Why does Motoblur suck and how to get rid of it?

philharmonik

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I have been seeing a lot of post,comments about how Motoblur is so crappy. What is motoblur and why is it so bad?? I just went from an LG Shine to my first smartphone, the Atrix of course. I really dont see what the big deal is. Is it because Im so new to this smartphone thing? Going from the Shine to the Atrix is like going from 8bit Nintendo to PS3 to me. I also keep hearing about "rooting" the Atrix. What improvements could there be from getting rid of motoblur?? Is it really that big of a deal? If there is a way to make this phone even better than it is already, im all ears! Im new to this whole thing so bare with my noobness. I work in the IT field so I think I could follow a well written guide on "rooting" the Atrix. Im just wondering if its really worth it, or should I just leave my phone as it is? I've already done the 2 updates that have been released, but I dont even get 4g where I live. Im sure eventually we will, but now all I get is Edge. The only time I get the H+ network is when I drive to work. I love my Atrix and plan on keeping it for a very long time. Any help or links would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!:)

stevehsteveh

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
It completely kills the native performance of the phone. A Nexus S single core is quite a bit faster in day to day use (not benchmarks which are meaningless). It is bloated and not very useful. Terrible waste of really good hardware.

Major

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
UI skins like Motoblur, Touchwiz, and Sense utilize system resources. They take up memory, CPU cycles, and drain battery. That said, alot of the stuff they offer is useful, so it's not a complete waste. The thing is, lots of people would rather have complete control over what is running on their devices, in order to milk the absolute most performance/battery out of their device or to supplant a particular functionality with an app of their preference.

philharmonik

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
So..if I want to remove it...if thats even possible....what do I put in its place? I might not even bother, as of now the Atrix is freakin awesome. Then again...im coming from an LG Shine! The only real complaint I have about the phone and its not even the phones fault , is the no 4G network! My AT&T network coverage is not that great. Im going to stick with the Atrix until my contract is up. Hopefully before then, I will be able to get 4G. With AT&T buying T-Mobile wouldn't that increase the chances of getting better network coverage?

Bushido Brown

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
There is a huge thread on this in the Bionic forum I believe. Although the Blur on the Verizon Moto's don't force you to make a Motoblur account.

philharmonik

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I think im going to try and root my phone and install Gingerblur. What do I do if need to get it back to factory settings, or if something goes wrong? Thanks!

Glerp

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I rooted my Atrix from the help of XDA. I'm also new to Android, but I read the instructions and followed them EXACTLY and my root worked perfectly.

[SCRIPT] GladRoot v4.2 (Bell 0.37.4, AT&T 1.26/1.52/1.57 Supported - Now w/ UnRoot) - xda-developers

Note: Please make sure you read everything before you initiate the root process. There is a lot of helpful info in the thread.

I'm not responsible if you brick your phone.

I too would like to know how to eliminate MotoBlur if it is possible. I made a MotoBlur account with my throw away email address and I don't find myself using it at all. And because it uses my phones resources, I would like to possibly remove it.

I'm rooted and on the latest update 4.1.83 Thanks in advance

Reactions: philharmonik

Conor18

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I think im going to try and root my phone and install Gingerblur. What do I do if need to get it back to factory settings, or if something goes wrong? Thanks!

If something goes wrong and you want to get your phone completely back to stock, you will flash an SBF file. Other than that, root, install GingerBlur (or GreyBlur) and viola! BTW SBF files and RSD lite (the program used to flash the SBF file) can be found over at xda. Have fun :)

crashybear

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I actually prefer it on my Atrix for variety of reasons. It doesn't suck that's for sure. More like personal preference thing when people say it sucks.

Getting rid of it is easy - just install ADW Launcher or Launcher Pro.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

philharmonik

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
How do I back up my phone before I do all of this. I have been looking on how to do that, but cant find anything. I want to save all my contacts, pics,music, apps, etc. Thanks!

philharmonik

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Nevermind...titanium backup to save everything after root. One more question. Does Gingerblur have the option when you hit the power button to "reboot". I noticed that Greyblur has it. I really want that option. Thanks!

philharmonik

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Just finished rooting my Atrix and installed GingerBlur. Absolutely love it so far. Really wasnt hard at all! Only thing I forgot to do was use Titanium Backup and save everything after I rooted. No big deal though. So far the only thing I noticed I lost was all my Angry Bird games. I downloaded them and I still have all my settings and starts right where I left off! Thank you everyone for all your help!! And YES, GingerBlur DOES have the "reboot" option when you hold down the power button. So awesome!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000