Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree2Likes

Default Re: [How-To] Samsung Captivate Root Froyo, Install ClockworkMod a

Quote Originally Posted by wirenutz197041 View Post
    Trying install clockworkmod............I select reinstall package (in blue texts) and get and I quote
    Install from sdcard
    finding update package
    opening update package
    E:can't open/sdcard/update.zip
    (no such file or directory)
    Installation aborted

I install it on my mircosd card and rename update.zip.
    I'm having the same issue. It is driving me crazy because this is basically the last step I need. I need help with this or at least the right file.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by mitaino767 View Post
    I'm having the same issue. It is driving me crazy because this is basically the last step I need. I need help with this or at least the right file.
    what version of android are you running?
    did you make sure you didnt accidently name it update.zip.zip?
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato

Was able to figure it out. Downloaded the ClockworkMod recovery app and flashed clockworkmod and now i got it to work

is there another or easier way to root my samsung captivate i upgraded it and now it says to root it and im having problems

Quote Originally Posted by afflicpain View Post
    is there another or easier way to root my samsung captivate i upgraded it and now it says to root it and im having problems
    did you use superoneclick? that's about the easiest way there is

very helpful!

im stuck on step one! it says waiting for device and just stuck. i researched and saw others had that problem too, but i THINK i tried everything but nothing works..
    any suggestion?

thanks!

Step one of what? Lots of step ones on this post .

I am guessing Odin download mode problem-

Do not use a front panel USB port, you must use one directly connected to the motherboard of your computer. Restarting Odin might help, and it is also possible that you need to reboot your PC. I would reboot your computer and try again- Odin and download mode can cause your USB to lock up on the PC.

no. not even, like the very first step, super one click!!

the soft will just stop responding at waiting for device. n i tried almost everthing i think.
    its 820am n im determined to do it! ahha

Quote Originally Posted by chaoschink View Post
    no. not even, like the very first step, super one click!!

the soft will just stop responding at waiting for device. n i tried almost everthing i think.
    its 820am n im determined to do it! ahha
    Make sure you have USB debugging enabled (MENU-APPLICATIONS-DEVELOPMENT).

Same USB problems apply that I mentioned in the post above.

EDIT- Oh, and make sure your phone is ON. Superoneclick is not done in download mode or anything.

i dont need do use odin if im on eclair still right?
    and im using a laptop so its all connected to motherboardi think

n yea debugging n power were both on.

thanks. tho

Not necessarily on the USB ports on a laptop. Use one on the back of the laptop, not the side. You still may need to reboot the laptop too, if you have not already done so.

Odin is used for certain things, irregardless of your current setup. What is your actual end goal? Just root, or loading a ROM, or ?

hmm root, then load cwm, then load cyanogen.

i have one usb right and 2 on the left. thats all i have. its lenovo g450

thanks for the suggestion man. o and i been trying to update all the drivers as we speak

edit
    Getting manufacturer...
    samsung
    OK 0.02s

Getting model...
    SAMSUNG-SGH-I897
    OK 0.02s

Getting version...
    UCJH7
    OK 0.02s

Checking if rooted...
    False
    OK 0.03s

Installing BusyBox (temporary)... - Step #1
    protocol failure

OK 23.95s

Installing BusyBox (temporary)... - Step #2
    startIndex cannot be larger than length of string.
    Parameter name: startIndex
    FAILED

and it just stops... did not crash or anything. anyone got a suggestion would be appreciated. thanks
    Last edited by chaoschink; 10-05-2011 at 02:05 PM.

my cappy is running CM7(android 2.3.7) loaded using Clockwork Recovery, it works fine. when I check to see if I'm rooted by opening terminal and typing SU I am not allowed, this tells me I'm not rooted. I have tried using super 1 click but it gets to waiting for device and never gets any further.

Also when I try to load other roms using rom manager they download and it acts as if it is going to load but never does...also doesn't seem to realy make a back up of current rom even though it says it does.

I believe all will work once I root the device. Any help or ideas are welcome. Thanks.

Hello. i have been reading here for a few weeks since picking up my used Captivate GS for a great price.

So far I have rooted the phone and unlocked it to run on my Tmobile SIM (AT&T phone). Thanks very much for the tips and the time you all have spent developing all the toys.

Brings me to my question.. I'm on stock 2.2 Froyo.UCKB1, Kernel 2.6.32.9

I would like to upgrade the ROM now.. CM7 should fit the bill. I havent done anything other than what I listed so far but i would really like to rid this phone of the AT&T bloatware and stream line it, and other cool stuff. I do have SuperOneClick on my computer and Titanium Backup (free one) on the phone.

What do I need to get this done... do I need ODIN to backdate to Eclair...ClockWorkMod Recovery..etc Lots of info on here and some of it is a few months old, not sure if there is a newer better way

Also are there any other ROMs other than CM7 that you would recommend?

Thanks and thanks again for all guys do...blows my mind.

edit.. just read that I could get rid of the AT&T stuff with TiBackup...did that now too. Oh and if it matters, my Build # is 1102.
    Last edited by EPiKCST; 12-14-2011 at 09:34 PM. Reason: added details

if i do this root, will i be able to delete all unnecessary stock apps, and tether for free?
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #67  

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

Quote Originally Posted by Applejax67 View Post
    my cappy is running CM7(android 2.3.7) loaded using Clockwork Recovery, it works fine. when I check to see if I'm rooted by opening terminal and typing SU I am not allowed, this tells me I'm not rooted. I have tried using super 1 click but it gets to waiting for device and never gets any further.

Also when I try to load other roms using rom manager they download and it acts as if it is going to load but never does...also doesn't seem to realy make a back up of current rom even though it says it does.

I believe all will work once I root the device. Any help or ideas are welcome. Thanks.
    I would manually flash something with CWM. There was an issue a few months ago with a Cyanogen nightly losing root, but it was fixed. Flashing the file again should fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by EPiKCST View Post
    Hello. i have been reading here for a few weeks since picking up my used Captivate GS for a great price.

So far I have rooted the phone and unlocked it to run on my Tmobile SIM (AT&T phone). Thanks very much for the tips and the time you all have spent developing all the toys.

Brings me to my question.. I'm on stock 2.2 Froyo.UCKB1, Kernel 2.6.32.9

I would like to upgrade the ROM now.. CM7 should fit the bill. I havent done anything other than what I listed so far but i would really like to rid this phone of the AT&T bloatware and stream line it, and other cool stuff. I do have SuperOneClick on my computer and Titanium Backup (free one) on the phone.

What do I need to get this done... do I need ODIN to backdate to Eclair...ClockWorkMod Recovery..etc Lots of info on here and some of it is a few months old, not sure if there is a newer better way

Also are there any other ROMs other than CM7 that you would recommend?

Thanks and thanks again for all guys do...blows my mind.

edit.. just read that I could get rid of the AT&T stuff with TiBackup...did that now too. Oh and if it matters, my Build # is 1102.
    To instally CM, all you need to do is install Clockwork, and then flash the CM file you want (stable/nightly). If you like playing around with ROMs, I would suggest trying out one of the ICS ports. It's just like flashing CM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyhenion View Post
    if i do this root, will i be able to delete all unnecessary stock apps, and tether for free?
    Yes, using apps requiring root in the market, such as Titanium Backup.

Sorry your questions took so long to get answered.

Well, since I get the FBI anti-piracy page when I try to click the link to download "update.zip", is there any other place I can get it?

Quote Originally Posted by drlecter79 View Post
    Well, since I get the FBI anti-piracy page when I try to click the link to download "update.zip", is there any other place I can get it?
    My thoughts exactly...
    Where did u hear tht word

ROM
    MiRaGe - IHO CM7.2

Quote Originally Posted by gregthomas View Post
    My thoughts exactly...
    Seconded....
    is this going to be updated soon??!
    any deb's in this forum??
    I myself am not using this phone but my friend is.

thanks for all this help...i really appreciate it......i was going to put the update.zip in sd card and there is one there.......1763kb.......should i replace it with yours or leave it and try your method

Quote Originally Posted by ls377 View Post
    INSTALLING CLOCKWORKMOD RECOVERY

[Note][B][COLOR="Red"]
    [INFO]1. Download this file. Rename it update.zip if it isn't already (Make sure it doesn't end up as update.zip.zip).[/INFO]
    The link is dead!

Default Re: [How-To] Samsung Captivate Root Froyo, Install ClockworkMod and flash a custom ROM

So I recently picked up one of these as kind of a cheap backup device. I planned on rooting and installing CM. I was surprised to see that CM 10 is available for this thing. I'm really interested in the step by step for rooting, but I'm noticing (just like everyone else) that several links are dead or send you to the FBI site b/c they were on outdated file hosting sites. Can anyone out there link to another guide with updated info? Does anyone have updated links? clockwordmod recovery isn't that hard to come by, but I haven't seen the superclick program to root all in one anywhere else. I have and have used odin for another phone, and I'm wondering if there isn't a way to use odin to get things done with this phone. ???

edit
    i found my own answers -
    http://androidforums.com/captivate-a...rn-kernel.html
    don't know if i'm allowed to post links, but there's an updated guide using a simple .tar file and odin over on phandroid
    it can also be done from the most current available version of android for the phone - 2.3.5 (from my understanding)
    many less steps and possibilities
    Last edited by cpolly69; 02-01-2013 at 09:08 AM.

Default Re: [How-To] Samsung Captivate Root Froyo, Install ClockworkMod and flash a custom ROM

That Update.zip file is not available now. That is uploaded in megaupload site which is not available now. Please give another link to download that file.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123