Gingerbread 2.3.4 Captivate needs to be rooted

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
It did install CWM. Go into Recovery... probably orange if I recall. Once you flash a ROM, your signal issue should be fine.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Ah well. Worth a shot at just the one piece. Do the whole thing here-

[MOD] {One Click Odin} Stock I897UCKH3 with boog_kh3_kernel3, NO Bootloaders - xda-developers

This is the link for the KH3 one-click full ROM, no bootloaders. Unzip the zip (DOWNLOAD LINK SECTION) and run the file. It is a packaged ODIN with no buttons and the file loaded for you, just click on START when you get connected into Download.

This will do everything, and not just once piece like I was trying to do. Go into Recovery after this one, and it should be different than the stock, and install the CM zip from there.

kbolt876

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Ok I'm downloading now. Will all of this (installing CWM and CM) root the phone? And will I be able to make calls and such again?

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
CM is a rooted ROM, as is Pinnacle or any other you care to try. Just need to flash the ROM, no further rooting required. Only stock ROMs are typically not rooted. Yes, once you get a ROM flashed, you should be set again for wireless :).

kbolt876

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
wow, i lost everything. it worked but all my apps are now on the fritz. they're either force closing or just simply not working. :S

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
They will all need to be reinstalled... most rom installs are "wipe installs". Why boot into it anyway? Get back to Recovery and flash CM! :)

And get Titanium Backup going... that is the solution to the apps.

nbell978

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I'm halfway there. I might as well go all the way.

Once you go Custom ROM, you will never go back ;-)

To fix the app problems (and avoid random other issues), I would recommend doing a factory reset through clockworkmod BEFORE flashing cm7... Hopefully you have your contacts backed up to google or your SIM card, if not you will lose them all.

Reactions: kbolt876

kbolt876

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Lol yes I've been told this so many times.

I've just done the factory reset via CWM. I'm about to flash CM7 and the gapps for CM7. As for my contacts, I think they're on Google.

kbolt876

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm now trying to re-download all of my apps but I'm getting an error saying there is insufficient space on the device.
This can't be, I have a couple GB free.

It seems I only have the this problem with one app, a game called Third Blade. Unfortunately, it's one of my favourite games.

Last edited:

kbolt876

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I think I will try out Pinnacle. Do I have to flash back and then flash pinnacle?

So I tried to just clean the partition of CM and then flash the Pinnacle ROM. that got me stuck in a bootloop. I got back into Recovery mode though and I flashed CM7 again so I'm back where I started. I think I'll just wait for you to reply before I do anything else, loraque.

Last edited:

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I think I will try out Pinnacle. Do I have to flash back and then flash pinnacle?

So I tried to just clean the partition of CM and then flash the Pinnacle ROM. that got me stuck in a bootloop. I got back into Recovery mode though and I flashed CM7 again so I'm back where I started. I think I'll just wait for you to reply before I do anything else, loraque.

Coming back from CM7 to Samsung ROMs requires a full Odin load, to include partitioning. The easiest way to accomplish this would be to flash, with Odin and Download, the Kh3 ROM one-click thing for KH3 NO bootloaders.

Then you can flash Pinnacle if you like. However, I would clear data on the Market and try again :). Give it a fair shake.

EDIT- The instructions for CM include to clear your caches from Recovery. If you did not do that, reboot into recovery (you can use the power button for this now) and factory reset, clear cache, DO OVER :).

Reactions: kbolt876

kbolt876

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Oh I'll try it out for a couple days.

I don't think I cleared the cache. i just need to go into recovery, factory reset and then wipe the cache partition? and then flash the CM rom again?

and what kind of problems might pop up if one didn't clear the cache?

kbolt876

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
wow my phone's battery life went to 20% after four hours of use. I don't have a task manager to go to when I long press the home key so I had to get another app just kill apps (advanced task manager) and the music and video player is just lacking, really. I'm going to change my launcher because ADW is just not that interesting.

kbolt876

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
also, since I now have Titanium backup free how exactly do I go about using it to back up my apps and app data when I want to reflash the rom? I know this is an incredibly noob like question but I'm trying to learn as much as possible from you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz