Wtf, battery life has gotten so bad

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Thank you, I didn't know I had that setting on.

Sent from my Motorola Atrix using Tapatalk

Before you factory reset your phone like the other person is suggesting, did turning off the "use wifi to find location" setting help you out at all? Do you notice any difference since turning it off?

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
When I open my task manager, all I have running are:

• Go Launchger
  • Swift Key
  • WhatsApp
  • Maps... Which I don't know why, I have it on the "Auto end list" but it's ALWAYS running. I don't even use it, let alone open the app :/!
  • lookout
  • Kik
  • Accuweather.com Widget
  • Divi clock widget
  • Vlingo, which I never use, but it's also ALWAYS running -_-

But yeah, those are the only things that are running... I don't really use anything else and if I do, I close them all the time. But apps like the Google Maps and Vlingo are always on, when I don't open them or use them at all..

Even when apps have been added to the auto end list, why are they still running? :/

It has been stated several times in several locations that unless you know what you are doing you don't need to auto kill tasks/apps. Just for poops and giggles, remove everything from the autokill list and let the phone do its thing. Each time you kill an app and it restarts your going to lose power. Even though a task/app is open doesn't mean it is using resources (outside of RAM). You can download WatchDog and see in real time what is using your power/resources. I would highly recommend giving this a shot before factory resetting your phone, IMOH.

puja_g

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, I think so? I haven't charged my phone this afternoon and I guess with normal usage, it's at 20%? But the circle battery app says 17%? It's been. 11h since I unplugged my phone this morning. I think it's back to normal

puja_g

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
It has been stated several times in several locations that unless you know what you are doing you don't need to auto kill tasks/apps. Just for poops and giggles, remove everything from the autokill list and let the phone do its thing. Each time you kill an app and it restarts your going to lose power. Even though a task/app is open doesn't mean it is using resources (outside of RAM). You can download WatchDog and see in real time what is using your power/resources. I would highly recommend giving this a shot before factory resetting your phone, IMOH.

Okay, thank you.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, I think so? I haven't charged my phone this afternoon and I guess with normal usage, it's at 20%? But the circle battery app says 17%? It's been. 11h since I unplugged my phone this morning. I think it's back to normal

Hope it's back to normal for you. If you have a weather app or twitter app or something like those constantly pulling for data, too, try increasing the time it takes for them to pull for the data. For instance my beautiful widgets weather pulls every hour, and my twitter never pulls, I manually refresh it when I want to look at it.

In addition I usually keep the screen brightness at one of two settings: either lowest possible setting, or the "A" (auto brightness) setting (using the Power Control widget that came with the phone). The only times I ever use the increased brightness are when I'm in the sun for whatever reason.

I also have that "use wifi to find locations" settings off, and like I said, I noticed an improvement after turning that off, but it could've just been in my head.

puja_g

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Hope it's back to normal for you. If you have a weather app or twitter app or something like those constantly pulling for data, too, try increasing the time it takes for them to pull for the data. For instance my beautiful widgets weather pulls every hour, and my twitter never pulls, I manually refresh it when I want to look at it.

In addition I usually keep the screen brightness at one of two settings: either lowest possible setting, or the "A" (auto brightness) setting (using the Power Control widget that came with the phone). The only times I ever use the increased brightness are when I'm in the sun for whatever reason.

I also have that "use wifi to find locations" settings off, and like I said, I noticed an improvement after turning that off, but it could've just been in my head.

The weather app I'm using is Accuweather, it seems to have the nicest interface for me and seems to work more accurately than others i've tried.. But I don't know where the settings for that is, so I'm not sure how often it's refreshing and as for twitter, I think I have it set to manual as well and my facebook interval is at 2 hours..

Brightness is always on auto, no matter what i'm doing and my wifi is only on when i'm at home, since i have the unlimited data, i don't really have a need to have it on elsewhere, lol

puja_g

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Got'cha. All sounds good then. Hope you're happier with its battery life now. :)

I guess it's OK. It's been off charge for 3hrs and I'm down to 70%

I probably won't last the whole day. So I'll probably charge it in the afternoon

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
3 hrs & 70% is a little bad :\
Circle Battery Widget says 70, or was that the stock phone's battery meter (which displays in increments of 10 only, so if it's 79% it'll show 70%).

There's gotta be something we're missing. Perhaps accuweather is pulling too frequently..you said twitter & facebook are manual right? Can you either take a screencap of all your homescreens, or tell us which widgets you're using? Surely there's a widget draining some of your battery on one of your screens somewhere or something.

edit: Tell me the name of your accuweather app and I'll see if I can install it and find its updating settings somewhere.

puja_g

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
3 hrs & 70% is a little bad :\
Circle Battery Widget says 70, or was that the stock phone's battery meter (which displays in increments of 10 only, so if it's 79% it'll show 70%).

There's gotta be something we're missing. Perhaps accuweather is pulling too frequently..you said twitter & facebook are manual right? Can you either take a screencap of all your homescreens, or tell us which widgets you're using? Surely there's a widget draining some of your battery on one of your screens somewhere or something.

edit: Tell me the name of your accuweather app and I'll see if I can install it and find its updating settings somewhere.

Sure thing, I can send screen caps and the name of the accuweather widget

puja_g

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
mail

puja_g

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
That's just one that I took over a half hour ago. But I'll post the rest with more details later.

After an hour and a half, it's down to 70%

puja_g

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Weird :/ I'll send screenshots now that I'm off of work. Ha

20110510221013.png

20110510220953.png

20110510220937.png

20110510215551-2.png

2.png

1.png

Last edited:

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Hmm...with a setup like that, and after 3 hrs it's at 70% (circle battery widget said?) seems weird to me. Unless you made some voice calls or something (those eat up my battery like there's no tomorrow, even short calls, like ~10 mins). Or used Google maps or something. Really the only thing that looks like it's pulling much of anything to your homescreens at least (dunno about background) is the accuweather app, but you don't know where its settings are right? Hmm.. I wish I could help you more, but I'm running out of ideas now, unless you want to try just for 1 or 2 days not using the accuweather app (uninstall it and then reinstall it a day or two later), to see if it makes any noticeable difference for you.

puja_g

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Hmm...with a setup like that, and after 3 hrs it's at 70% (circle battery widget said?) seems weird to me. Unless you made some voice calls or something (those eat up my battery like there's no tomorrow, even short calls, like ~10 mins). Or used Google maps or something. Really the only thing that looks like it's pulling much of anything to your homescreens at least (dunno about background) is the accuweather app, but you don't know where its settings are right? Hmm.. I wish I could help you more, but I'm running out of ideas now, unless you want to try just for 1 or 2 days not using the accuweather app (uninstall it and then reinstall it a day or two later), to see if it makes any noticeable difference for you.

No worries :)

But yeah, I think I'll just uninstall accuweather for a few days and see what happens :3

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
guys just want to share some feedback on a subject..
So yesterday my fingerprint scanner stopped working (for the first time ever), and I did a complete manufacturer reset which i didnt bother doing after the update of 1.83... So to cut the long story everything is working perfectly fine aaaaand it's been 11hrs 28 mins since unplugged, battery level is at 70% right now. Display used 31% Time on 1h 54mins Voice calls 16 mins Browser 16 mins 30s. WiFi 2h 27mins the rest is usual android system stuff... I unplugged my phone around 4AM this morning and I left the wifi on all night and i currently have weatherbug updating every 30 mins. the battery set for nighttime saver....
I am also chatting on gtalk since this afternoon and I have to say I am a little suprised with the results.
Usualy my battery would be around 50% with this kind of light-to-moderate use. So i am not entirely sure but i think resetting to manuf. defaults did the trick.... How many of you had your phone reset since the last 1.83 update? If you did, did you notice any changes in battery life?

ross.lafferty

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I ran my Atrix fresh out of the box for ~1 week with a fair amount of widgets and use. I would typically see 15 hours of battery life before it crapped out.

After rooting, and flashing to GingerBlur 3.1 (same widgets, usage fairly consistant) I see my battery lasting significantly longer. I hadn't originally thought motoblur would suck that much battery.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante