[Kernel][CM7] Platypus (4/07) Don't shoot the messenger

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
First things first: I am the the developer of this. I am just managing the thread at xda for zacharias.maladroit, and wanted to have one here, too. He deserves all credit for this.

Okay, now on to the awesomeness...

PLATYPUS KERNEL
For CM7/MIUI (untested) on the Samsung Captivate.

i9000 kernel thread (xda): [KERNEL][CM7] 03/04,platypus,Voodoo SOUND&COLOR,OC/UV,SLQB,LED notif,security,NODEBUG - xda-developers. Go here for more advanced information.

Features:
* jhash3 for better reliability (data connections)
* Voodoo Sound & Color v7
* simple i/o scheduler for better speed & performance
* preemptive tree RCU with smaller fanout value (better efficiency, speed & less memory usage with read-write-operations)
* SLQB for more efficient & faster handling of files in memory
* kernel & app security features (fstack-protector, better ASLR, disabled access to DEVKMEM & DEVMEM, ...)
* network security (syncookies; only secure redirects allowed; higher number of outstanding syn requests allowed; disabled warnings for invalid responses to broadcast frames; enabled window scaling; disabled IP dynaddr & ECN; log and drop "martian" packets; protection against: broadcast pings and smurf attacks, redirects for IP source routing, non-secure redirects, DoS (syn-flood) attacks, IP-Spoofing)
* disabled kernel DEBUG & disabled DEBUG in kernel code
* support of more encryption ciphers
* utf8 support (international)
* fixed & improved CFQ i/o scheduler (option)
* BFQ i/o scheduler (option)
* tweaked ondemand governor (raised the min_sample_rate of ondemand cpufreq governor to 9500)
* interactive cpufreq governor (option)
* smartass cpufreq governor (option)
* OC/UV support (to 1300) (option) (thanks to morfic, TheEscapist & bilboa1)
* laststufo's optimized CFLAGS for more speed (kudos & thanks to laststufo !)
* compiled with CodeSourcery 2010.09 toolchain (better code quality, stability & speed)
* CPU (CFS) scheduler optimizations (optimized branch brediction for more speed, low latency, load balancing); tighter scheduler timings for more speed & responsiveness;
* optimized cacheflushs for user apps (speeds up emulators and specific apps)
* optimized OOM (out of memory killer; apps being removed out of memory - when memory is full)
* faster deactivation & reclaim of invalidated pages (memory faster being available again after big file operations)
* vmscan & other fixes (better responsiveness with lots of read/writes & under load)
* ck-patches (patches by Con Kolivas, mm-lru_cache_add_lru_tail for more efficient memory usage)
* optimized writeback handling (less hangs & waits during write operations)
* script: 90screenstate_scaling: lots of CFS, writeback and cpufreq governor tweaks (less cpu ticks, less cpu looping & delayed writeback - better battery runtime)
* script: 89system_tweak: tweaks for faster data throughput; caller ringdelay (1 second); energy savings for CPU in standby mode, energy savings for radio; WIFI scaninterval to 180 seconds
* CONFIG_IKCONFIG=y & CONFIG_IKCONFIG_PROC=y
* CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_MATCH_MULTIPORT & CONFIG_IP_ADVANCED_ROUTER
* Stochastic Fair Blue (SFB) network scheduler for default network scheduler - kudos to the zen-kernel / zen-droid team !
* lots of fixes: fix potential memory corruption in buddy allocator of page allocator; potential lags / hangs / looping; security hole in tipc; potential deadlock in radix-tree
* data safety (2 patches of Nick Piggin's Inode integrity patches)
* [improved battery runtime] delay going tickless when CPU is loaded
* kernel timer at 128 Hz; USER_HZ 150 Hz; HIGH_RES_TIMER 300 Hz
* Google WIFI fix to let the CPU sleep more during non-usage of WIFI
* Wii Remote support (bluetooth profile)
* working kernel modules: ansi_cprng, bcm4329 (WIFI), cifs, scsi_wait_scan, tun
* ext4 stability & data integrity fixes
* LED notification (by bilboa1) (short how-to and FAQ)
* removing of the FPS limit (by bilboa1)
* DockSound support
* adjustments to the haptic feedback (by bilboa1)
* higher battery charging temperature [experimental, upstream]
* zram (successor of ramzswap / compcache - swapfile in RAM) [option]
* and everything I might have forgotten

Installation:
Install through Clockworkmod. Make sure you remove Voltage Control boot settings before you flash. Wiping dalvik cache is suggested, but not required.

TO ENABLE LED NOTIFICATIONS (BLN alternative):
See instructions here. If you have adb issues, use root explorer or a similar app.
Choose green as the color setting (dark colors will turn off notifications). Use Quiet Hours settings to turn on/off.

Use Voltage Control for OC/UV. Download here.

DOWNLOADS:
Release: Rocketeer (4/8/11):
DOWNLOAD
MIRROR

Older versions:
Test build (4/05):
DOWNLOAD
MIRROR

Last edited:

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
changelog

4/8/2011:

[additions since 04/06/2011]
* hung task timeout commented out (in my script)
* limits for system v ipc semaphores, max number of system-wide threads running commented out (in my script)
* limit for maximum number of system-wide system v ipc message queue identifiers commented out (in my script)
* optimization for sqlite database files (potential speedup of system and apps using sqlite)
* zram disabled (for now) - it breaks the browser (reboot) and other stuff [still available as option]
* optimized conservative & ondemand governors - conservative is recommended
* rewrote init-scripts to minimize delays & lags during switching screen on-off - less lags & delays
* [upstream] fixed bug with arm and delays during cpufreq switching
[additions since 04/06/2011]
* hung task timeout commented out (in my script)
* limits for system v ipc semaphores, max number of system-wide threads running commented out (in my script)
* limit for maximum number of system-wide system v ipc message queue identifiers commented out (in my script)
* optimization for sqlite database files (potential speedup of system and apps using sqlite)
* zram disabled (for now) - it breaks the browser (reboot) and other stuff [still available as option]
* optimized conservative & ondemand governors - conservative is recommended
* rewrote init-scripts to minimize delays & lags during switching screen on-off - less lags & delays
* [upstream] fixed bug with arm and delays during cpufreq switching

Last edited:

xThaNaturalx

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
So with the LED notifications here, it's using the soft keys like BLN, but it gives you the option to change the colors for the notifications? Is that right? If so, I'm definitely going to flash this to my Captivate.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
So with the LED notifications here, it's using the soft keys like BLN, but it gives you the option to change the colors for the notifications? Is that right? If so, I'm definitely going to flash this to my Captivate.

No, you just use the settings that include colors. No matter what color you choose, it'll either be on (white) or off.