Questions on AT&T's 30 day return policy

Silence Sarge

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
So my 30 days are up at the end of the week and I had a few questions about the policy. Right now the only real issues I'm having with my Atrix are that the screen jumps around when I try to scroll or hold my thumb in one place on the screen while it is charging, and my computer fails to recognize it most of the time.

If I take it back and get a new Atrix, do I then have another 30 days to look for problems, or is it just a one time deal?

If I take it back, can I get a different phone (Infuse) and try that for 30 days and come back to the Atrix if need be?

While these problems are annoying (I like to listen to music in the car while I'm charging the phone and when I try to scroll and it jumps around it gets frustrating) they aren't completely killing my experience with the phone. The reason I'm asking these questions is I'm worried if I trade it in and either get another Atrix that is worse, or I get the Infuse and hate it, I'll be stuck.

Any info or advice is appreciated. Thanks!

projekt1

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
1. No.
2. No.

If you want to get another 30 days then you have to return the phone completely. That means that you would be using your original phone for a day or so. Once you return the phone, call ATT (not the same store you just returned it to) and have them reinstate your upgrade eligibility. Then simply go back to any store and buy a phone.

I did this 3 times without a problem. If you can, have them waive the restocking fee. They might say they cant but ask to a manager, get very irritated and theyll budge.

Sent from my Atrix 4G using Tapatalk

rickwood

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
What charger are you using? The jumping around when plugged in is likely related to your choice of charger rather than the phone itself. My AT&T store sold me a generic home+car charger that made my screen respond erratically. I promptly took it back. The charger that came with the phone doesn't do this. I've since bought a different car charger and the car dock. Response of the screen is fine with these. If you only see this behavior on a no-name charger, then that is likely your problem. The Atrix and other Motorola phones seem to be picky about chargers.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I did it once when I sent my second POS bb torch to ATT and my upgrade eligibility was supposed to be reinstated but it took me like 5 one-hour phone calls to get this done. my upgrade eligibility was reinstated but the date was pushed further up to july from what it originally supposed to be and finally after a couple phone calls i got a really nice rep who solved it within 10 minutes after I told him i wanted to get the Atrix today.. So its pretty much random and depends on who you get on the phone to talk to.... but overall AT&T cust serv is awfull.....

So here is two things you can do:
1) if you'r past 30 days, call to Motorola tech support and explain them a problem. Atrix has a one year warranty barring liquid and physical damage. They might be able to replace the phone for you with a new device not refurb. I had a chat with moto tech few days ago and asked about it. He confirmed that i can go directly through Motorola with replacement.

2) get a replacement from Moto, sell the phone on ebay and get Infuse... that's what I am planing to do when SG II comes out in US...

jess.hickey

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
What charger are you using? The jumping around when plugged in is likely related to your choice of charger rather than the phone itself. My AT&T store sold me a generic home+car charger that made my screen respond erratically. I promptly took it back. The charger that came with the phone doesn't do this. I've since bought a different car charger and the car dock. Response of the screen is fine with these. If you only see this behavior on a no-name charger, then that is likely your problem. The Atrix and other Motorola phones seem to be picky about chargers.

+1 on this. I've got half a million micro usb chargers and 2 of them work properly.

dalvik

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
yeahh its best to get the motorola charger first... Although i tested my Atrix with my old bb bold 9700 car charger and it worked fine.... Original manufacturer accessories might be expensive but I wouldn't go with any cheap crap whether it is a charger or a battery

Reactions: ross.lafferty

ross.lafferty

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Original manufacturer accessories might be expensive but I wouldn't go with any cheap crap whether it is a charger or a battery

Trevalkin says it best. This goes for nearly any portable electronic device. Battery life is criticized on many of these phones, and partially this is linked to the quality of battery (if not OEM). Another vital aspect is the quality of charger used to put the charge into said battery. Some knock off chargers will not charge the battery at the same rate, or cause some of the charge to escape while in use.

Silence Sarge

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info everyone. I have been using the charger that came with the phone as well as a motorola car charger. The screen has been skipping with both. In the past few days the phone has also shut off a few times after I had been using it for a while and it got hot.

I think I'm just going to return it. Unfortunately the iPhone that I was borrowing I gave back, so all I have right now is an iPhone 3gs with no backlight. I think at this point I'll probably just wait for the Galaxy S II, but who knows how long that will be.

puja_g

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
So my 30 days are up at the end of the week and I had a few questions about the policy. Right now the only real issues I'm having with my Atrix are that the screen jumps around when I try to scroll or hold my thumb in one place on the screen while it is charging, and my computer fails to recognize it most of the time.

If I take it back and get a new Atrix, do I then have another 30 days to look for problems, or is it just a one time deal?

If I take it back, can I get a different phone (Infuse) and try that for 30 days and come back to the Atrix if need be?

While these problems are annoying (I like to listen to music in the car while I'm charging the phone and when I try to scroll and it jumps around it gets frustrating) they aren't completely killing my experience with the phone. The reason I'm asking these questions is I'm worried if I trade it in and either get another Atrix that is worse, or I get the Infuse and hate it, I'll be stuck.

Before 30 days if my phone wasn't up to par, I'd return it and either get the same device or try out a new one. As long as you're within your 30 days, you should be fine if you wanted to switch phones.. But you won't get an extended 30 days

attweco

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
The "jumpy screen" is a known touch screen defect on the Atrix, although Motorola refuses to acknowledge it.

There is no existing patch or fix for it. Only solution is to RETURN THE PHONE, while you still can.

Reactions: ross.lafferty

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

If you sign up for 2 yrs at Costco, you have 90 days from the date you sign the contract to swap out phones; 30 days to return the phone and cancel the contract without penalties or restocking fees. I don't know if this helps since it sounds like you went to an AT&T store, but I thought I'd mention it. It worked well for me.

Glerp

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
If you sign up for 2 yrs at Costco, you have 90 days from the date you sign the contract to swap out phones; 30 days to return the phone and cancel the contract without penalties or restocking fees. I don't know if this helps since it sounds like you went to an AT&T store, but I thought I'd mention it. It worked well for me.

That's what I did. I love Costco.

ross.lafferty

May 12, 2011
Visit site

Beneficial to know for the future. Big thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois