Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Remove captivate bloat 2.2 rooted

I have rooted my Captivate after updating to official 2.2. I have tried to follow the steps to remove bloatware, but I believe the SDK steps are different now because I keep getting access denied.

Any help would be appreciated

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

You need to have the system mounted as R/W. Download an app like Root Explorer that allows you to mount the system (I use Super Manager, mainly because it is free), and then give it a try.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Would Droid Explorer do the trick? Asking because I already have that installed.

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

Not sure, I think you have to do it from the phone (unless they made a Droid Explorer app, in which case it should).

ROM
    DLEVROM 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by ls377 View Post
    You need to have the system mounted as R/W. Download an app like Root Explorer that allows you to mount the system...
    Root Explorer has been the best $4.00 I've spent. (It's actually the only app I've ever bought, I'll go the cheap/free route everytime.)

It's a little tricky to use and because it gives you complete access to the phone's files, it can be a little dangerous.

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

Quote Originally Posted by mikeymopar View Post
    Root Explorer has been the best $4.00 I've spent. (It's actually the only app I've ever bought, I'll go the cheap/free route everytime.)

It's a little tricky to use and because it gives you complete access to the phone's files, it can be a little dangerous.
    I usually use adb. More of a pain, but it's hard to screw it up.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Alright, I got the Super Manager app installed. Now I am completely lost as to what I need to do now...

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

Quote Originally Posted by bookermorgan View Post
    Alright, I got the Super Manager app installed. Now I am completely lost as to what I need to do now...
    Dang, this would be a great time to actually have my phone haha.

Go into the File Manager, and it's either on the bottom bar, or after you press menu. It'll say something about system mounting or system r/w. Switch it to r/w, do what you need to, and switch it back to read only.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Ok, I have at the main screen:
    Task Manager
    APK Manager
    File Explorer
    Backup Restore
    Settings

If I go into File Explorer, the Menu there has Reload all Application Info. Directory Sort, Display Sort, Setup

The Settings has
    Root:
    Enable ROOT function
    select busybox file
    use silent installer
    Enable unmount card

And there is a ton more under different headers

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

Oh yeah, you need to enable root function.

It's not in settings I don't think. In the file explorer, is there a row of icons at the bottom? It should be one of those. It was a weird picture so it might take a minute to find.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

there was a change file MODE one. Brought up a box to allow owner group and other read write and execute privileges. all are checked, still get Read only file system when trying to execute:
    cp /dbdata/databases/com.android.providers.settings/settings.db /sdcard/settings.db

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

That's not it. Man, I wish I had my phone so I could find it for you. Keep looking, I know its there.

Maybe root explorer is worth the 4 bucks lol.

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/CyanogenMod7

My own app Bloat Freezer allows you to freeze apps instead of deleting them. Deleting them prevents you from getting future updates (Who knows if Samsung will ever push out another update though right?) while freezing them allows you to defrost the apps at anytime so you can use them again, or get system updates and it freezes/defrosts in one click making is super friendly and easy.

Bloat freezer is in the market. Titanium Backup Premium also has a freezing feature but is much more expensive.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Ok, well I found one issue...
    I couldnt write to the folder because the phone was going into mass storage mode...
    SO I may have beat it now...we shall see

ROM
    FireFly 3.0/SpeedMod K13E

I upgraded to froyo. Thinking about switching back to di11i. But back when I had stock eclair I did this. But with froyo I cant get rid of att maps, com.telenav, and com.yellowpages. I deleted the apk files under system apps. What do I do now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

I think you have to uninstall the apps before you delete. I had that issue on my Aria...I would delete the apk, but the app was still there, and I couldn't adb uninstall because it couldn't find it.

ROM
    FireFly 3.0/SpeedMod K13E

Lol at myself. A simple restart took them off after deleting the files.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk