[How-to] Root Froyo Official Release for Samsung Captivate

Status
Not open for further replies.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Download SuperOneClick v1.7

Unzip the .zip file, and open the SuperOneClick program.

Plug in your phone (with USB debugging enabled). Click "Root"

Click Yes/OK on all the windows that pop up.

If the test passes, you're now rooted!

TO INSTALL CLOCKWORK RECOVERY

Because the recovery on Froyo has changed, you have to downgrade to Eclair to install Clockwork. After doing that, you can use the Eclair root/clockwork methods to install clockwork.

If you really want clockwork with stock Froyo, check out this method.

Last edited:

X-BerryAddict

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
After Root

Thanks for all the good info, am now rooted, TiBu wants/is looking for busybox DL'd it and it will not install, "failed to locate install files" any suggestions?

phoneturf

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Same here. After installing and running SuperOneClick it passes the tests, although it failed reading the unlock code. Then can't install Busybox, after uninstalling and reinstalling busybox a couple of times. When installings, gets error message saying "The application failed, either because your device is not nand unlocked or we were unable to remount." I can't believe I was running a great 2.2.1 ROM and decided to try the official release.

X-BerryAddict

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
*Try redownloading the file.* Twice,installed,uninstall.....3 times same error

*If TI doesn't get SU permission you simply need to shut off and re-start your phone, update SU and get Busybox* 3 times, even Dl'd the PRO version and got the following error *The application failed, either because your device is not nand unlocked....*
So I did and Factory wipe (!) started over and same error's. I know I am missing something simple, You guys are great, I must be missing something simple?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
*Try redownloading the file.* Twice,installed,uninstall.....3 times same error

*If TI doesn't get SU permission you simply need to shut off and re-start your phone, update SU and get Busybox* 3 times, even Dl'd the PRO version and got the following error *The application failed, either because your device is not nand unlocked....*
So I did and Factory wipe (!) started over and same error's. I know I am missing something simple, You guys are great, I must be missing something simple?

is your phone in Debugging mode?

X-BerryAddict

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
is your phone in Debugging mode?

Yes, and I can see the "debugging mode" icon in ribbon,BTW I am a "1010" build, not sure if that matters but I seem to recall in some thread somewhere,something about the "1010" builds, Everything else, GPS,bluetooth,SMS,phone audio, LauncherPro,3d screens everything runs fast smooth, except installing TiBu

Update-Success! after a battery pull and plenty of cursing,the following worked;
1. root with super one click- reboot phone
2. download install TiBu- reboot phone
3. start TiBu, select problems button (after seeing denial of root) install busy box, allow su permission- Success, deleting bloat now

- Thanks to everyone who responded, and yes rereading every post twice does help, thanks again

Last edited:

Raven71

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Im having problems also If I use the Universal tab this is what I get

SuperOneClick v1.7.0.0
Killing ADB Server...

OK

Starting ADB Server...
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *

OK

Waiting for device...

OK

Pushing psneuter...
1464 KB/s (585731 bytes in 0.390s)

OK

chmod psneuter...

OK

Running psneuter...

This is what I get with the Captivate tab

SuperOneClick v1.7.0.0
Killing ADB Server...

OK

Starting ADB Server...

OK

Waiting for device...

OK

Preparing to copy nv_data.bin to sd...

OK

Copying nv_data.bin to sd...

OK

Pulling nv_data.bin...
2184 KB/s (2097152 bytes in 0.937s)

OK

Reading nv_data.bin...
Unlock code: FFFFFFFF
FAILED

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Im having problems also If I use the Universal tab this is what I get

SuperOneClick v1.7.0.0
Killing ADB Server...

OK

Starting ADB Server...

OK

Waiting for device...

OK

Pushing psneuter...
1464 KB/s (585731 bytes in 0.390s)

OK

chmod psneuter...

OK

Running psneuter...

This is what I get with the Captivate tab

SuperOneClick v1.7.0.0
Killing ADB Server...

OK

Starting ADB Server...

OK

Waiting for device...

OK

Preparing to copy nv_data.bin to sd...

OK

Copying nv_data.bin to sd...

OK

Pulling nv_data.bin...
2184 KB/s (2097152 bytes in 0.937s)

OK

Reading nv_data.bin...
Unlock code: FFFFFFFF
FAILED

The unlock code thing might not work on 2.2. What is your issue with the rooting part?

Raven71

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Ok I finally got it even though I have XP for some reason I had to run it has Administrator. First time I had to do that but it finally worked and I have super user rights.
The thing is I just got home from the Middle East and a run to Africa and all I did was hook my phone up to update files. I see a update available and before reading anything I did it. My phone was rooted with Z4 root and when it was done all I had was a blank screen. So I went and started from a fresh phone removing all my data. I didn't even realize it was a Froyo Update until I started reading the threads. Finally got it hope it works ok. Need to catch up on the talk about what is going on.

ibejack96

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I get to where it says "waiting for device" and then the program stops responding... i've tried shutting down the program and starting over again a couple of times and it does the same thing every time

chaplain

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Running 2.2 official update. I read in another blog to do the "shell root" first, so I did that, which went through fine, then did the "root" command. I rebooted, but did not get su status, so tried a hard reboot, removing the battery, etc. Booted back up with root! Just now used One Click Lag Fix and increased Quadrant benchmark from 835 to 1900. True.

EDIT: Used Win7 x64 for the root process.

Last edited:

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I get to where it says "waiting for device" and then the program stops responding... i've tried shutting down the program and starting over again a couple of times and it does the same thing every time

Reinstall, try another computer, make sure USB Debugging is on.

deb410s

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I just tried to root my phone and it said successful but
when I open Tibu it says NOT rooted. What am I doing wrong? When I use SuperOneClick should I first got to the Captivate tab and hit unlock code? Then go to Universal and hit root??
Thank you very much for your help!

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I just tried to root my phone and it said successful but
when I open Tibu it says NOT rooted. What am I doing wrong? When I use SuperOneClick should I first got to the Captivate tab and hit unlock code? Then go to Universal and hit root??
Thank you very much for your help!

Try rebooting. Unlock code doesn't have to do with rooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae