Gingerbread 2.3.4 Captivate needs to be rooted

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
also, since I now have Titanium backup free how exactly do I go about using it to back up my apps and app data when I want to reflash the rom? I know this is an incredibly noob like question but I'm trying to learn as much as possible from you.

Hit the BACKUP AND RESTORE button at the top, then hit MENU-BATCH-BACKUP ALL USER APPS.

When you Restore, MENU-BATCH-RESTORE MISSING APPS WITH DATA. The free version will have you tap through each app, the pay version will do it all in one tap. You will know what I mean after the first time you restore.

Never try to restore system data itself. Bad things happen :).

Reactions: kbolt876

kbolt876

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I did it myself last night :D. the titanium backup, that is. I went back and reflashed cm but I made sure to wipe the cache before I did. my battery life is still looking pretty horrid and my favorite video player won't work.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I have found CM to want a mild overclock to smooth out the ride, especially with video playback. If you go MENU-CYANOGENMOD SETTINGS-PERFORMANCE (I think...) and something like CPU? You can set the clock to 1.2 Ghz, and almost all Captivates can handle it fine. Might help. It probably won't help your battery though.

kbolt876

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm running Pinnacle 1.3 and I'm liking it so far. It's great to be back to a Samsung ROM. However, I keep getting the "there is insufficient space on the device" error. Is there any way to fix this?

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm running Pinnacle 1.3 and I'm liking it so far. It's great to be back to a Samsung ROM. However, I keep getting the "there is insufficient space on the device" error. Is there any way to fix this?

Clear the data for the Market, MENU-APPLICATIONS-MANAGE APPLICATIONS-ALL find the market and clear data.

It is a cache size issue that happens only with larger market apps. Clearing the data should resolve it. Some guys were moving the cache folder around-

[ROM][2.3.4][Gingerbread KH3]♦ Pinnacle 1.3 ♦ 09/24 - Page 202 - xda-developers

Another recommendation I have regarding Pinnacle, is the Samurai Kernel.

Get the kernel here-
[Kernel][KJ3] Samurai Kernel 1.2 [CWM][init.d][EXT4] - xda-developers

And get the Voodoo Control app, After flashing the kernel and installing the app, open the app and set the lagfix option to EXT4 and it will reboot to convert. Seemed to speed things up a bit more.

kbolt876

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
ok so to change the kernel, I'd have to run Odin3 v1.85 and load the Samurai-1.2 TAR file into the Phone section? or the PDA section?

and Voodoo control seems to be an app for sound improvement. how does that help lag?

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Download the SGS kernel flasher from the market. Only use it when dealing with Samsung ROMs (No CM!). In general, it is easier to download the .zip version of the kernels when you can, and you can then just flash them from Recovery (Choose zip). With the kernel flasher app, you can use the app to select the kernel and it can be a .tar or .zip.

Voodoo Sound is only one aspect to the app. The first lagfix was also created by the guy that writes Voodoo Sound (I think), also called voodoo lagfix. He has voodoo graphics too, for i9000 and CM, with tuned LCD patterns that supposedly take the color tinge away. I am not sure I can tell the difference on the color tinge, but the Voodoo app also has a lagfix section to control kernels that support it.

I did not think there was any lag, but I did notice a few things after converting to EXT4 that got better.

kbolt876

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Apparently I need to do the following to fix my Market error. I found an emulator (Android Terminal Emulator, simple name) so now I'm wondering if I just enter the commands as seen below? I have no idea how to use this terminal. :$

With a terminal emulator:

su
umount /cache
mkdir /sdcard/cache
busybox mount /sdcard/cache /cache

Ok, I tried it and it seems to work. I'm now downloading an app that failed before.

Last edited:

kbolt876

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking of reflashing pinnacle but i was concerned that since i changed the kernel it may cause a problem when i used the Odin one click for KH3. is it safe to do so?

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
You do not need to use Odin again... you can just flash the Pinnacle 1.2 zip from Recovery and then do a Factory Reset from Recovery. It will replace the kernel with the one in the ROM, but you can always flash it back to what you want.

Most of the time, Download mode can be avoided.

kbolt876

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm stuck in a bootloop. Help! I went to flash Pinnacle 1.2 from Recovery and I did a Factory Reset from recovery and now when I try to boot into Pinnacle I just get the Galaxy S animation repeated. :'(

I see the following when I go to Recovery Mode.

E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/command
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log

Last edited:

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Had you converted to EXT4 at any point? The kernel built in to Pinnacle does not support that. If so, go into Recovery and flash whatever kernel you had loaded before.

In fact, if you have a Galaxy S screen coming on, you must have been on an i9000 ROM (otherwise it would say i897 right :) ). If you were on i9000, almost all of those will convert you to EXT4. You will either need to flash one of the KH3 oneclicks to re-partition everything, or I would try flashing the Samurai Kernel onto it from Recovery. Either should work.

EDIT- If you did flash an i9000 ROM, you might get better functionality by also flashing the i9000 bootloaders. I am trying out Mosaic now, and find my sleep deaths SEEM to have stopped, and battery life improved, after flashing i9000 bootloaders. If you are going back to Pinnacle or a Captivate ROM, you will want to stay on i897 bootloaders for sure.

Last edited:

kbolt876

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I used Voodoo and converted to EXT4 after I was on the Samurai kernel. So I trying to flash Pinnacle with its original kernel which wouldn't be compatible with this EXT4 conversion and that caused the bootloop.. right? (I feel like I'm learning :D )

I've only been on Captivate ROMs, and I did use the one-click to fix it.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Almost always, a boot loop where you see the kernel screen (that is the i9000 or i897 one) just loops... is because of an incompatible kernel. You can flash 1.2 Pinnacle, but you would have to reboot into Recovery to flash Samurai before letting the ROM boot. THEN you would be fine since Samurai could have handled the EXT4.

There is no substitute for learning this the hard way. It just isn't as hard as it looks once you are in the pool.

kbolt876

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to install Dlev 5.0 on my phone. I've been told of a very long-winded and complicated method that doesn't seem to work for me. Is there any way you could help me with this, loraque?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol