Everything You Need To Know To Un-"Cripple" Your Captivate

steve2526

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
OK -- I'm having a problem with this. When I click on the link for the USB drivers, I get this message:

{"error": "Invalid access attempt for this token"}

When I attempt to connect the USB to the phone with debugging on, I click on 'mount', but my computer does not recognize the USB device.

idrankwhat

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
The Android SDK doesn't show support for Windows 7, is that going to be a problem? I'm trying to have everything loaded and downloaded before I start.

Dragonfire2008

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
I am getting a very wierd thing going on here, I'm using Win7 X64 Ultimate, everything is working fine, but I only get 8 seconds to type in the cp command. It auto enters what i type after 8 seconds.

Any help here?

X2Board

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Maerlim: Thank you!!

New to the Droid world (goodbye iPhone) and this is my first post. Your guide was easy to follow and I did not end up with a brick :)

Last edited:

Denzien

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Followed it to the letter

This is great...My phone is unlocked and kickin butt....:D
I bought the phone...I'll do what I want with it.
oh btw I'm using the Samsung Captivate SGH-i897 from ATT

anneoneamouse

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Adb is a utility in the android sdk, in the 'tools' directory. Google, or search the forum for "install android SDK".

I imagine that info is probably in this thread somewhere.

Hope this helps,

AoN

oger2300

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
its prob just me

help! ok, so iv gone as far as turning on the USB debugging. with it on, my laptop wont recognize my captivate. with it off, it links just fine. what am i doing wrong? im running windows 7

usSiR

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I get stuck on the editing of the settings.db file

I cant get the file to my desktop unless I just copy it from my phone.

But when I do open the file with the SQlite there is nothing under Secure that says "ID 6", just one that says id, also nothing that says "install_non_market_apps".

I also cant double click on anything in the SQlite to make any edits.
I'm stuck at this point and cant figure anything else out.

Perhaps if someone emailed me the edited settings.db file, I can put it on my phone and run the rest of the cmd from there.

Any help , please.....

reinbeau

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Can I suggest an even easier way of editing and manipulating the settings.db file? I used a combination of Root Explorer, SQLite Editor and Dropbox, modified from this link. You zip and copy settings.db from your Captivate to Dropbox, then you can edit it in Firefox, zip it, copy it back, and manipulate it from there - or I found I could copy the file to another folder I created (modified market), edit the file in there with SQLite, save the file and then copy it back to the original folder following their directions. The one thing you have to be careful of is making sure you're mounted R/W instead of R/O in Root Explorer or you'll get errors, something like 'permission denied'.

The Sideload Wonder Machine is nice, but I'm not always at my computer when I find something I want to try, this method made sideloading totally contained on the Captivate. Works a charm :)

bigsmitty64

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
After doing the steps to "root", on reboot, I get an error that says there is no such file (update.zip) in /sdcard/. However, When looking in "my files" it is indeed there. Do I need to leave the phone plugged in and mounted during reboot? Or does that even matter? Thanks in advance for any help!

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone, I recently rooted my phone, saved update file, dropped in sd root then booted, root was successful, nothing went wrong. I then downloaded root explorer and changed the 3rd party app restriction to a 1 instead of a 0 to get rid of it, then i rebooted and my phone wont make it past the galaxy s screen anymore, now it wont work, i tried deleting cached data, deleting the user data, nothing worked, i am screwed now, only had this phone 2 months, please help i cant lose this phone. used this video to change the settings db for the apps YouTube - How to install 3rd party applications on the Samsung Captivate Galaxy S device (AT&T 2.1 Eclair)