Update on Odin that doesn't brick phone?

ibejack96

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I know someone over at XDA was working on a version of Odin that had both regular bootloaders and didn't soft brick 1010 phones. However, I can't find anything else on this now. Has anyone heard anything else about this?

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I have not heard of a problem with a 1010 phone. Are you by chance referring to the 3-button fix fiasco when GB was first released? There was a special 3-button fix version of stock firmware that when run on a phone that had the GB bootloaders on it, would cause it to brick. This was never a version problem though... never heard of that; never heard of an instance that Odin would not work. Do you have a link describing the problem?

Reactions: ibejack96

ibejack96

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I have not heard of a problem with a 1010 phone. Are you by chance referring to the 3-button fix fiasco when GB was first released? There was a special 3-button fix version of stock firmware that when run on a phone that had the GB bootloaders on it, would cause it to brick. This was never a version problem though... never heard of that; never heard of an instance that Odin would not work. Do you have a link describing the problem?

Not necessarily; I heard that if I go to a ROM that requires gingerbread bootloaders, I have to use Odin to go back to a normal ROM. However, to avoid bricking my phone, I would have to use the regular version of Odin, which has both of the bootloader files required (the special version for 1010 only has one). However, using the normal Odin to restore back to stock would sift brick my phone. Is this not true?

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I do not think so. I think you are getting garbled information regarding the 3-button fix back in the first leak to GB days. Everyone that flashes back to stock, flashes the eclair/froyo bootloaders, and they have to use Odin to do it.

The special version that only takes one, seems to be referring to the 3-button fix version of stock firmware. This version only flashed one of the two bootloader pieces, and if you were flashing back from GB, you ended up with half a GB bootloader, and half eclair. This resulted in a brick- one of the only ways I am aware of this happening on a Captivate. The real problem with this, is that the 3 button fix was considered the safe way of returning to stock, and it was... until GB came along. Under no circumstances should it be run today.

I do not think you have need to worry about anything special. But I do not know everything.

ibejack96

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I do not think so. I think you are getting garbled information regarding the 3-button fix back in the first leak to GB days. Everyone that flashes back to stock, flashes the eclair/froyo bootloaders, and they have to use Odin to do it.

The special version that only takes one, seems to be referring to the 3-button fix version of stock firmware. This version only flashed one of the two bootloader pieces, and if you were flashing back from GB, you ended up with half a GB bootloader, and half eclair. This resulted in a brick- one of the only ways I am aware of this happening on a Captivate. The real problem with this, is that the 3 button fix was considered the safe way of returning to stock, and it was... until GB came along. Under no circumstances should it be run today.

I do not think you have need to worry about anything special. But I do not know everything.

ok so just to confirm (I don't want to start messing around and end up with a paper weight) I follow regular instructions to flash gingerbread bootloaders and a i9000 or Captivate gingerbread-based ROM, then, if I want to come back to eclair/froyo-based/CM7 ROMs, I use the regular Odin and regular method of returning back to stock, and I won't soft brick my phone and have to use a jig?

One more question (maybe 2) (since you seem to be the expert on non-CM7 gingerbread ROMs): if I flash a i9000 based ROM (i.e. Serendipity VII), and decide I want to try the Captivate leak for gingerbread, can I just keep the bootloaders the same and flash the ROM? Or are the bootloaders required for the captivate ROM different? And if I wanted to flash from one i9000 based ROM to another, I don't have to change the bootloaders, right?

Thanks.

Also, which ROM would you recommend? (I used Serendipity 6 and loved it, so I would definitely be willing to try Serendipity VII, but I was wondering if any of the Touchwiz 4 ROMs were any good.)

Thanks for taking the time to read this humongous post :p

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Bootloaders are usually flashed in any one-click Odin package. If they are not, it will be clearly labeled as not containing them. They get flashed right along with the rest of the ROM, so nothing special to worry about. And yes, you would use the regular one-click eclair package to return to stock, and that will also replace your bootloaders.

Today, it is generally accepted as safe under all circumstance for a Captivate to be on GB Captivate bootloaders.

The best way to get there, IMO, is here-

[ROM][2.3.4][Gingerbread KH3]♦ Pinnacle 1.3 ♦ 09/24 - xda-developers

Download the 1.2 ROM and the 1.3 update. Below the specs, under installation instructions, is another file that includes the bootloaders, a special kernel, Odin, and a readme. This should get you where you want to be. You do need to be proficient at getting into Download mode, and not interrupting it... especially during the bootloader bit, which is first.

You do not need to change bootloaders when trying an i9000 ROM. You can probably get away with never changing them again.

Touchwiz 4 uses too much memory for our Captivate to run stable. The ROM I linked to above is SGS 2 themed by default, and tried to use TW4. However, our device does not have the RAM available that the SGS 2 does, and despite much tweaking and trying, it will not be stable. The preferred method is now a tweaked TW3 to look like 4, or any other launcher you prefer. The ROM I linked gives you a few choices to try.

I think Pinnacle or Fusion VI (both KH3) are the best choices right now. There has been three source drops since, and not enough time for any of them to be on the same level as KH3. Until a newer build stabilizes, the devs are working on a moving target.

One tip I recommend once you get updated. Either unmount, or remove, your EXT SD card before restoring from Titanium Backup. GB might otherwise install apps to your SD when it shouldn't- This causes performance issues on launchers and other apps, widgets wont work, etc. So far as I know, this is still a bug on the GB leaks. Be mindful too when installing apps that they do not go to the SD card, or if you do want them to install there, watch for problems and move it to the phone if you have any. I removed my SD months ago, so I do not have to worry about it :).

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Deciding between an i9000 ROM and an i897 one, typically comes down to whether you tether or wireless AP enough to justify the poorer call quality they give you. I also find the i9000 ROMs seem to run worse on my Captivate than an equivalent i897, though I admit that may be just me.

Serendipity is a solid choice for i9000, as is Apex and several others. However, if I was going to go that route, I would probably choose CM7. There are reasons not to... heavy camera user, or if you use BT audio... I recommended Pinnacle since it is a solid i897 ROM, designed for your phone, and I have run it. I have not Serendipity since last year. V4 maybe? :)

ibejack96

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
so i9000 ROMs have poorer call quality but better tethering, i897 ROMs are vice versa, and CM7 (which I'm running) sacrifices camera quality.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
i897 ROMs have support for the Audience noise reduction chip that the Captivate has, and other Galaxy S phones do not. We lose the hardware noise reduction when running anything other than i897.

i9000 (and CM since it uses i9000 modems) lose Audience support, but they gain HSUPA which is code for high speed upload. ATT gimps our phone from accessing this higher upload speed (which translates into faster network access all-round), basically to save the high speed stuff for iphone users. No, not kidding. 384k upload max for a stock captivate modem, but with an i9000 one, you can get 1-2MB upload and a decently faster download as well (latency matters).

So if you tether or Wireless AP, a computer would notice this faster tether speed, even though it is not hugely noticeable from just the phone.

My Camera comments on CM refer to the camera being very basic on it, and how slowly it will take the picture. Most of the custom ROMs have a "hacked" camera on them to pre-focus by tapping where on the screen you want to focus, and instantly taking a picture with the power button. This is HUGE if you have small kids running around. CM also seems to want an overclock to play video back without a stutter, which I attribute (possibly wrongly) to the fact the code is for a Nexus S and not a Galaxy S at all. Love and duct tape made that happen. But the result is a poor camera in comparison to any stock samsung camera.

ibejack96

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
and can you point me in the direction of the Odin I will need to use if I want to go back to eclair bootloaders? (I use a mac, and would prefer odin for mac if there is one, but I can boot up my old dell if need be.)

EDIT: and there's not a ROM with both HSUPA and the noise reduction chip thing?

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
This is the one-click eclair package I use-

[STOCK ROM] Odin3 One-Click Downloader and Drivers CAPTIVATE ONLY - xda-developers

I don't think there is an Odin for Mac. Heimdall for linux is the only other option I know of. I think you can run it inside a virtual machine, but I would fire up the Dell :).

edit- Appears I was wrong about the Mac. See here-
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1266172

Stock non-wipe ROM (KB2) with or without root. Per post 2, this should work on anything with java installed.

Last edited:

ibejack96

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
i'm sorry??
are you saying that the Odin will restore to KB2?
and what should work on anything with java installed? odin?

EDIT: also KB2 is froyo, right? so the one that you use puts it back on eclair, and the heimdall puts it back to froyo?

also, where on the page is the acutual application? Is there one for stock nonrooted and one for stock rooted? or are those additional packages that you load up in the app?

one last thing: when flashing back, I would check the "flash bootloaders" box, right?

EDIT 2: I think it says that I should flash it without the bootloaders first, and then when my phone won't turn on, then flash it again with the bootloaders. Could you confirm this for me? I was a little confused by the wording.

Last edited:

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I am sorry, but I have never used Heimdall. I am a PC guy, so I have only used Odin. You probably do not need to flash bootloaders if you are on CM7, as the starting point for CM7 per the instructions, and most people that are not heavy flashers, is 2.1. I would flash without bootloaders whenever possible, as that is the "safer" choice.

KB2 is froyo. There is no need to flash back to eclair, I don't think. These one-clicks to "restore stock" are only needed when you need a known starting point with which to follow instructions from, or if you are going to give it back to ATT. For either purpose 2.2 and 2.1 are interchangeable. For example, where the Pinnacle instructions say to flash JF6, you could do this KB2 instead. The only reason the dev says to "Flash JF6" is so you are at a known starting point, with known bootloaders. If you came from stock to CM7, your bootloaders are still original, so if flashing that KB2, you do not need to flash those.

You would need to re-partition though, as CM7 uses its own scheme and is not the same as Samsung. There is probably a checkbox or something, or it does it already. Again, I have never run this thing as I have always used Odin.

ibejack96

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
ok i think i will just use odin... i couldn't get heimdall to work.
i think i will try pinnacle, and if i don't like the download speeds or something, then I might try a i9000 ROM, and if that still doesn't work, I might just go back to CM7.

So how do I make Pinnacle non-SGSII themed, so it runs its best? Also, how do you get "a tweaked TW3 to look like 4"