1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #26  

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

Quote Originally Posted by JunGaList4323 View Post
    I figured it out, thanks for the help
    Glad you got it working.

I worked through the root and installed Clockworkmod and downloaded a couple of ROMS from your list, however, whenever I install a ROM and reboot, The ROM gets stuck on the first splash loading screen and never moves. I have tried this on three different ROMS and have had no luck.

Please note that when a new kernel is flashed, and when you do a ROM you almost always have a kernel included, it will need to rebuild the dalvik cache on boot. This can take 5-10 minutes the first time only. If you gave it longer than that, I would boot back into Recovery mode and apply the same ROM again.

When you go into Recovery mode to install from a zip file, is it green or blue?

EDIT- Also, which ROMs are you trying? If you are trying to do the new Gingerbread ones, there are additional steps that may not be covered in this topic.
    Last edited by loraque; 05-09-2011 at 03:36 PM.

I was trying to install three different mods from ls377's list. Trident, Platypus, and Javelin. I let it sit for about 25 minutes and it never went past the first splash screen. I have to reflash from odin and then root again and reinstall clockwork and then try again but each time I have the same result. Also, my build number is 1011. I can root just fine and am able to install non market apps but the stock ROM is terrible.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #30  

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

Quote Originally Posted by wyyup View Post
    I was trying to install three different mods from ls377's list. Trident, Platypus, and Javelin. I let it sit for about 25 minutes and it never went past the first splash screen. I have to reflash from odin and then root again and reinstall clockwork and then try again but each time I have the same result. Also, my build number is 1011. I can root just fine and am able to install non market apps but the stock ROM is terrible.
    Those 3 ONLY work with CM7 or MIUI. If you're trying other ROMS, use one of the non-CM kernels.

Quote Originally Posted by wyyup View Post
    Yes, as noted above, those kernels are not for Samsung ROMs, only for CM7 based stuff. The stuck at the screen thing is a clear kernel issue, and easy to fix with flashing the right one. No muss no fuss.

What ROM are you running? 2.2 or 2.3?

I figured that out about CM7. I am now running fire fly without a problem. Thanks for the write up!!

I was experiencing the "unable to verify signature: failed" as well. I used SuperOneClick to not only root the device but it also had a one click option to enable the unknown sources option. Everything worked great.

Default Re: [How-To] Samsung Captivate Root Froyo, Install ClockworkMod a

Trying install clockworkmod............I select reinstall package (in blue texts) and get and I quote
    Install from sdcard
    finding update package
    opening update package
    E:can't open/sdcard/update.zip
    (no such file or directory)
    Installation aborted

I install it on my mircosd card and rename update.zip.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

Quote Originally Posted by wirenutz197041 View Post
    Trying install clockworkmod............I select reinstall package (in blue texts) and get and I quote
    Install from sdcard
    finding update package
    opening update package
    E:can't open/sdcard/update.zip
    (no such file or directory)
    Installation aborted

I install it on my mircosd card and rename update.zip.
    I think the file at the download site is corrupted, since we had the same issue with someone else. I'll upload another one and post it, and let you know when I do.

EDIT: Try the link now, let me know if it works.
    Last edited by ls377; 06-29-2011 at 09:38 PM.

the link works............

next problem...............this is getting to be like my marriage

clockworkmmod wont read the roms installes on my sdcard.

I see the directory sd/ ,but it will not let me go farther.
    How do I install my roms where clockworkmod will see it-unzip it and install it

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ls377 View Post
    [INFO]Download Credit goes to CLShortFuse for this great program.

Unzip the .zip file, and open the SuperOneClick program.

Plug in your phone (with USB debugging enabled). Click "Root"

Click Yes/OK on all the windows that pop up.

If the test passes, you're now rooted![/INFO]
    Running stock Froyo (build FROYO.UCKB1, kernel 2.6.32.9) on Captivate.

Tried to root using SuperOneClick (tried once each using each exploit). In each case, SuperOneClick reported success, but my applications that need root cannot achieve root access. When they try, unlike my experience using rooted Eclair, the there is no popup from the SU application requesting root permission. The request apparently just times out and the application is unable to secure root access.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mds0001 View Post
    Running stock Froyo (build FROYO.UCKB1, kernel 2.6.32.9) on Captivate.

Tried to root using SuperOneClick (tried once each using each exploit). In each case, SuperOneClick reported success, but my applications that need root cannot achieve root access. When they try, unlike my experience using rooted Eclair, the there is no popup from the SU application requesting root permission. The request apparently just times out and the application is unable to secure root access.
    Turns out the phone needs to be rebooted after rooting. SuperOneClick does not tell you this but I found the tip someplace and everything works now.
    Thanked by:
    ls377 
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #39  

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

Quote Originally Posted by mds0001 View Post
    Turns out the phone needs to be rebooted after rooting. SuperOneClick does not tell you this but I found the tip someplace and everything works now.
    Thanks, I added that into the directions.

Hey folks. First, thank you for all the tips/tricks you provide. I've successfully rooted my Captivate and enabled sideloading with instructions I've found here. Initially, that's all I wanted, but now I'm interested in CyanogenMod.
    I've searched and read numerous posts, and maybe I'm just confusing myself with all the information I've found, but I have a question you may be able to help with.
    If I want to flash CyanogenMod, do I HAVE to ODIN back to Eclair first? My Captivate came stock with Eclair, and was upgraded to Froyo via Keis. Also, the ODIN instructions have a reference to the build number in the back of the phone. My build number is 1101, and the reference only discusses build numbers starting with 10.
    I have also read a lot about overclocking and saving battery life. Can you provide insight on how I can accomplish this? My understanding is that some ROMs have this built in, but does CyanogenMod?
    Thank you in advance!
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #41  

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

Quote Originally Posted by drlecter79 View Post
    Hey folks. First, thank you for all the tips/tricks you provide. I've successfully rooted my Captivate and enabled sideloading with instructions I've found here. Initially, that's all I wanted, but now I'm interested in CyanogenMod.
    I've searched and read numerous posts, and maybe I'm just confusing myself with all the information I've found, but I have a question you may be able to help with.
    If I want to flash CyanogenMod, do I HAVE to ODIN back to Eclair first? My Captivate came stock with Eclair, and was upgraded to Froyo via Keis. Also, the ODIN instructions have a reference to the build number in the back of the phone. My build number is 1101, and the reference only discusses build numbers starting with 10.
    I have also read a lot about overclocking and saving battery life. Can you provide insight on how I can accomplish this? My understanding is that some ROMs have this built in, but does CyanogenMod?
    Thank you in advance!
    You don't have to go back the Eclair to run CM. The only time you have to revert to stock for CM is if you installed anything with Gingerbread bootloaders. Otherwise, install clockworkmod, and go.

The instructions are because some builds can't use Odin one-click without soft bricking. It usually applies to builds 1010 and above, but I'm not sure about anything in the 1100's.

Overclocking won't save battery life, but undervolting will. It's not in stock CM, but you can install a custom kernel that will let you do it. You'll need the Voltage Control app to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ls377 View Post
    You don't have to go back the Eclair to run CM. The only time you have to revert to stock for CM is if you installed anything with Gingerbread bootloaders. Otherwise, install clockworkmod, and go.
    I can't seem to get into CWMR from ROM Manager. I have the update.zip on the root of the sd card, along with the Google apps zip file. Not sure what I'm doing wrong here.
    Thank you for the speedy reply! You don't mess around, huh?!
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #43  

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

Quote Originally Posted by drlecter79 View Post
    I can't seem to get into CWMR from ROM Manager. I have the update.zip on the root of the sd card, along with the Google apps zip file. Not sure what I'm doing wrong here.
    Thank you for the speedy reply! You don't mess around, huh?!
    If you're on Froyo, the recovery is signed, so there's an extra step to get it to work. I have it linked in the rooting sticky. You can also just flash back to Eclair and it downgrades the recovery.

Email notifications. Means I get bugged by replies to threads 24-7
    Thanked by:

Got flashed back to Eclair. Gonna root again and give it another shot. Thanks for your help!

Everything seems to be working fine except my Swype keyboard. Trying to restore it with TBu now, but I'm not sure it's going to work. Heard of this issue before now?

Got Swype back. After lots of searching, I found I'm not the only one that has had this problem. Here is the info in case anyone else needs it....
    You need the Swype Installer apk from here:
    Unzip the file and transfer the .apk file to your phone via usb cable.
    Use Root Explorer or similar to navigate to the SwypeInstaller.apk file and click to install.
    The rest is cake, just follow the on-screen instructions.
    The previous installers that were listed did not work, and I was getting a FC every time. With the installer linked above, I was able to get Swype working again on the first try.

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    ROM
    Serendipity VII

What kind of connection do I need (Media player, mass storage, or kies)?

Quote Originally Posted by TehNewGuy View Post
    What kind of connection do I need (Media player, mass storage, or kies)?
    Could you be more specific about what you are talking about? I apologize if I missed another part of your question, but to answer your question, I need to know what you are trying to do .

thanks to everyone for the great help..
    i have a 2 day old captivate ver 1106 and this guide worked without error.
    Thank you.

I've had my Captivate since it came out last year, and never updated to 2.2, what is the easiest way to do that so I can root it?

Thank you
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast