Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

ok, nevermind.... didn't put a spce between the mv /system/...

all is gone as of right now, anything else i can remove?

anyone found the correct file name for the att music apk yet.... don't need it, don't want it.

Quote Originally Posted by SMAK View Post
    ok, nevermind.... didn't put a spce between the mv /system/...

all is gone as of right now, anything else i can remove?

anyone found the correct file name for the att music apk yet.... don't need it, don't want it.
    ATT Music is:

ATT-P11_PROD.apk
    Thanked by:
    SMAK 

thanks for the att music apk....

being fairly new i am still gathering info and listening and learning...

you can teach an old dog a new trick or two, Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by BoBoCaptivate View Post
    tomhorn -- Any more details on how you got it to work?
    Still haven't. Am going to try Kid320's instructions in a bit to see if that works.

Quote Originally Posted by maerlim View Post
    Disconnect USB from phone. Your phone should be rebooting. When it comes back up, you will be able to install apps from any source (Note the GUI option to enable sideloading will still be missing from the menu).
    It will lack the option to turn it on, but will I still be able to download them directly from the phone or will I have to use the computer? I fail to see the reason to do this if that's the case.

Thanks for the guide...it's easy enough to understand so hopefully I won't have any problems when I get my Captivate. Also, if I wanted to unroot my phone for whatever reason, how would I go about doing that?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #31  

Quote Originally Posted by cyraxx View Post
    It will lack the option to turn it on, but will I still be able to download them directly from the phone or will I have to use the computer? I fail to see the reason to do this if that's the case.

Thanks for the guide...it's easy enough to understand so hopefully I won't have any problems when I get my Captivate. Also, if I wanted to unroot my phone for whatever reason, how would I go about doing that?
    You will still lack the GUI option to toggle it on and off, but you will be able to download a .apk file directly from the browser and install it.

To unroot, all you have to do is delete the files that give you root access. Plug the phone into your computer, go to your sdk tools directory, and type:
    adb shell
    su
    rm -r /system/app/Superuser.apk
    rm -r /system/xbin/busybox
    rm -r /system/bin/su

Ok, have a dumb question for you. If the file \sdcard is hidden, how do I find it and copy the update.zip file to it?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Nevermind. Found it. Told you it was dumb.

on my captivate....I have no cp command. How do you install the basic linux commands? any help is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyedy View Post
    on my captivate....I have no cp command. How do you install the basic linux commands? any help is appreciated.
    make sure you have BusyBox (run it and update it successfully, may require reboot)

I am new to all of this and I can not get the "adb pull /sdcard/settings.db" to work. My question is what is the syntax on for the %userprofile%. I keep getting either 1024 KB/s (0 bytes in 49152.000s) or Android Debug bridge when I typy the full path. Please tell me what I am doing wrong.

Edit: I have everything else done and I would like to thank you all in advance.

Thanks everyone for putting together this post. Got everything rooted, cleaned, and unlocked.

I do have a question however. When Froyo comes out, or there is an update to the OS, are we going to have to do all this over again?

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

Okay, I've tried to root 4 times now and every time I get an error telling me that update.zip doesn't exist. As far as I know I'm doing everything correctly, and yet...
    I'm copying to internal storage (I removed the micro sd card beforehand to avoid confusion.
    Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions they will be much appreciated.

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

The specific error is: E:Can't open /sdcard/update.zip (No such file or directory) Installation aborted.

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

I now know what I was doing wrong...I had actually renamed the .zip file to update.zip, which actually made it update.zip.zip
    Anyway, renamed file to update and it worked like a charm.

Default Permission denied error

I've rooted my phone and have superuser permission installed as well as busybox. I have busybox installed correctly I have it in /system/bin/sh or w/e and I can see it allowed by superuser permission. I also have the sdk downloaded to my c drive in a folder called "androidsdk". I go through the steps but when I get to the cp "blah blah blah" when i start to type the cp command it comes up with "permission denied". I've seen this error by other users on here but i'm still not to sure how they fixed it. I've reinstalled busybox because i thought that was the problem but it didn't help. I've restarted my phone many times and tried for a long time to get it to work! Please! Please! Please! Help me!!!!!! My eyes hurt!

So im getting stuck on step 18, for some reasons I only get columns, _ID, name and value. Any suggestions?

I also tried this guide http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=730696
    but when I try to update the "secure" table it says
    "Error: near line 1: no such table: secure"

After clicking on secure on the left go
    on the right side click on the Browse & Search tab at the top then like 1 thru 18 will pop up

D

Quote Originally Posted by SumLunatik View Post
    After clicking on secure on the left go
    on the right side click on the Browse & Search tab at the top then like 1 thru 18 will pop up

D
    I don't know if the whole process worked yet, but I was able to finish the whole process. thx

still haven't figured out the "permission denied" maybe i'm just being stupid :/ anyone have any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew39 View Post
    still haven't figured out the "permission denied" maybe i'm just being stupid :/ anyone have any ideas?
    Are you running the Command Prompt as Admin? That is my only thought.

Quote Originally Posted by cyraxx View Post

You brick it YOU buy the next one!

Turn on USB debugging on your phone.
    Plug in your USB
    Open command prompt on your computer, cd to your SDK install directory.
    cd to tools within the SDK directory

type this:
    adb shell
    su
    mv /system/app/ATTNav-Samsung-Vega-1488.apk /system/app/ATTNav-Samsung-Vega-1488.tmp
    mv /system/app/ATT_Radio_2.1.07.apk /system/app/ATT_Radio_2.1.07.tmp
    mv /system/app/MobiTV_800x480_320_20100610_1.0.0.15-118829.apk /system/app/MobiTV_800x480_320_20100610_1.0.0.15-118829.tmp
    mv /system/app/MobileBanking.apk /system/app/MobileBanking.tmp
    mv /system/app/attmaps20-1094.apk /system/app/attmaps20-1094.tmp
    exit
    exit

Done!
    This will Delete ATT Navigation, ATT Radio, MobiTV, Mobile Banking, and AT&T Maps, respectively.
    I am fairly new to needing to use command prompt. I have tried to use the computer command prompt and also trying to go through the SDK. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I am rooted with busybox running on the phone and USB debugging is on. If anyone can help me with the red portion I should be able to get the rest, just not sure what I am doing wrong.

When I have the SDK command prompt open I can not do anything with it. I uninstalled/reinstalled SDK thinking something happened with that. When I have the phone connected with USB debugging on should I still be able to use the phone controls? Nothing in the SDK.exe lets me do anything with/on the phone or computer. I am lost.

UPDATE:

Well I am editing my question as I have gotten farther by reading more info on this at xda. I am now getting a permission denied error. I opened CMD in Admin and have my phone in USB debugging. This is a screen shot of my CMD prompt.

Is there anything that would lead me in the proper direction from my screen shot? I am just trying to go in order of steps to see if that helps with other processes on my phone. I tried to do the Vibrant market place switch and it wouldn't let me open the .apk file saying it was locked. I was going through apps loader like xda said, so I just wonder if by not having this done it is causing me this error. I have superuser access and my busybox is loaded and green.

Edit: Apparently got it worked out by doing more research. If any of you visit xda forum I have a post in there about not being able to change the market access apk to T-mobile. Any suggestions on that?

Default Houston I have a problem

Quote Originally Posted by genmold View Post
    Phone is rooted and busybox installed

type
    cp /dbdata/databases/com.android.providers.settings/settings.db /sdcard/settings.db
    cannot create '/sdcard/settings.db' :Read-only file system

I getting the same message. Any help?

Default problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by genmold View Post
    Phone is rooted and busybox installed

type
    cp /dbdata/databases/com.android.providers.settings/settings.db /sdcard/settings.db
    cannot create '/sdcard/settings.db' :Read-only file system
    Connect to PC, and Eject/Safely Remove the SD card, and "Turn off USB Storage" on the phone

This will fix the issue

Exclamation Unlock Problem

Hi Everybody,
    I had a samsung i897 3 weeks ago. I bought it from USA and I will use it in Turkiye. Unfotunately, I couldnt get its unlocking code from AT&T, Samsung or any other web-site so far and it is just standing without working.

It seems rooting for the phone will make it work. But I am primitive about you said. There were written some codes. I can try them but I am afraid if it never works? By the way, I hate AT&T, I paid much money because I didnt wanna contract with AT&T, however They didnt give me the key.

So, Advise me something to make it worked please !
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast