? Thanks man!

Carrier
    CM7

Is there anyway to get the keyboard from the Samsung Galaxy S 4G? Loved that keyboard.

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

Not to sure about flashing. Im not 100% good with that. But does it have just an apk I can sideload? Thanks man!
    Here is a link on how to install and use Tenfars flash recovery. its SUPER easy Atrix 4G ROM Installation Guide - BriefMobile
    skip down to part three and at step 16 instead of choosing a "greyblur/gingerblur" .zip, pick the keyboard .zip
    Here is the link for the keyboard.http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1039763 Its towards the bottom and labeled gingerbread-keyboard.zip (its too big of a file for me to upload)
    If you dont see the keyboard selection after flashing, reboot your phone.

Oh and sorry there isn't an .apk to sideload that i know of :/

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tanda4 View Post
    Is there anyway to get the keyboard from the Samsung Galaxy S 4G? Loved that keyboard.
    I'm not sure. Sorry.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  
    Italiano Papi

Global Posts
    3,624 Global Posts
    Carrier
    iOS 5.1

Alright this is weird. Im trying to locat the apk file I just sideloaded and I did in Root Explorer. But its a zip file? It wont let me install it for some reason.

Nevermind. Something happened and everything restarted again. now I have to manually fix everything lol. And the keyboard file is not working for some reason now.

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts

Alright this is weird. Im trying to locat the apk file I just sideloaded and I did in Root Explorer. But its a zip file? It wont let me install it for some reason.

Nevermind. Something happened and everything restarted again. now I have to manually fix everything lol. And the keyboard file is not working for some reason now.
    Strange...? If it still doesn't work, maybe its only programmed to run on GingerBlur and GreyBlur? I don't see why it would be though...