Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Don't know what I am doing wrong but when I put my phone into debugging mode and attempt to mount my phone to copy the file to root, the phone refuses to communicate with my computer. It only communicates with my computer when debugging mode is not on. The drivers are installed and I am following the directions perfectly. I guess I am just not meant to root this damn phone hahaha.
    melvinaury likes this.

Hey guys... I was about to do the one click root, but realized I never went back and got the drivers. I have a Mac (forgot to mention that earlier) and I saw a guide on xda that said mac users dont need to dl the drivers... is there any truth to that? Do you know why that would be? I just want to make sure before I hit the root button.
    melvinaury likes this.

Me again... so I did the one click root
    After I use the volume down to click on the reinstall packages Im getting an error message...
    E:Can't open/sdcard/update.zip
    (no such file or directory)
    Installation aborted.
    Any ideas? lol I use Salling for file transfer, I dont know if that makes a difference in anything... I tried it w/ and w/o ejecting. Same thing...
    melvinaury likes this.

I have been getting that same message for the past two days hahaha. I just gave up.
    melvinaury likes this.

I just got it! Apparently on Macs you (in addition to the usb debugging) you have to eject both sd cards (internal and external) from your desktop then in your notifications bar up top click the turn off usb storage.
    Then hit the root button.
    It worked after I did that.
    Maybe having that usb storage on (which is default) blocks the app from installing the update.zip which makes it unable to find.
    But yaay! Once it rebooted with the update file, I tried the titanium app as a check to see if it was really rooted and I kept getting an error message, but I do have a new superuser app so Im hoping its good. Im tired though, I'll play around more tmrw lol
    melvinaury likes this.

Default New Rooter

I have been following the videos and got to part 2 of how to on my Captivate, I got Odin to work thefirst half but i must have screwed up and unpluged the usb cable before it was finished rebooting, now phone is stuck in AT&T splash Screen Mode and i cant get Odin to see it so i can start from scratch again. Help please
    melvinaury likes this.

Pull out the battery on the phone.
    Close and re-open Odin.
    Connect the phone to the USB cord.
    Press and HOLD VOLDOWN button, and insert battery.

Welcome to download mode. Try again .
    melvinaury likes this.

no luck, acts like it wants to go into charging mode. shows the battery icon
    melvinaury likes this.

guess i jacked it up i had the 3 button option then have lost it after doing Odin and "start" wasnt able to get to Master Clear. Is this thing called a Jtag the only thing that will save me now.
    melvinaury likes this.

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Carrier
    AOKP

Default Rooting and Froyo

OK I never had a desire to go to Froyo on the cap, until I was playing with my friends phone today. I have been reading a few articles on here about rooting and what not and that process seems simple enough with the update.zip file and getting that going. I have yet to do that though. I just want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I start getting this evening project started. I just have a couple questions that I am curious about and I was hoping to count on everyone elses expertise in thise area.

1. What is Odin, everyone talks about it on here like we all know what it is (maybe everyone but me does) and where would I be able to download it at?

2. Is rooting required to update to Froyo?

3. Where can I get Froyo, I saw a link earlier mentioning getting it from XDA, but they weren't very clear on the instructions. Is Odin required for this? I would like to be able to one day go back to stock if needed.

Thanks in advance guys, and if I over looked any of these questions in previous threads, I would love to be pointed in the correct direction so that I can find out everything I need to know to have Froyo up and running by tomorrow AM.
    melvinaury likes this.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by blueluck77 View Post
    OK I never had a desire to go to Froyo on the cap, until I was playing with my friends phone today. I have been reading a few articles on here about rooting and what not and that process seems simple enough with the update.zip file and getting that going. I have yet to do that though. I just want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row before I start getting this evening project started. I just have a couple questions that I am curious about and I was hoping to count on everyone elses expertise in thise area.

1. What is Odin, everyone talks about it on here like we all know what it is (maybe everyone but me does) and where would I be able to download it at?

2. Is rooting required to update to Froyo?

3. Where can I get Froyo, I saw a link earlier mentioning getting it from XDA, but they weren't very clear on the instructions. Is Odin required for this? I would like to be able to one day go back to stock if needed.

Thanks in advance guys, and if I over looked any of these questions in previous threads, I would love to be pointed in the correct direction so that I can find out everything I need to know to have Froyo up and running by tomorrow AM.
    1.Odin is a program that flashes the firmware onto your phone, in your case Froyo.

2. No rooting is not required to flash froyo

3. here is all you need to flash to froyo

this video will walk you through the process

How to use ODIN 1 CLICK DOWNLOAD to flash STOCK Firmware

if you need to go back to stock eclair use this

Be aware any and all hacks or modifications you do to your phone are at your own risk I nor Android central are responsible for your phone.

We will do what we can to help if ever needed though

Good luck.
    blueluck77 and melvinaury like this.

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Carrier
    AOKP

How long does it take for the upgrade to take, my phone has been on the green screen for about 8 minutes.
    melvinaury likes this.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock for now

How long does it take for the upgrade to take, my phone has been on the green screen for about 8 minutes.
    Give it 5 more minutes, if it doesnt move you need remove the battery and reinsert it....then change USB ports if possible....also did you make sure you downloaded the drivers?
    melvinaury likes this.

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Carrier
    AOKP

Its going through everything, but sitting on modem.bin
    melvinaury likes this.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock for now

Its going through everything, but sitting on modem.bin
    did you follow all the direction from the video?
    melvinaury likes this.

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Carrier
    AOKP

melvinaury likes this.

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Carrier
    AOKP

Yes absolutely. Followed it step by step
    melvinaury likes this.

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Carrier
    AOKP

So if its still on the green screen what can I do?
    melvinaury likes this.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock for now

So if its still on the green screen what can I do?
    im searching to see if i can find someone else with this same situation, sit tight please
    melvinaury likes this.

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Carrier
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    im searching to see if i can find someone else with this same situation, sit tight please
    Sorry...

Will do.
    melvinaury likes this.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock for now

Sorry...

Will do.
    Blue were you running a rom before this or were you stock?
    melvinaury likes this.

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Carrier
    AOKP

Completely stock.
    melvinaury likes this.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock for now

Do you have antivirus software on your pc?
    melvinaury likes this.

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Carrier
    AOKP

Yes. I am running McAfee. Should I turn it off? Hell I will uninstall it while I do this if it will fix my phone.
    melvinaury likes this.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock for now

I found this

"I know this has been posted before but I still have not found any responses. Here is my situation:

*My computer recognizes the phone
    *ODIN recognizes the phone
    *the phone is in download mode
    *ODIN gets stuck
    *I have tried multiple times, but it continuously gets stuck at DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
    *The max I have waited is around 30ish minutes
    *3 button combo works on my phone
    *I have tried non-one click ODIN to JH2 and it freezes on modem.bin

I have used ODIN before, and I have no idea why this is not working. If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated.

PROBLEM SOLVED: Antivirus software screwed with ODIN"
    melvinaury likes this.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast