Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Cappy Rooting Problem!

I am a newbie, am confused on rooting my captivate. I downloaded the microsoft net 4 file and samsung drivers to my computer to run, downloaded captivate one click root file, opened it, renamed file, update.zip loaded on my captivates sd card, put phone in reboot mode, selected reinstall packages and it saying install from sdcard, finding update,opening update, E:Can't open /sdcard/update.zip (bad) installation aborted. my question is it a bad file or am I doing something wrong, help,thx.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    ROM
    Serendipity | SpeedMod

Quote Originally Posted by anneoneamouse View Post
    Sorry for the misdirection w.r.t. OCLF, I've gone back through all my posts, and updated them to reflect the changes to the new version.

So, for rooting- check this thread at XDA:

[APP]SuperOneClick v1.5.5 (Root, Unroot, Enable Non-Market App, Get UNLOCK code) - xda-developers

Hope this helps,

AoN
    I've tried this one on my phone to allow non-market apps but it always fail on me. Any other tools I can use?
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts

Default Help with root!

I followed the videos to a T and after running ODIN, instead of multiple reboots into Linux, it just shut down and showed the battery icon and it keeps refreshing, I then unplugged the phone and powered it on and it just keeps refreshing the AT&T logo, please help!
    Thanked by:

Sounds like a bad flash. You need to Odin yourself back to stock (do-over)-

[STOCK ROM] Odin3 One-Click Downloader and Drivers CAPTIVATE ONLY - xda-developers

There is a lot of reading in there, but the answers ARE there. You are not bricked . Short version-

Take out the battery on your phone.
    Open ODIN on your computer.
    Connect your phone to USB
    Insert the battery WHILE holding DOWN-VOL (this will get you to download mode).
    Flash to stock
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts

I tried that, still no response
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts

I actually ended up taking back the phone and getting a new one...may try again once i figure out the problem or a fix.
    Thanked by:

could you make a video?

Have you tried the side load wonder machine? I thought that situations like this was exactly what its for . Should be a link for it around here somewhere...

I've used the super one click linked above as well as this one
    One Click Root for AT&T Captivate | xda-developers

both work great, I think this one might be a good option if the other isn't working for you
    Thanked by:

If your intent is to load a custom ROM, do not worry about a lagfix... all the custom ROMs come with one already. This is probably the only time you will ever need to root too, if you go custom, as they are all rooted already.
    Thanked by:

Default Captivate Rooting/Roms for dummies?

Hi, Im a newbie My brother is a tech guy so Ive relied on him for simplifying all of my electronic processes but he hasnt tapped into androids yet so... Im on my own lol
    Ive done a lot of reading and watching but Im still confused about the exact steps I should take for this 'android opening' process.
    I know I have to root first... I have a 1 click root.
    From there I can add a rom. I think I'll go with cognition and if that doesnt work out I'll try out perception.
    Thats where things get fuzzy. Before that...
    I think Im supposed to dl samsung drivers? I wasnt sure which model code was my particular phone.
    And I think Im supposed to backup my apps and stuff with titanium.
    Is this about right? Am I missing any critical info?
    Thanks
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by Caexis View Post
    Hi, Im a newbie My brother is a tech guy so Ive relied on him for simplifying all of my electronic processes but he hasnt tapped into androids yet so... Im on my own lol
    Ive done a lot of reading and watching but Im still confused about the exact steps I should take for this 'android opening' process.
    I know I have to root first... I have a 1 click root.
    From there I can add a rom. I think I'll go with cognition and if that doesnt work out I'll try out perception.
    Thats where things get fuzzy. Before that...
    I think Im supposed to dl samsung drivers? I wasnt sure which model code was my particular phone.
    And I think Im supposed to backup my apps and stuff with titanium.
    Is this about right? Am I missing any critical info?
    Thanks
    Look in my signature below, there is a link to How to videos > they are all dedicated to the captivate, there is a long list of how to's there watch them and you will be an expert in no time
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
    Thanked by:

Hi, I actually started with those links lol They are definitely a great set of resources once I have a plan but I think theyre kind of random for me. In the sense that if you know you want to do xyz, you can find a vid on that, but they didnt appear to be in the order that Id have to do them in starting from scratch, or really helping me understand which would be the ones for me.
    Unless I missed one explaining that kind of thing...
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

CAPTIVATE ROM FLASHING VIDEO SERIES
    PART 1 -
    PART 2 -
    PART 3 -

This set should take you from start to finish

here is the latest cognition
    http://www.ponack.net/designgears/re...tionv2.3b8.zip

if you are still fuzzy , PM me and ill walk you through it
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
    Thanked by 3:

And once you are done with those how to videos, go to xda developers and look for the speed mod kernel and drop that onto your phone. you'll also need an i9000 modem to go with it. Battery life is much improved with these two items.
    Thanked by:
    Dude

Global Posts
    256 Global Posts

I think the videos above are probably the best resources however in the interest of helping, I used this one below and found it very easy and clear on the steps from start to finish.

How To: Root the Samsung Vibrant / Captivate | TheUnlockr
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by kalifornia View Post
    I think the videos above are probably the best resources however in the interest of helping, I used this one below and found it very easy and clear on the steps from start to finish.

How To: Root the Samsung Vibrant / Captivate | TheUnlockr

This one is a great demo, very easy. It's what I use when needed

Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    CAPTIVATE ROM FLASHING VIDEO SERIES
    PART 1 -
    PART 2 -
    PART 3 -

This set should take you from start to finish

here is the latest cognition
    http://www.ponack.net/designgears/re...tionv2.3b8.zip

if you are still fuzzy , PM me and ill walk you through it

these are how I got started, VERY informative. However, I would watch them first, then go back and install along with them. It might save you some headaches
    Thanked by:

Before anyone should start this process, you should know how to do the following-

1. How to get to Recovery Mode
    2. How to get into Download Mode
    3. Be able to perform the above at will

If you can't do those, you should wait until you figure that out first. Otherwise, if you run into any troubleshooting required, you will waste time figuring out how to do it while your phone is non-functional. Better to learn these steps while your phone is still working, so you can spend time fixing things instead of researching what needs to be in your brain already.

I speak from the voice of painful experience. You CAN learn those as you go, but you will be better served spending the time up front.
    Thanked by 2:

Thanks everyone for adding. I found a guide over on xda after some aimless browsing. That led to many other links I checked out. Its kind of an information overload and there are so many sources it's hard to keep track or put the bits together into one coherent idea lol.
    Im going to continue with these links, and the new things you guys have suggested... hopefully I'll have enough of a handle on it to do some rooting and readjusting. I feel like my phone is just borderline good and I cant wait to see it at it's higher potential.
    Thanked by:

Default Best place to root my captivate

Where would be the best place to go to rot my Captivate? I am very frustrated with it's current state and since there is no update coming soon, I believe this is the best way to go. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Thanked by:

I would sugest z4root getting it on the phone with the sideload wonder machine
    Or super one click
    Thanked by:

I have tried a few time to root my damn phone and just keep getting errors cannot open file update.zip. Oh well.............
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Apex 7.2 w/ Talon 0.3.1
    iPhone 3G: Jailbreak w/ Bootable Gingerbread
    iPhone 4: Returned
    Samsung Captivate:
    Stock ROM Rooted w/ Voodoo Lagfix
    Cognition 2, 3, 4
    Cyanogenmod 7
    Serendipity 6
    Apex 7.2 (Current)
    Thanked by:

Theres something abut that file it was mentioned in a sideoader wonder machine forum
    Thanked by:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast