Need help on how to root. im a noob

solost26

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
ok so if some one can walk me through or help me on how to root my samsung captivate from my mac ive been trying to find ways but nothing is working anything will help. thanks for ur time

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
ok so if some one can walk me through or help me on how to root my samsung captivate from my mac ive been trying to find ways but nothing is working anything will help. thanks for ur time

Download z4root from here

Sideload it to your phone using http://forum.androidcentral.com/and.../24362-sideload-wonder-machine-linux-mac.html

after its on your phone, go to your app drawer find the z4root application
open it and hit permanent

it will reboot and you will have root

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Ok, haven't worked with samsung or apple much, but the best I've been able to figure out, you will need to have a bootcamp partition and run Windows. Sorry, hopefully some others will be able to help more. Might check the Verizon Facinate forums as well. Might have some more info.

Edit: Thanks DroidXcon, wasn't sure Z4 worked for Samsung, lol.

MakaiOokami

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Getting kinda annoyed now.

This is the 2nd time I've tried to root my Captivate. First time I used the Odin 1 click. Followed the instructions, and it just sat there for hours with the black and yellow screen going "downloading" but with no progress bar of any way shape or form. After like 2 or 3 hours I just popped the battery and the phone is still working just fine but there's no way it should take that long.

Second time I did the 1 click root from the XDA developers, and I followed all the instructions 2 times. It rebooted, did the whole reinstall packages, had the "Debug mode" up. Waited for the phone to reboot itself after reinstalling packages, opened up Connectbot, tried typing

su

access still denied. I've followed all the guides, downloaded the Samsung Captivate 64 bit drivers, I can't figure out why this dang thing isn't rooted at this point. I'm freaking sick and tired of not having at least Froyo and no information of when froyo is even coming. I'm coming across too many apps I want to use that require froyo, there's some features in froyo I want access to, I'm curious about if it'll improve the performance of my Captivate... Dang it. What do I do?

Oh and FYI I've got a custom firmware PSP that I used the Lumines update hack. So I've done this sort of stuff before.

Oh and I also can't get Side Load Wonder Machine working either. Here is the error message
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\AC_SWM\payload\to_install.apk'.
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.FileSystem.FileCopy(String Source, String Destination)
at AC_SWM.frmMain.btnChoose_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
AC_SWM
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/MakaiOokami/Downloads/AC_SWMv1.1_10_30_BETA/AC_SWM/AC_SWM.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 10.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Core
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

prittyboy203

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Loo I hear ya just use z4root API and that will give you full root access and then get a recovery image on your phone like clockwork recovery and then flash a rom thru clockwork and the best way to get a faster performance on your phone is using a lag fix and a really optimized rom that has alot of the fatty crap taken out of the apk's that also let the ram on you phone to go faster also letting your battery life last longer

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

anneoneamouse

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Odin 1 click doesn't root your phone, it installs a ROM. I don't think (from memory) that that JF6 rom is rooted. This assumes you got it from here:

[STOCK ROM] Odin3 One-Click Downloader and Drivers CAPTIVATE ONLY - xda-developers

If you open your apps drawer, do you see a superuser application listed? If so you're rooted, and the problem is with connectbot.

What directory does connectbot start in? If the su binary isn't in that directory, maybe that's the source of the error.

Hope this helps,

AoN

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Odin 1 click doesn't root your phone, it installs a ROM. I don't think (from memory) that that JF6 rom is rooted. This assumes you got it from here:

[STOCK ROM] Odin3 One-Click Downloader and Drivers CAPTIVATE ONLY - xda-developers

If you open your apps drawer, do you see a superuser application listed? If so you're rooted, and the problem is with connectbot.

What directory does connectbot start in? If the su binary isn't in that directory, maybe that's the source of the error.

Hope this helps,

AoN

+1 yeah if you had actually successfully used odin your phone would have been wiped and you would have had a fresh out of the box phone

if you are looking to root watch these videos, i imagine you are on 2.1 so i suggest you watch that video
ROOTING 101
How To Root Samsung Captivate (Galaxy S 2.1 Android)
YouTube - Samsung Galaxy S (How to ROOT 2.1 ANDROID Eclair)

How To Root Samsung Captivate (Galaxy S 2.2 Android)
YouTube - Samsung Galaxy S (How to ROOT 2.2 ANDROID Froyo)

The reason odin failed was because you had a poor USB connection, you may want to try the following next time you use odin

-make sure you download the proper drivers for your phone
-disable any antivirus as it causes an interupt
-change USB ports preferably to the ones on the back of your PC which are closest to the mother board

MakaiOokami

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Loo I hear ya just use z4root API and that will give you full root access and then get a recovery image on your phone like clockwork recovery and then flash a rom thru clockwork and the best way to get a faster performance on your phone is using a lag fix and a really optimized rom that has alot of the fatty crap taken out of the apk's that also let the ram on you phone to go faster also letting your battery life last longer

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I can't use the Z4root. I can't side load cause I can't get Android Side Load Wonder Machine thingy working, and I can't side load without it cause ther'es no sideloading options on the Captivate.

*edit* oh snap I found that super user thingy. None of the guides mentioned that thing, not even "Android Central's: How to Tell if You're Rooted" posting had that info. So... sweet. I guess I am rooted.

How do I side load on this phone now? Or will I need to install a custom rom?

Last edited:

anneoneamouse

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Once you've got ADB installed- the phone connected to your PC with a USB cable, and USB debugging enabled- from a DOS command prompt (shown as a ">" on the next line), type:

>adb shell

You should see a "clear screen" command executed, and something about a daemon started, once that junk stops, the prompt will change to a "$" type:

$su

If the next prompt you see is a "#", then you've got root privilege. You may need to allow adb superuser privilege (the superuser app on the phone will ask you for confirmation). If that doesn't work, try the following command:

$/system/xbin/su

previous paragraph applies, you're hoping to see a "#" prompt.

#exit

to quit out.

Hope this helps, if so- consider clicking "thanks", it makes me happy.

Regards,

AoN

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyari6908