Voodoo lagfix for Captivate is out

alphadog

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I just installed it and no more lag in the email app - deletes and moving between emails is very fast.

This lagfix modifies the kernel and then converts the file system to EXT4. I never tried the others as they seemed to much like a hack.

Voodoo (beta4) EXT4 lagfix for Captivate - xda-developers

I was rooted and had the Battery Circle Mod - this was just a quick update.zip install - it replaces the battery circle with a percentage bar, but others have just reinstalled the battery circle. I like the smaller battery icon with %.

There is no wake lag with this and no problems so far. It is non-destructive install, but does replace the kernel, so removing it is a little more work.

Project Voodoo, Galaxy S improvements | Open Source project homepage

writerman

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
pretty awesome, huh...

I am beta testing SRE v2b7 right now, which includes the voodoo lag fix.

Nice stuff.

Yeah, it's pretty awesome! This is the first lag-fix that I've tried, so I can't speak to any of the others but, this one really did the trick for me.

I was aware of the lag before the fix but didn't really realize how bad it was until now that it's gone. My Captivate is all kinds of speedy, now.

flashman03

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
This is supposed to be the most stable lagfix around. I am happy with it, I get my wordfeud notifications almost instantly compared to not getting them for several minutes if at all. Smoother scrolling and I am just really happy with the market place now. To me this is the best fix available.

slevine

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
This has broken my phone

It filled the internal storage. It did fix the lag though. Now I can't receive texts and i can't figure out how to get it off. I would not use this at all.

TheBronze

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Nice first post there.

Based on the thousands of happy users of this filesystem fix I'd say there is something else going on with your phone or you did something wrong.

XANAX

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
So, if I have the latest Cognition ROM installed would I benefit from this? And how would I install it?
You would most likely benefit from it. It's already installed with Cognition...you can access it by booting into Recovery then use the volume buttons to scroll down and power to enter into Lagfix. I don't remember if it's enabled by default.

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
You would most likely benefit from it. It's already installed with Cognition...you can access it by booting into Recovery then use the volume buttons to scroll down and power to enter into Lagfix. I don't remember if it's enabled by default.

It is enabled by default. That's why that robot lady is talking to you when you first install the ROM. Love me some Cognition.

pittsm

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
ok, maybe i'm picky, i have cognition with lagfix enabled but it still seems laggy. Is it just me or is there something else i can do?

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Depends on where you are seeing the lag. It is generally believed that the i9000 based ROMs (everything pretty much except Cog) are a little faster. I have not personally noticed that, but the ROM developers pretty much all say it, so I presume it is true.

Also, you could use an overclocked kernel and clock up to 1.2Ghz, which most of the Captivates can handle. The only places this seems to REALLY help though, is full screen Flash content and games. If that is where you are seeing some lag, perhaps that might help. Please note that you may sacrifice stability for speed with OC- not all CPU chips are created equal... but the processor from Samsung seems quite capable, and most people start running into trouble not with the Overclock, but with the Undervolting (UV) that is enabled along with it. I leave both alone, so on your own there.

Where are you seeing the lag?

Reactions: pittsm

pittsm

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
most noticeably just through general scrolling and moving around, apps take a sec or two to open, even the app drawer is kind of slow. it comes and goes though, sometimes it is smooth and sometimes its not. Not sure, could it be something else like launcher pro causing this?

I was streaming afull screen tv show last night and noticed that at times the audio didn't matchthe video and then it'd catch up but i just assumed that was my internet speed.

thanks for the input.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I have seen when you have the 3D app drawer in LauncherPro enabled, and a bazillion apps, you can lag that out. Disable the 3d effect and see if it goes away. A second or two for apps to open is normal for most apps, and as for the video/audio sync... that could unfortunately be like you thought, or any number of things including a badly encoded video itself.

Which version of Cog are you running? Stock Cog kernel, or ?? You may want to reboot into recovery and check the voodoo settings to make sure it is enabled. That should be fast enough to avoid the general lag from moving about... in fact, that is exactly what the lagfix is supposed to fix.

Reactions: pittsm

pittsm

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
cog v.3.04, stock kernal.

Like I said its nothing too major, just sometimes lags a bit, nothing i can't live with. thanks for all your help.

s2h2golf

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
As loraque said, you can switch to a kernel that can be overclocked and see what happens. I always had some lag with Cognition with the stock kernel, especially when opening apps. When I switched to an I-9000 ROM with a OC/UV kernel, most of that went away. Currently running at 1.34ghz, my apps open almost instantly - especially email.

bish0p34

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
After installing the Voodoo lag fix, I can no longer plug my phone in to my pc and access the storage without USB debugging enabled. Is this normal?

edit: after some searching, I found that if you change the settings to samsung kies and back, it seems to work normally.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz