[HELP] Played with WidgetLocker, phone won't come on...

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Guys, I just bought WidgetLocker about 45 minutes ago. I was customizing it and everything, when my atrix shut off abruptly. I thought "well, it's doing a random reboot, that sucks.." and waited for it to reboot. When it rebooted, it came back on but had 0 mobile service. Wifi was working, everything was okay (though maybe a little slow trying to load everything on the homescreens), but no mobile sevice ever returned...so I got a little worried, but thought a reboot would help. I turned it off via the power button/fingerprint scanner and turned it back on.

Now it's sitting at the red M "Dual core" screen, with the text at the top left reading "Modem did not power up (0) Starting RSD protocol support", which it's said for like 10 minutes now....

what the f*ck happened, and please tell me it's fixable without losing everything. I don't have insurance on this thing, either. I'm a big mixture of sad and angry right now. Not to mention I'm supposed to wake up in 4 hours to get ready for work...

Should I take the battery out and put it back in? It's still sitting at this screen.

edit: Not sure if it matters, but I'm not rooted, just stock, and didn't receive that Motorola Update yet.

UPDATE: Terrigno saved my phone's life. All is right with the world again. You know, with the exception of war and disease and murder and everything.

Last edited:

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
..Thanks. Can't believe I'm finally one of those people in this situation. I didn't even root or anything. Just played with a supposedly totally safe app that everyone seems to love, Widgetlocker. My phone happened to have a spasm and want to reboot right then, and boom, here I am. I feel like I didn't even do anything wrong..I didn't tempt the devil! :( lol.

"All data including third-party applications will be deleted from the Motorola ATRIX 4G. Once the wipe is complete, the phone will reboot to its factory fresh state."

Hope the android marketplace backs up your apps for you. I know it doesn't back up their individual settings, (luckily I just backed up ADW settings, etc the other day), but it has a list of all the apps I downloaded, right? :\ Hope so.. man, this is unbelievable that I'm even in this situation at 2am in the first place.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Well i googled that message and it looks like some people having simular issues. It appears the the device might be defective but try to do a factory reset first. Hope it helps

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeahhh i know i feel for you man.... android market is linked to your gmail so once you restore your phone it should sync not only apps on market but your contacts calendar etc... although you will have to manually redownload the apps....

Another thing is i dont believe it happend because of that app you downloaded... thake a look at this thread... http://androidforums.com/atrix-4g-support-troubleshooting/288307-having-issues.html
Hopefully you will be OK after the factory reset..

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
If my sh*t is defective, I don't know what randomly decided to trigger its defectiveness. I've had this device since almost launch day, maybe 2 or 3 days afterwards. :-\
Never done this before, needless to say. I'm gonna put the battery back in now (my mind felt better telling me if I let the phone and battery sit separately for awhile and cool down, everything will return to marshmallows and rainbows)

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
Well Atrix comes with one year manufacturer warranty so if you go to motorola website you can check your warranty by entering IMEI number... so if something happens with the phone you can claim that warranty...

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, no big deal to redownload the apps though. just a little time consuming is all, I suppose.

k, this thing is a goner I guess. Same message after hanging at the dual core logo part forever. Can't believe this crap still. Guess I won't be reinstalling WidgetLocker... :\ it was looking really cool, too, you know, before my phone decided to die and lose everything important to me.

I'll do the hard reset thing (since I can't even get it to turn all the way on) tomorrow after work. Gotta squeeze in 3 1/2 hours of sleep real quick.. thanks for your help & company, man.

For anyone reading this, I'll report back here tomorrow.

Well Atrix comes with one year manufacturer warranty so if you go to motorola website you can check your warranty by entering IMEI number... so if something happens with the phone you can claim that warranty...

That'd be nice if it's covered, since I'm well past the 30 day AT&T thing. But, I guess I should see if the reset thing works tomorrow first. Thanks for all your info!

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Ok wait. Before you assume its defective and a goner, the app might have possibly screwed something up. Not to sure though. If Pulling the battery didnt work for you, there is hope. The Hope is resetting the phone back to its completely normal state. You can either flash the SBF. file back to the phone to have it come out to you the way you bought it. Or, Motorola has a way to safely get the device back to its factory state also.

Return your Motorola Atrix back to official OEM Software

That was posted by Mark who is the Forums Manager for Motorola. Give that a shot bud. Follow the directions and you should be back to normal. But will have to Tidey up all the apps again. See how that goes and let us know.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Terrigno. I just got home from work (what a lousy day). I was going to reset the phone using this page: How to hard reset the Motorola ATRIX 4G - Know Your Cell
Which tells me how to do it using the hardware keys (which is good since my phone won't go past the boot screen with the red circle and white M "dual core" logo).

But now, should I use your link? Your option has me download the phone software to my computer and then plug in my phone to the PC and reset it that way, right? But, don't I need to be able to use the phone itself in order to do this? Mine won't go past the boot screen anymore, it gives me that error I posted about.

So, should I try the hard reset using the physical keys now?

Oh, wait...it says camera button...
"If that doesn't work, or if your phone is frozen:

Turn the power off. If your Motorola ATRIX 4G is frozen, pull the battery out and reinsert it
Press and hold the Power and Camera buttons
Release the Camera button when prompted
Press and hold the Volume Down key
A yellow exclamation will appear on the display
Select Factory Reset and press OK"

Wtf, I don't have a camera button on the atrix! UGHHHH why can't this just end already...somebody please tell me what to do here with no camera button.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Okay, used these instructions to go back to factory:
1.Power off the phone, press and hold volume down button, press power button.
2.Screen will come up with "Fastboot", press Vol down key to cycle through choices until you get "Android Recovery", press Vol up key
3.Wait for the "triangle ! / Android" screen then release the volume down button
4.Tap on bottom right corner of the screen (may take a few times). a menu will come up
5.Tap on "wipe data/factory reset", and press OK. Another Confirmation screen will come. Press Yes and OK
6.After userdata is cleared, the "reboot system now" option will be highlighted by Default. Press OK.
7.Phone will reboot to initial setup MOTOBLUR screen.

It said BP failed in the beginning, though, whatever the heck that is. But all my data was successfully wiped, I believe, afterwards.
Then it asked if I wanted to reboot the phone, so I said yes.
But it didn't fix anything. I'm still stuck on the Dual Core screen with the same error at the top in white.

Please, anyone have any ideas?

lshuman

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Take it back to AT&T and they will replace it for you. As long as it says somethings wrong with the modem, they will replace it for you.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Seriously? Even though I'm well past the 30 day thing? And I don't have insurance on it?
Will they think I rooted it even though I haven't? So does modem = AT&T-related?

Sorry for all the questions... :-\
But, there's an AT&T store about 5-10 miles from my house. That sounds so much better than sending it in to some Motorola building God knows where at, paying for shipping, all that jazz.

lshuman

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Seriously? Even though I'm well past the 30 day thing? And I don't have insurance on it?
Will they think I rooted it even though I haven't? So does modem = AT&T-related?

Sorry for all the questions... :-\
But, there's an AT&T store about 5-10 miles from my house. That sounds so much better than sending it in to some Motorola building God knows where at, paying for shipping, all that jazz.

They should, they can send it back to Motorola as defective, while giving you another one.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I think they're still open unless their hours change on fridays. I'm gonna head over there right now. Thanks man, I'll post back here with what happens. I didn't even think of AT&T as an option since I had no insurance/warranty/whatever. (except the Motorola warranty that came with the phone purchase)

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
well, didn't work. They asked when I bought it, then realized I was past the 30 days which I already knew, (apparently I bought it the 22nd of feb), and told me they couldn't do anything for me but I had the motorola warranty for 1 year. So they gave me a number to call for motorola I guess, and told me they'll overnight a replacement to me. Apparently I keep my own battery and back cover, they send me a phone with no battery or back cover, and I ship them back my naked phone.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Let me get the sbf file information for you. Hang tight.

Yes, please. Hold my hand through this. Baby steps. I'm so lost. Google isn't helping. AT&T is of course no help. Doing the factory reset via the volume down + power button thing 3 times didn't help and had errors spread throughout it in yellow font, though it still wiped the data successfully it said (something called BP failed). I was literally just about to give up and call the motorola number before reading your post. lol.

edit: just got your PM> Will read through it now. THANK YOU!!