Trying to figure out if my Captivate is rooted? Help Pls

seanwalton08

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I bought a Samsung Captivate AT&T from a guy off ebay and he never mentioned it being rooted. I think it might be so I emailed him and he said it is stock but i don't believe him. I am using the phone with Rogers. I am also missing the System Updates function in About Phone. Here is the info. Any help would be appreciated.

Model: SAMSUNG-SGH-I896
Firmware version: 2.1-update1
Baseband version: I896UXJH4
Kernel version: 2.6.29 root@SEI-28 #2
Build number: ECLAIR.UXJH4

I'm worried that with this version I won't get the update from AT&T that they are sending OTA? Thanks everyone!

flashman03

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I bought a Samsung Captivate AT&T from a guy off ebay and he never mentioned it being rooted. I think it might be so I emailed him and he said it is stock but i don't believe him. I am using the phone with Rogers. I am also missing the System Updates function in About Phone. Here is the info. Any help would be appreciated.

Model: SAMSUNG-SGH-I896
Firmware version: 2.1-update1
Baseband version: I896UXJH4
Kernel version: 2.6.29 root@SEI-28 #2
Build number: ECLAIR.UXJH4

I'm worried that with this version I won't get the update from AT&T that they are sending OTA? Thanks everyone!

Do you have an app called Superuser?

jflexe99

Droids!
Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Then probably not...

Even if you were, you can flash back to stock. Which is SUPER easy and takes like 5 minutes.

Do you want to go rooted?

flashman03

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, you are not rooted. I suggest reading at xda, that is where all the dev happens and majority of issues are really helped at when it comes to rooting and so forth.

seanwalton08

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to go to Stock. Can anyone direct me to the proper downloads for that or instructions? Thanks again everyone. Also when going back to stock does this mean it will wipe out all my data? Not that I mind would just like to know.

flashman03

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I think that is one of the newer builds that came out within the last couple weeks. You don't need to be rooted to change a kernel. Go to xda forum and in the development section there is a program called odin 3 one click. It is in a thread with the same name. Download that. Just follow the instructions in the first post of said thread and it will put you back to JF6. If you do master clear second you will wipe the entire phone as if you bought it new.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC