Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Spam in notification bar

I'm curious -- which app was it (the name of the app)? Developers should advise if they are using air push technology in their app.
    Last edited by SteveMW; 10-15-2011 at 07:47 AM.

after finding this and being pissed off by the silly notifications, i found airpush detector ont android market, uk trains journey planner free was my culprit!

Thanks guys

For me it was TubeMate, an app recommended by the AC editors.
    Curve>Voyager>Storm>Tour>Droid> Droid X>Thunderbolt>Galaxy Nexus>Samsung SIII

Quote Originally Posted by CrackberryMike View Post
    For me it was TubeMate, an app recommended by the AC editors.
    There's a legitimate version of the app - that was the one Chris Parsons intended to recommend to you. There's also a spammy malware version cleverly named almost exactly the same, which is still in the market and needs to be flagged by all of us to get it removed. Please go back into the market and flag it. Chris fixed the link in the post to now lead to the real version of the Tubemate app.

I used the detector app and find that it was YouTube Video Downloader. Now uninstalled.

Greatest news ever!!! Well, maybe not ever, but hopefully it will make your day. I just downloaded Addons Detector for free (which had great reviews). With one tap, it scanned my apps and told me about all my person info, etc. that was going on. Most of it cannot be helped, but I had it filter for apps that pushed notifications and found two! One was a GO Theme that I don't use anyway (now gone). Sadly, the other was ESPN's Fantasy Football App. I will tolerate the ads for the few weeks remaining in the fantasy season, but now I know to nix it the moment I win or lose in the playoffs.

What was great about this app was it checked for more notification settings than just Air Push. Here are all the push notification add ons that Addons Detector scans for:
    #Push Notifications#
    AirPush
    Appenda
    LeadBolt
    Moolah Media
    TapIt
    Urban Airship
    Xtify

Happy app slaying!
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by brandonmead View Post
    Greatest news ever!!! Well, maybe not ever, but hopefully it will make your day. I just downloaded Addons Detector for free (which had great reviews). With one tap, it scanned my apps and told me about all my person info, etc. that was going on. Most of it cannot be helped, but I had it filter for apps that pushed notifications and found two! One was a GO Theme that I don't use anyway (now gone). Sadly, the other was ESPN's Fantasy Football App. I will tolerate the ads for the few weeks remaining in the fantasy season, but now I know to nix it the moment I win or lose in the playoffs.

What was great about this app was it checked for more notification settings than just Air Push. Here are all the push notification add ons that Addons Detector scans for:
    #Push Notifications#
    AirPush
    Appenda
    LeadBolt
    Moolah Media
    TapIt
    Urban Airship
    Xtify

Happy app slaying!
    Good tip... giving this a try.

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

I had used addons detector before with the push filter and found nothing but I tried it again today (perhaps there was an update?) and it found "Bloat Freezer" as the culprit. I just uninstalled Bloat Freezer and hopefuly that will take care of my problem. Please post offending apps.

Install https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result to identify the program causing the notifications and decide whether you want to uninstall it.

My notifications started 2 weeks ago too. I don't update anything unless its important like a bank account app. So, after researching this, I believe it is an Air Push advertising problem. I found that they have a permanent OPT OUT app through Market so that you will never receive another Air Push ad from any of the products they are associated with.

I've installed it and my fingers are crossed.

Try the Market's Permanent Air Push OPT OUT app. They swear you'll never get another one of their notifications.

Global Posts
    35 Global Posts

I was afraid to opt out thinking it might backfire. I preferred the detector apps. Remember that the AirPush Detector didn't find anything on my phone but the Addons Detector did so I'm thinking there is more than just AirPush doing this. I do hope your problem has stopped.

edit:
    Another option to get rid of this crap:
    Airblocker - Airpush Block
    ByQ Develop
    (get it in the market)
    Last edited by barbolink; 01-14-2012 at 05:44 PM.

QR Mark seems to have AirPush installed in it. Actually, it didn't used to be but then it looks like after the latest update they've got that crap in there... Addons Detector found it right away.

There are other QR-reading apps out there... this one has been uninstalled...

Thanks for the tip!!

-- Robert

Im sure the apps responsible are numerous so without detecting software it's hit or miss. I didn't want to download yet another app that may cause problems so instead I started going through all the apps on my phone newest to oldest. Thankfully it took only two tries. I got rid of Adobe air, and a love poems app and the annoying "date singles near you" notification disappeared instantly. Please, everyone list offending apps!!

For me it was FasterPin - for Pinterest users. The detector app found it, I deleted it.
    T - Mobile Samsung Galaxy 4

Global Posts
    1,724 Global Posts

Thanks! Airpush detector worked great.

I've had this exact same problem for a year now and I finally got rid of all my spam by downloading an app that detects which apps are using airpush and tells you their names so you can delete them. Best app ever! Just thought I'd share this great app for all yall who get as irritated as I do whith this spam! Airpush detector is a great app but I'm sure many other apps work too!
    Also, a big offender of spamming is "tubemate"...
    Hope this helps y'all!
    = I C E D R E E =

Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 2.3.4 - Stock 4.0.4

I know Im late to the party, but I just came across this thread
    Lookout have an App Called "Push Ad Detector" that finds the Apps doing this

Regarding TubeMate :
    There's a fake one in the market, the real one is available in TubeMate's website (I think Tubemate.net)

Have fun with Push Ad Detector. More info: http://market.android.com/details?id...out.addetector

It is from google play (formerly Android market) open Google play, click menu button, settings, scroll down and remove checkmark for google admob customized ads...hope this helps you..it did for me....gary

It is from google play (formerly Android market) open Google play, click menu button, settings, scroll down and remove checkmark for google admob customized ads...hope this helps you..it did for me....gary

Default This is called AirPush advertising, simple to remove

go to google play (old android market) and search airpush, i downloaded airblocker, it says it is for rooted devices, but it worked perfectly for an unrooted galaxy note. any airpush detector will tell you which download has the ability to spam your phone without your knowledge.

Default Re: This is called AirPush advertising, simple to remove

Quote Originally Posted by totallywirednyc View Post
    go to google play (old android market) and search airpush, i downloaded airblocker, it says it is for rooted devices, but it worked perfectly for an unrooted galaxy note. any airpush detector will tell you which download has the ability to spam your phone without your knowledge.
    wow.... i guess i should look up before posting, everyone knows this information already..... lol

fingerprint lock was the culprit for my phone.

Airpush Detector didn't work for me, but I believe I found a really easy way to find which app is responsible. Goto Settings>Apps>Running. If you click on one of the apps that is running it will show you what services it is running. I noticed "Kona's Crate" was running even though I hadn't played it in months. When I checked it was running a service called "PushService". I uninstalled it and haven't had anymore ad notifications. All of mine had the white star with a red dot icon.

ROM
    working on this...

Yes to Airpush Detector! Boo to "SmartTools" -- an airpusher app that I was hoping to like, but now I'm gonna uninstall (yeah, unless I decide to pay for the premium version, which I would consider if it didn't crash already).
    Funny enough, the advent of AirPush Detector was the reason I finally decided to root and wipe my phone -- I thought it had been hacked or something when I first started seeing those spammy notifications. Then the notifications started showing up again after I installed a few new apps over fresh clean ROM, and I decided to track down the cause.

I don't know if anyone has tried this yet but I found a quick easy solution to getting rid of the spam notifications. I have a Sprint EpicTouch, and starting getting these ads in my notification bar 2 days ago. I did a little research on here, noticed about the Air Push. I have been selling phones for 2 years now and this is the first that I have heard of this. I thought people were nuts when they came in and told me they were getting these on their phones, until I saw it on mine. I downloaded an app called "Air Push Detector". It did a quick scan on my phone and pulled the offending app within seconds, then gave me the option to uninstall it. The effect was immediate. I had a notification sitting in my notification bar and it dissapeared as soon as that app was uninstalled.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast