Everything You Need To Know To Un-"Cripple" Your Captivate

dionieins

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
super awesome!

great post, thanks!

I just wonder, what can I do with the update.zip file? Can I delete it or move it? should I put it in a safer place?

and finally, does anyone know what will happen with the root access and all the stuff we did on this post, once I delete the personal data and reset the phone to defaults?

cheers

baphomet

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
i am sooo confused the numbered step directions were cake to follow but the following steps (pretty much everything after 'Connect USB to phone with USB Debugging ON") has me in a mess im a complete newb to any of this so if anyone can explain what i'm supposed to do from there would be a GOD to me all i want to do is make my captivate flash capable i have the apk on my phone but of course it says its at&t blocked which is why im on this page lol please help this poor soul you can post here or email for further explaination of what i'm confused about or even a step by step video on youtube would be orgasmic lol

jeremiahsprous@yahoo.com

vinniecaleb

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
It appears that the app "titanium backup" allows you to delete, un-install, restore,freeze individual apps. Is this the same as doing all those command prompt actions except a whole lot easier for some of us. Is there a difference? Seems like it would save alot of headaches as there are many posts in this thread looking for certain app commands to delete them?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
The One-Click Root for Mac.

And now I'm using Windows for everything. Is that my problem?

I was asking cause you may have done a temporary root....but thats not the case, why dont you try to reroot, something caused you to lose it. you cant get any other apps that need root to work right?

chorst

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Can I suggest an even easier way of editing and manipulating the settings.db file? I used a combination of Root Explorer, SQLite Editor and Dropbox, modified from this link. You zip and copy settings.db from your Captivate to Dropbox, then you can edit it in Firefox, zip it, copy it back, and manipulate it from there - or I found I could copy the file to another folder I created (modified market), edit the file in there with SQLite, save the file and then copy it back to the original folder following their directions. The one thing you have to be careful of is making sure you're mounted R/W instead of R/O in Root Explorer or you'll get errors, something like 'permission denied'.

The Sideload Wonder Machine is nice, but I'm not always at my computer when I find something I want to try, this method made sideloading totally contained on the Captivate. Works a charm :)
Say Reinbeau; I've been stuck on the cmd prompt route...can't even get adb shell, says cmd not found, installed sdk a few itmes and Im in tools dir, but no cmds are working.
So.
On the phone I found the settings file, set R/W, edited from 0 to 1 but it won't save; are you saying I need to first make a copy and move it out to another dir, change it there and then save to or replace the original?
And if you get the apk files from the develpers for the apps you want to load is it still neccessary to side load them?
I really like the idea of doing this without being on my pc.

Connor123

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I was asking cause you may have done a temporary root....but thats not the case, why dont you try to reroot, something caused you to lose it. you cant get any other apps that need root to work right?

Actually, all of the apps that require superuser access work just fine. Adblocker is working smooth as butter, drocap2 works almost perfectly, and I was able to back-up all my apps and user data with Titanium back-up.

When it's all said and done though, I thought I would need to enable sideloading to restore all my data after I switched over to the Cognition ROM, but I just decided to take a leap of faith and flash that ROM anyways, and I was able to restore my stuff just fine.

So, I guess I just won't worry about sideloading. Not worth the trouble it seems.

zetetic

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I have attempted to access the 64bit USB driver via the URL (tiny.cc/80pq0) and receive an error each time. Any other options for acquiring the driver? Samsung perhaps? Seems I've seen a link to that somewhere in AndroidCentral.

Damani311

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Never any solution given to those people that ran into "permission denied" when putting in the CP prompts.

Phone is fully rooted.........busybox rocking.........path updated.........can't find the solution

malone589

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
please help me sideload

OK please don't get frustrated with me as I have read and read and tried the Swm. There was also this cmd method that I have tried. I've downloaded lots of things. I do have my phone rooted. Also busybox and a few other things but I'm just having a terrible time. I need a way without having to use my computer if possible. Also while I'm asking questions, what is the fastest web browser for the captivate? Would changing my rom help me do anything? I'm so lost. Please help me.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
OK please don't get frustrated with me as I have read and read and tried the Swm. There was also this cmd method that I have tried. I've downloaded lots of things. I do have my phone rooted. Also busybox and a few other things but I'm just having a terrible time. I need a way without having to use my computer if possible. Also while I'm asking questions, what is the fastest web browser for the captivate? Would changing my rom help me do anything? I'm so lost. Please help me.

you would need a custom rom as far as i know to sideload if you are not using a computer....whats wrong with the cmd way, that has never failed me

malone589

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Well maybe I'm just not doing it right. I down load one thing then it tells m I need another thing and my phone says it will not download anymore BC there isn't enough storage and idk why that would b. I thought I had everything so I tried and the Cmd kept telling me that it could not locate the file or some sort of msg like that.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Well maybe I'm just not doing it right. I down load one thing then it tells m I need another thing and my phone says it will not download anymore BC there isn't enough storage and idk why that would b. I thought I had everything so I tried and the Cmd kept telling me that it could not locate the file or some sort of msg like that.

Try this method

http://forum.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/56697-how-quick-adb.html

put the files you want to sideload into the quick adb folder once you are all set up

then read the section on adb install

Reactions: silverdemon

silverdemon

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
It seems they changed the names of the APK files with 2.2 on the captivate. Here are the ones I was able to remove using the OP's process:

***I HOLD NO RESPONSIBILITY OF WHAT YOU DO TO YOUR DEVICE, WHILE THERE IS LITTLE RISK OF BRICK, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE OTHERWISE***

• mv /system/app/ATT-P11_PROD.apk /system/app/ATT-P11_PROD.tmp
  • mv /system/app/attmaps20-1112.apk /system/app/attmaps20-1112.tmp
  • mv /system/app/ATTNav-Samsung-Vega-1516.apk /system/app/ATTNav-Samsung-Vega-1516.tmp
  • mv /system/app/ATT_Radio_En_Full_2.4.1.75075.apk /system/app/ATT_Radio_En_Full_2.4.1.75075.tmp
  • mv /system/app/IM-Signed.apk /system/app/IM-Signed.tmp
  • mv /system/app/MobileBanking.apk /system/app/MobileBanking.tmp
  • mv /system/app/MobiTV.apk /system/app/MobiTV.tmp
  • mv /system/app/WHERE_Samsung_GT-I900_Vegas_EN_1.9.3_GM_06112010.apk /system/app/WHERE_Samsung_GT-I900_Vegas_EN_1.9.3_GM_06112010.tmp
  • mv /system/app/WriteandGo.apk /system/app/WriteandGo.tmp
  • mv /system/app/YPMobile-release-905.apk /system/app/YPMobile-release-905.tmp
  • mv /system/app/MobileVideo.apk /system/app/MobileVideo.tmp

The above code will remove the ATT Navigation, ATT Radio, MobiTV, Mobile Banking, AT&T Maps, Where, Write and Go, GalaxySSupport, ATT IM, YP Mobile, and Mobile Video.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheDozarian

Fiftyace

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Tried rooting... the install seems to work at first... but then it errors out as it tries to "Install from SDcard....

it finds it
opens it
verifying update package....

then errors that reads... "E:signature verification failed. Installation aborted".

Any thoughts?

I dismounted the SD card totally and tried again... but to the same effect.

Thanks for your help

BTW, my Captivate is upgraded to 2.2 frodo; if that makes a difference on the root file.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Tried rooting... the install seems to work at first... but then it errors out as it tries to "Install from SDcard....

it finds it
opens it
verifying update package....

then errors that reads... "E:signature verification failed. Installation aborted".

Any thoughts?

I dismounted the SD card totally and tried again... but to the same effect.

Thanks for your help

BTW, my Captivate is upgraded to 2.2 frodo; if that makes a difference on the root file.

The root file method doesn't work one Froyo (lol @ frodo), you have to use the root method in my signature.

Fiftyace

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
lol...frodian slip...lol

Okay... that's what I thought, so i stopped and asked before I tried your thread....

Your link for 'superoneclick 1.7' doesn't seem to be working....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz