Notification sounds set ONLY for email/sms?

Stogies

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi,
Has anyone found a way to turn off all notification sounds EXCEPT for email/sms messages? I get SO sick of hearing them every time I plug/unplug the USB cable or the SD and internal memory mounts or unmounts. I use Silent Boot to avoid the irritation when booting the phone, but can't find a way to kill it the rest of the time. I don't want to turn notifications off, I still want to know when a text or email arrives.

With as much functionality as Android has, I am more than a little surprised that such basic options were missed. It's kind of like designing a killer sports car and forgetting the wheels.......

Rickroller

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
If your rooted then there is a way using Root Explorer and going in and modifying a line in the build.prop files. Well worth it because I too was annoyed at the mount/unmount sounds.

Heres the link:
forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1097859

Last edited:

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
If your rooted then there is a way using Root Explorer and going in and modifying a line in the build.prop files. Well worth it because I too was annoyed at the mount/unmount sounds.

Heres the link:
forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1097859

This worked like a charm for me.

Stogies

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm rooted, so I bought Root Explorer only to be told "can't edit, file is read only" when I tried to open build.prop for editing. I tried changing build.prop properties to remove read only and got the same message.

I have ADB loaded so I tried the other suggestion in the original link, opened a command line , started the ADB shell, and entered "setprop persist.service.mount.playsnd 0" (no quotes) and while it seemed to accept the command, it still plays the notification even after 3 boots.

Guess I'll just have to live with it :mad:

jd914

Banned
Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm rooted, so I bought Root Explorer only to be told "can't edit, file is read only" when I tried to open build.prop for editing. I tried changing build.prop properties to remove read only and got the same message.

I have ADB loaded so I tried the other suggestion in the original link, opened a command line , started the ADB shell, and entered "setprop persist.service.mount.playsnd 0" (no quotes) and while it seemed to accept the command, it still plays the notification even after 3 boots.

Guess I'll just have to live with it :mad:

you need to press "Mount R/W" long press on the build prop file then select open in text editor and you'll be allowed to edit build prop file on root explorer.

Reactions: Stogies

Stogies

May 6, 2011
Visit site
You need to press "Mount R/W"

Yep, that's the ticket :)
I shall now go boot a few times just to enjoy the blissful silence. Now, if I can just find out how to kill the "USB plugged in" notification. But at least when I plug in the cable now, I only get the one notification for USB instead of the three I was getting before. And it's quite on shutdown/bootup.

Thanks to all those who helped.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12