Odin Effects on Different Captivate Build Numbers

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
This is something that I don't think there is enough clear information on, so I figured it would be a good idea to figure out what goes with each number, and put together a guide.

If you have ever used Odin, please post the following information:

Build Number (4-digit number located under your battery, should be 10xx)
Did your 3-button combo for download work before using Odin one-click (not the manual Odin)?
Did it work after?

I'll update this as more people post. Here's what I have heard so far:

1007 & under: 3-button combo always works, should never break.
1008: 3-button combo does not work, jig (or fix) required for download mode.
1009: unknown
1010: 3-button combo works before Odin one click, not after. (see below)
1011: unknown
1012: mixed results, may be like 1007 or 1010

*If you have a 1010, see this post for how to use Odin and not brick. Don't freak out when Odin soft-bricks your phone and 3-button doesn't work, a jig will still work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nokia3595

bay_wolf

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I have a model 1012 and one click works perfectly everytime and I have the 3 button combo working afterwards so model 1012 is incorrect.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I have a model 1012 and one click works perfectly everytime and I have the 3 button combo working afterwards so model 1012 is incorrect.

Thanks, I had seen someone with a 1012 that had the same problem as my 1010, so I assumed they were the same.

Moxie3000

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Sorry guys, I've got a 1012 and can't get into either download or recovery mode to save my life. This worked before I flashed with Odin one-click.

I've had to order a jig. :-(

Gunn.Ink

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
1008: 3-button combo does not work, jig (or fix) required for download mode.

My wife and I both have build 1008. 3-button combo has always worked on mine, through numerous Odin one-click flashes. 3-button combo did not work on hers out of the box, but using Odin with the 3-button fix enabled it. I flashed Serendipity to hers and the combo still works. However, I have not tried to use Odin one-click to go back to stock.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
My wife and I both have build 1008. 3-button combo has always worked on mine, through numerous Odin one-click flashes. 3-button combo did not work on hers out of the box, but using Odin with the 3-button fix enabled it. I flashed Serendipity to hers and the combo still works. However, I have not tried to use Odin one-click to go back to stock.

Was yours brand new when you got it? That's the first I've heard of 1008 not having that problem.

I'm pretty sure 3-button fix doesn't hold through an Odin flash.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
its right under the S/N:

and right above the SKU:

yep, that is where the 1101 number is. As far as using Odin... The three button does still work for download. I have to hold down Power, Volume Up, and Volume Down... Right when the ATT logo shows up I have to release the power button and plug in the usb plug... Not using a jig at all. Works every time. If I want to get to recovery, I just hold down all three buttons and release all of them when the ATT logo appears.

lce67

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
i have a 1106..going to try to flash back to 2.1 when i get home will post results..i can get to download mode with this ver..

jthompson0019

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Any luck with build 1106? I tried multiple roots and could not get any to work. Didn't try to odin back though. Was trying for a friend and don't have the phone anymore but would still like to help.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

nbell978

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I have confirmed this method I found on another forum (don't remember which one) to work on my friend's 1008 build, my 1009 build, and another friend's 1012 build Captivates to get into download mode.

1. turn phone off
2. pull battery, sim card, sd card
3. wait 10 seconds, plug in usb, and hold both volume buttons (NOT power button)
4. put battery in. should instantly be in download mode

This still worked after using both Odin one click, and manual odin on my 1009, I'll try my friend's 1008 after I use Odin to flash the 2.3.4 leak on his phone Thursday.

lce67

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
i have a 1108 version and rooted with soc 1.7 downloaded from ls377 guide with no problems even got non market installs. first try didnt work had to install kies mini from samsung site but after that pluged in phone with usb debug mode on let install drivers unplug phone remove battery replace battery power on phone enable usb debug connect phone to pc wait 5 sec run super one click didnt change any settings just clicked root when finished clicked nonmarket when finished unplug phone from pc then reboot phone and was rooted and could install non market apps

nbell978

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
flashed my friends 1008 3 times today (ki1 rom, fugu kernel, then stock kernel), got into download mode every time with that method i posted above :)