1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Installing Amazapp store on Captivate Root

I have a 2.2 (roger's I think) root access Captivate, I'm in America, and I tried installing the Amazon App Store but it said that it's disabled by default. Mock Locations is already set to "on"

I haven't really sideloaded anything to my phone before. I'd like to see if I can install in a standard method before hooking it up to my computer, grabbing an APK, and sideloading it that way, cause I'm worried I might have to side load any Amazon App I buy using that method.

Isn't there a way that I can just hack away at AT&Ts control freakiness? Preferably without hooking my phone up to a PC.

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

You have "unknown sources" checked right?

If it's a Rogers Captivate, there shouldn't be any issues on the phone's end, root or not.

I am operation on a 2.1 OS and i do not have the option to to select the unknown sources. I want to download the amazon apps. HELP!!!

ROM
    Serendipity VII

sounds to me like you need a custom rom, if you have a stock captivate and all you did was rooted it, it still won't let you install non market apps.

edit: haven't tried messing with amazon's app store, but could this be the reason?

edit again: downloaded amazon app store and is working fine, currently downloading angry birds off of it to try. must be something your doing wrong. try getting the file from here:
    Last edited by pittsm; 03-25-2011 at 10:22 AM.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by pittsm View Post
    sounds to me like you need a custom rom, if you have a stock captivate and all you did was rooted it, it still won't let you install non market apps.

edit: haven't tried messing with amazon's app store, but could this be the reason?

edit again: downloaded amazon app store and is working fine, currently downloading angry birds off of it to try. must be something your doing wrong. try getting the file from here:
    I did a Odin One Click in January around the end or so. I believe it was Roger's 2.2 unless it was an early build of the U.S. version. Mock Locations is supposed to be "Unknown Sources" right?

I've never heard anywhere that Mock Locations has anything to do with Unknown Sources. Mock Locations, from what I read, was to spoof your physical location for gps and testing purposes, or something to that effect. I could be wrong, and I'd like to know if I am.

I had to go the sideloading route to get the Appstore, and then also sideload each subsequent apk for the apps I wanted. Anything you try to directly install through the Appstore shows a blocked message, but the APK gets moved onto your phone regardless. It's a nuisance but I couldn't pass up the free stuff they were throwing out there. I doubt AT&T will make them free again if they ever do remedy this situation.

ROM
    Serendipity VII

everything is free if you know where to look.

i'm deleting the amazon appstore because i found no real advantage to it over the regular market.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by pittsm View Post
    everything is free if you know where to look.

i'm deleting the amazon appstore because i found no real advantage to it over the regular market.
    I know of an advantage. Getting free apps without pirating? Getting APKs that you know don't have a virus inserted from a market place that actually IS being curated?

I was hoping not to have to side load all this crap since I've already hacked the dang thing. I don't want to have to go through the hassles that come with loading a cyanogine mod either. So I guess I'll give this AmazApp store a try. Wish there was a Sideloading app that root users can use.

I won't get off of my current build though cause I do NOT want to lose my built in tethering. If I'm paying 25 dollars a month for 2 GB I will use those 2 GB however the heck I want to. Not paying 20 dollars to connect my DS and PSP once a freaking month. That's just plain old Informational Super Highway Robbery.

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts

What is the upside to the Amazon App Store? Is it much better than the Android Market?

ROM
    Serendipity VII

no, its basically the same, no real advantages. That's why i opted not to use it because i didn't see the point of having two programs that did the same thing. So i went back to the android market.

ROM
    FireFly 3.0/SpeedMod K13E

What I did was use superoneclick root(i think thats what its called). It has an option to allow sideloading. It doesnt give you the unknown sources option, but it enables sideloading permanently. Amazon works.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

I have the amazon app store on my captivate.

1st I rooted my phone
    2nd I used my usb cord to send a file from the phone to my pc
    3rd I used an SQL editor to edit a spot in that file marked "install no market apps" to "1" for on
    4th sent the file back to my phone replacing the original
    5th rebooted my phone
    6th downloaded the app from the net to my pc
    7th copied it to my phone then installed it

works great, and every day i install the daily free paid app

with the amazon app you need to run the app store to check for program updates that came from there because the google app store won't reconize that thoes apps are installed on your phone to look for updates.

also on the side anyone with a netflix account this is the same mothod i used to install the netflix app to my phone like the amazon app store.

I can stream my insta-q movies to my phone like on the HTC

note you also need to have flash 10.3 installed and Froyo 2.2