Backing-up installed APKs.

LavallavaL

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I would like to backup the APKs I have installed, in case I need to reset my handset. I'm using a ES explorer as a file manager, so I can see pretty much all directories and links on my phone.

- Can anyone tell me which folder APKs are stored in?
- Will copying them as-is, to another directory, make it possible to re-install them locally?
- Will re-installing them locally require special steps, such as using special software patches, or a hack of any kind ? and if so, where do I find it.
- Is there anything akin to Ghost or Acronis to "image" and restore a phone's whole system ?

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I would like to backup the APKs I have installed, in case I need to reset my handset. I'm using a ES explorer as a file manager, so I can see pretty much all directories and links on my phone.

That assertion is incorrect. You need Root Explorer or browse with ADB in order to find all the directories on the phone.

- Is there anything akin to Ghost or Acronis to "image" and restore a phone's whole system ?
For the entire system including apps, you can use a custom recovery like Clockwork Mod, and perform a nandroid backup. Googling those terms should help with more detail if you're interested.

To backup the apps (which sounds to me what you are looking for) Titantium Backup. Google this or search for this market.

- Can anyone tell me which folder APKs are stored in?
Which ones are you looking for?
Anyway, with adb browse /data/app, /system/app, /data/app-private

WHAT YOU DO HERE IS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

- Will copying them as-is, to another directory, make it possible to re-install them locally?
- Will re-installing them locally require special steps, such as using special software patches, or a hack of any kind ? and if so, where do I find it.
This depends on what it is. phone.apk is obviously signed for the particular phone, and also probably for the firmware revision.

An app from /data/app would be a user installed app and can be backed up with root access and Estrongs using App manager, or by browsing the directory and manually retrieving the APK. By nature, an APK does not need anything as it is completely self-contained. Wikipedia search on APKs and how the Dalvik VM uses them can give more info.