[How-To] Samsung Captivate Root Froyo, Install ClockworkMod and flash a custom ROM

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Finally tired of the poor excuse for a ROM that AT&T and Samsung have provided us? Join the club. This guide will either help you root your phone, or help you install one of the many awesome custom ROMs available for the Captivate.

1. Index
2. FAQ's
3. Rooting
4. Backup
5. Installing Clockworkmod Recovery
6. Choosing and Installing a ROM
7. Restoring
8. Troubleshooting

[warn]DISCLAIMER: Me, Android Central, or any member of these forums, are not responsible for what you do to your phone.[/warn]

Last edited:

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
FAQ's

What is rooting?

[INFO]See Jerry Hildenbrand's article about rooting for an in-depth explanation.[/INFO]

What is a custom ROM?

[INFO]A custom ROM is a modified version of the OS that adds features/removes bugs or restrictions. The developers create these just for fun, without promise of monetary compensation. So be nice.
[/INFO]
What is Clockworkmod?

[INFO]Clockworkmod is a recovery replacement for Android. Files can be packaged for installation in clockworkmod, and this format it what is generally used for custom ROM installation.[/INFO]

Why do I want to install a ROM?

[INFO]Short answer: Samsung is bad at software
Long answer: ROMs can add cool features and fix bugs that are present in the stock software, as well as take away some restrictions put in place (such as sideloading apps).[/INFO]

What if I change my mind/need warranty repair?

[INFO]Use this.[/INFO]

Last edited:

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
ROOTING

[NOTE]If you just plan on installing a custom ROM, without backing up your apps, you can skip this step. This method works on Froyo and Eclair.[/NOTE]

[INFO]Download SuperOneClick v1.7 Credit goes to CLShortFuse for this great program.

Unzip the .zip file, and open the SuperOneClick program.

Plug in your phone (with USB debugging enabled). Click "Root"

Click Yes/OK on all the windows that pop up.

If the test passes, you're now rooted! Reboot and try using a root app.[/INFO]

[TIP]ENABLE SIDELOADING

See this method, or use the tab in SuperOneClick.[/TIP]

Last edited:

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
BACKUP

When you install a new ROM, you usually lose ALL of the data on your device. Luckily, there are some simple utilities you can use to save this data.

[TIP]Not sure what to back up or how? PvilleComp wrote up a great guide about what and how to back up your data when switching ROMs. Check it out.[/TIP]

Last edited:

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
INSTALLING CLOCKWORKMOD RECOVERY

[Note]If you are on Froyo (2.2), this WILL NOT WORK. You have two options:

A. The easy way: Odin back to Eclair. Instructions HERE.

B. The hard-ish way: Modify the existing recovery to accept unsigned zips. Instructions HERE.
[/Note]

[INFO]1. Download this file. Rename it update.zip if it isn't already (Make sure it doesn't end up as update.zip.zip)

2. Transfer that file to your INTERNAL SD card. Make sure you delete any files that share the same name (there shouldn't be).

3. Power off your phone. Boot into recovery by holding both volume buttons and pressing the power button.

4. You should boot into a black screen with blue text. This is recovery mode. Select "reinstall packages" using the volume buttons to navigate and the power button to select.

5. Let it do its thing. When it reboots, you'll be back in the same menu. Do step 4 again, and this time it should instantly go to a green menu. This is clockwork recovery.[/INFO]

Last edited:

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
CHOOSING AND INSTALLING A CUSTOM ROM

Chances are, you've already picked out a ROM by now. If you haven't, you need to.

[TIP]See this thread for a list of custom ROMs you can flash. Download the appropriate file for the ROM you want. It should be in <ROM NAME>.zip format. Make sure you read the thread for any special instructions on installing the ROM. This method works for most ROMs, but not all.[/TIP]

[INFO]1. Transfer the ROM file to your internal SD card.

2. Reboot into recovery using the same method as before.

3. Now go to "install zip from sd card" and then "choose zip from SD card" and navigate to where you put the ROM file. Confirm, and let it install.

4. Go back to the main menu, and select "reboot system now".

5. You may get a menu asking about lagfix conversion. Pick whatever option suits you. Otherwise, the phone will reboot into your new ROM.[/INFO]

[WARN]There are now some non-CM Gingerbread ROMs floating around. These currently require flashing a file through Odin that contains bootloaders (boot.bin and sbl.bin).These are dangerous and CAN BRICK YOUR PHONE if the flash fails. Be sure to read all the appropriate information and understand what you are doing before you start flashing.[/WARN]

Last edited:

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
RESTORE

[INFO]Apps

Go to the market and sign in. Download Titanium Backup (plus the PRO key, if you bought it). Open it up, go to Backup/Restore, hit menu and select Batch.

[TIP]This is the part where your life gets difficult if you didn't buy it. Just go buy it...we'll wait.[/TIP]

Done? Good. Now select Restore User apps+data (NOT SYSTEM), and let it run. When you're done, all your apps will be reinstalled. If you have an issue with them not linking to the market, there is a "Market Doctor" option.[/INFO]

[INFO]Restoring Contacts

Backup to Gmail account (Recommended)

Step 1. From the Home screen, touch the menu button
Step 2. Touch settings
Step 3. Touch accounts & sync
Step 4. Touch the Gmail account of your choice under Manage accounts
Step 5. Touch Sync contacts

Import From SD card (Recommended)
Step 1. From the Home screen, touch contacts
Step 2. Touch menu
Step 3. Touch Import/Export
Step 4. Touch Import From SD card[/INFO]

[INFO]Restoring SMS/Call logs: Use whatever app you used to back it up.
Restoring media: Copy and paste from your backup to your internal SD.[/INFO]

Last edited:
Reactions: oldbaldy

TheKat

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Could some one help me here. Every time i try to reinstall the packages it says signature verification failed.

You are likely on 2.2 (Froyo) ... Go look at #5 (http://forum.androidcentral.com/t-c...clockworkmod-flash-custom-rom.html#post739910) on how to downgrade.

Note that I had a problem after downgrade. Nothing I did made me able to access the internal storage over USB. I ended up having to:

- transfer my desired ROM to my microSD external storage card via a card reader
- Insert microSD card
- Use the file manager to move the ROM from the 'external' storage to 'internal' storage
- I could then continue with ROM installation.

After I got a new ROM installed (I did Andromeda) my USB storage worked fine again.

snottyshirts

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
How to root newly upgraded Captivate

Hello,
I recently upgraded my Captivate to 2.2 through samsung's website link and have a few questions about rooting the phone.

1. once I root, will that affect any future OS upgrades (easy to "unroot" if necessary?)
2. Since I upgraded "officially" does that affect my ability to root the phone?
3. is there a link that you could provide to accomplish the root for 2.2

Sorry for the nooby questions, hope someone can help.
Thanks!

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
1. Depends on what you do. If you just use TiB and unroot then there shouldn't be a problem, but if you do something more involved, then updating might not be a good idea.
2. No, it just makes it a little harder to install Clockwork if you want to.
3. The Captivate Root link in my signature takes you to that thread.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
ROOTING

Note: If you just plan on installing a custom ROM, without backing up your apps, you can skip this step. This method works on Froyo and Eclair.

Download SuperOneClick v1.7. Credit goes to CLShortfuse for this great program.

Unzip the .zip file, and open the SuperOneClick program.

Plug in your phone (with USB debugging enabled). Click "Root"

Click Yes/OK on all the windows that pop up.

If the test passes, you're now rooted!

Post edit fail, ignore this.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jkpdon

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
INSTALLING CLOCKWORKMOD RECOVERY

Note: If you are on Froyo (2.2), this WILL NOT WORK. You have two options:

A. The easy way: Odin back to Eclair. Instructions HERE.

B. The hard-ish way: Modify the existing recovery to accept unsigned zips. Instructions HERE.

1. Download this file. Rename it update.zip (Make sure it doesn't end up as update.zip.zip)

2. Transfer that file to your INTERNAL SD card. Make sure you delete any files that share the same name (there shouldn't be).

3. Power off your phone. Boot into recovery by holding both volume buttons and pressing the power button.

4. You should boot into a black screen with blue text. This is recovery mode. Select "reinstall packages" using the volume buttons to navigate and the power button to select.

5. Let it do its thing. When it reboots, you'll be back in the same menu. Do step 4 again, and this time it should instantly go to a green menu. This is clockwork recovery.

Actually I loved Method 2. It was simple as cake for me. worked fine.Thnx much. very much.

Reactions: garbagehead

JunGaList4323

May 1, 2011
Visit site
Problems trying to root

I am trying to root my sam cappy and I am so lost.

I am following the instructions for rooting now, and I have dl the one click app and unzipped and opened it.

Then I plug in the USB. I had to google search how to enable usb debugging. Once I found that I enabled it, and plugged my phone in and opened up the one click app and hit Root.

I am still waiting for my device to respond.

Does it matter that when I plug my phone in to usb i get an error on my cpu stating there is an error installing my device to cpu?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11