[How-To] Samsung Captivate Root Froyo, Install ClockworkMod and flash a custom ROM

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Re: [How-To] Samsung Captivate Root Froyo, Install ClockworkMod a

Hey folks. First, thank you for all the tips/tricks you provide. I've successfully rooted my Captivate and enabled sideloading with instructions I've found here. Initially, that's all I wanted, but now I'm interested in CyanogenMod.
I've searched and read numerous posts, and maybe I'm just confusing myself with all the information I've found, but I have a question you may be able to help with.
If I want to flash CyanogenMod, do I HAVE to ODIN back to Eclair first? My Captivate came stock with Eclair, and was upgraded to Froyo via Keis. Also, the ODIN instructions have a reference to the build number in the back of the phone. My build number is 1101, and the reference only discusses build numbers starting with 10.
I have also read a lot about overclocking and saving battery life. Can you provide insight on how I can accomplish this? My understanding is that some ROMs have this built in, but does CyanogenMod?
Thank you in advance!

You don't have to go back the Eclair to run CM. The only time you have to revert to stock for CM is if you installed anything with Gingerbread bootloaders. Otherwise, install clockworkmod, and go.

The instructions are because some builds can't use Odin one-click without soft bricking. It usually applies to builds 1010 and above, but I'm not sure about anything in the 1100's.

Overclocking won't save battery life, but undervolting will. It's not in stock CM, but you can install a custom kernel that will let you do it. You'll need the Voltage Control app to do it.

drlecter79

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

You don't have to go back the Eclair to run CM. The only time you have to revert to stock for CM is if you installed anything with Gingerbread bootloaders. Otherwise, install clockworkmod, and go.

I can't seem to get into CWMR from ROM Manager. I have the update.zip on the root of the sd card, along with the Google apps zip file. Not sure what I'm doing wrong here.
Thank you for the speedy reply! You don't mess around, huh?!

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site

I can't seem to get into CWMR from ROM Manager. I have the update.zip on the root of the sd card, along with the Google apps zip file. Not sure what I'm doing wrong here.
Thank you for the speedy reply! You don't mess around, huh?!

If you're on Froyo, the recovery is signed, so there's an extra step to get it to work. I have it linked in the rooting sticky. You can also just flash back to Eclair and it downgrades the recovery.

Email notifications. Means I get bugged by replies to threads 24-7 :p

Reactions: drlecter79

drlecter79

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

Got flashed back to Eclair. Gonna root again and give it another shot. Thanks for your help!

drlecter79

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

Everything seems to be working fine except my Swype keyboard. Trying to restore it with TBu now, but I'm not sure it's going to work. Heard of this issue before now?

drlecter79

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site

Got Swype back. After lots of searching, I found I'm not the only one that has had this problem. Here is the info in case anyone else needs it....
You need the Swype Installer apk from here: The Swype Installer APK
Unzip the file and transfer the .apk file to your phone via usb cable.
Use Root Explorer or similar to navigate to the SwypeInstaller.apk file and click to install.
The rest is cake, just follow the on-screen instructions.
The previous installers that were listed did not work, and I was getting a FC every time. With the installer linked above, I was able to get Swype working again on the first try.

Alex.Kim

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

What kind of connection do I need (Media player, mass storage, or kies)?

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site

What kind of connection do I need (Media player, mass storage, or kies)?

Could you be more specific about what you are talking about? I apologize if I missed another part of your question, but to answer your question, I need to know what you are trying to do :).

lce67

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site

thanks to everyone for the great help..
i have a 2 day old captivate ver 1106 and this guide worked without error.
Thank you.

d0d0b0red

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site

I've had my Captivate since it came out last year, and never updated to 2.2, what is the easiest way to do that so I can root it?

Thank you

mitaino9000

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site

Trying install clockworkmod............I select reinstall package (in blue texts) and get and I quote
Install from sdcard
finding update package
opening update package
E:can't open/sdcard/update.zip
(no such file or directory)
Installation aborted

I install it on my mircosd card and rename update.zip.

I'm having the same issue. It is driving me crazy because this is basically the last step I need. I need help with this or at least the right file.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

I'm having the same issue. It is driving me crazy because this is basically the last step I need. I need help with this or at least the right file.

what version of android are you running?
did you make sure you didnt accidently name it update.zip.zip?

mitaino9000

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site

Was able to figure it out. Downloaded the ClockworkMod recovery app and flashed clockworkmod and now i got it to work

afflicpain

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site

is there another or easier way to root my samsung captivate i upgraded it and now it says to root it and im having problems

chaoschink

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

im stuck on step one! it says waiting for device and just stuck. i researched and saw others had that problem too, but i THINK i tried everything but nothing works..
any suggestion?

thanks!

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site

Step one of what? Lots of step ones on this post :).

I am guessing Odin download mode problem-

Do not use a front panel USB port, you must use one directly connected to the motherboard of your computer. Restarting Odin might help, and it is also possible that you need to reboot your PC. I would reboot your computer and try again- Odin and download mode can cause your USB to lock up on the PC.

chaoschink

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

no. not even, like the very first step, super one click!!

the soft will just stop responding at waiting for device. n i tried almost everthing i think.
its 820am n im determined to do it! ahha

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site

no. not even, like the very first step, super one click!!

the soft will just stop responding at waiting for device. n i tried almost everthing i think.
its 820am n im determined to do it! ahha

Make sure you have USB debugging enabled (MENU-APPLICATIONS-DEVELOPMENT).

Same USB problems apply that I mentioned in the post above.

EDIT- Oh, and make sure your phone is ON. Superoneclick is not done in download mode or anything.