Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Default Re: [How-To] Backup and Factory Restore Samsung Captivate

I installed the 2.3.5 following the instructions and download on that thread on this site but I could not figure out how to do the first step -the factory reset. As warned, the tethering manager force closes all the time.

I have build #1101 and tried to follow the instructions on this thread but now I'm lost. Following the thread 4 it seems like there is a missed step between 9+10. Where do I put the extracted files and which files?

Was I supposed to use the Thread 7 ODIN FOR 1010+ BUILDS instructions and files?

Thanks for your help.
    -Lost Noob

UPDATE: I tried the ODIN FOR 1010+ BUILDS instructions, but where are the .pit and .tar files? (it wasn't in the zip file in thread #7-that was the ODIN + it wasn't in the Samsung drivers in #2)
    Last edited by lazrracr; 11-27-2011 at 10:28 PM. Reason: New attempt
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #102  

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

Quote Originally Posted by lazrracr View Post
    I installed the 2.3.5 following the instructions and download on that thread on this site but I could not figure out how to do the first step -the factory reset. As warned, the tethering manager force closes all the time.

I have build #1101 and tried to follow the instructions on this thread but now I'm lost. Following the thread 4 it seems like there is a missed step between 9+10. Where do I put the extracted files and which files?

Was I supposed to use the Thread 7 ODIN FOR 1010+ BUILDS instructions and files?

Thanks for your help.
    -Lost Noob

UPDATE: I tried the ODIN FOR 1010+ BUILDS instructions, but where are the .pit and .tar files? (it wasn't in the zip file in thread #7-that was the ODIN + it wasn't in the Samsung drivers in #2)
    There's nothing to insert using one-click. The zip for post 7 should include 3 files, does it not?

Sent from my Captivate

Quote Originally Posted by ls377 View Post
    There's nothing to insert using one-click. The zip for post 7 should include 3 files, does it not?

Sent from my Captivate
    I tried downloading it again and you were right- 3 files were there. I was just being stupid and not unzipping it properly.

I did the factory restore, then the latest 2.3.5 update. I am in the process of restoring my backed up data now and it looks like it is all working properly.

Thanks for your help, getting back to me so quickly, and posting all this info in the first place!

Trying to mod my new Captivate. I have build number 1106, running Froyo, I can get into stock recovery and download mode.

I'm trying to follow the instructions in your other thread regarding installing CWM, you say I have to downgrade so I'm trying to do that - I assumed I had to follow the build 1010+ instructions, and I installed the Samsung driver pack you linked to. When I open Odin, the phone doesn't show up. Device manager shows an unknown device as "serial gadget" I tried manually installing drivers to that device from the zipped package but it doesn't recognize any of them and figured I should just ask what the heck I should do anyway.

Thanks for any help.

I should add, I didn't root it because as far as I'm aware I don't need to. There's nothing I need to back up.

Edit: well I just did method 2 for installing CWM, which was rather painless I might add. I would still like to know how to get this phone to work with Odin though, just in case I have to ever send this phone in to AT&T or I happen to brick the sucker.
    Last edited by mcshaggy; 12-13-2011 at 12:03 AM.

I would recommend buying a JIG. Its saved my a$$ so many times. Check it out

Samsung Galaxy S Download Mode JIG - MobileTechVideos.COM

Make sure you buy the one meant for our phones. Also the first one they sent me was bad so i sent it back and they sent me a new one that works.

Quote Originally Posted by mcshaggy View Post
    Trying to mod my new Captivate. I have build number 1106, running Froyo, I can get into stock recovery and download mode.

I'm trying to follow the instructions in your other thread regarding installing CWM, you say I have to downgrade so I'm trying to do that - I assumed I had to follow the build 1010+ instructions, and I installed the Samsung driver pack you linked to. When I open Odin, the phone doesn't show up. Device manager shows an unknown device as "serial gadget" I tried manually installing drivers to that device from the zipped package but it doesn't recognize any of them and figured I should just ask what the heck I should do anyway.

Thanks for any help.

I should add, I didn't root it because as far as I'm aware I don't need to. There's nothing I need to back up.

Edit: well I just did method 2 for installing CWM, which was rather painless I might add. I would still like to know how to get this phone to work with Odin though, just in case I have to ever send this phone in to AT&T or I happen to brick the sucker.
    It depends on which bootloaders you have, or happened to load- the key combo is different for i9000 bootloaders (VOLDWN+POWER). For i897, you need to do the battery pull, connect USB, push both VOLUP+VOLDWN and put the battery in.

Which do you have? It is different for Recovery too, so we should be able to figure it out.

after trrying the odin one click over and over... I used this.. worked perfect! thanks!

Hi,

Does anyone have the zip file from step 7?
    As we all know megaupload is gone, and I cannot for the life of me and google find a working link for the stock files to restore back to my 1010+ build as all the links are to megaupload and gone...

I made myself the famous 301k plug and ready to get my captivate back
    Last edited by brianlr7773; 02-10-2012 at 02:57 PM.

I am also looking for the files mentioned in post 7. I used odin one click on TWO phones now and they are both flashing the ATT start up screen!! (must be later than 1010)? I have a jig to get into download mode but cannot find any software to use with odin3, all are 404'd or gone with some government warning. I would prefer to go back to stock (eclair) but will take ANYTHING that will bring these phones back to life.

Thanks in advance for any help.

FIXED both phones w "Heimdall One Click 1.3.1" Worked like a charm!!!

Everytime I do this, I'll come here to say thanx. For the record, this is my second time...

THANK YOU!!! u make MOD community a breeze..

Hi There,

I was trying to stock back my Samsung captivate from instructions under your post#7(build 1011) [How-To] Backup and Factory Restore Samsung Captivate.

Seems the ODIN link was lost with Megaupload. Could you please update it again (or) send me a mirror?

Thanks in advance,
    Trinath

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE provide a new mirror for the files for Odin, Megaupload has been killed by the FBI and I cannot find the files needed anywhere else.

I have Galaxy S SGH-i897, build 1010, w/ GB. Before knowing this forum, I tried to root using Odin-1.7with.pit_.512.803 & loading PDA wi th "I897UCKF1-AutoRoot-DesignGears" (no file was load on PIT). .. Odin said PASS in green.. unplug USB, but phone not reboot & still in download mode .. can only pwr dwn by take out battery ..

Phone now can NEITHER be Boot up (only AT&T screen, then screen rolling for awhile then frozen) .. NOR.. go into download mode ( hold the power and up/down volume buttons together phone goes dark, then rolling screen with dark background & some white spot for awhile then frozen)

Any thing I can do (?) to at least get it to download mode?.. or get the phone back to working condition regardless of s/w version.. Thanks for the advices

Quote Originally Posted by trinaths View Post
    Hi There,

I was trying to stock back my Samsung captivate from instructions under your post#7(build 1011) [How-To] Backup and Factory Restore Samsung Captivate.

Seems the ODIN link was lost with Megaupload. Could you please update it again (or) send me a mirror?

Thanks in advance,
    Trinath
    Quote Originally Posted by benderhune View Post
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE provide a new mirror for the files for Odin, Megaupload has been killed by the FBI and I cannot find the files needed anywhere else.
    I'm going to echo these. Has anybody found a valid mirror or rehost of the 1010+ files?

Aw crap. even the NAME of the files would be helpful. I am sure SOMEONE who is still at this forum has these files somewhere.

I have a 2 year old Captivate and when I look under the battery, there is no 4 digit number starting with 10 anywhere to be found. Is there another way to determine the build number.
    Thanks!

ROM
    Serendipity VII

Quote Originally Posted by DrJ0nes View Post
    I have a 2 year old Captivate and when I look under the battery, there is no 4 digit number starting with 10 anywhere to be found. Is there another way to determine the build number.
    Thanks!
    Going from memory i don't think the number is by itself, i think it's in a larger strand of digits.

Sent from my cappy using tappy...
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345