Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Exclamation Noob Alert: Voodoo on (Unrooted)Official 2.2 Captivate

I have an unrooted Official 2.2 Captivate. I want to get rid of the lag. Alot of people recommend Voodoo to get rid of lag on Galaxy S phones.

Does my Cappy need to be rooted for me to put Voodoo on it?

Or can I just do this:

1. Put captivate-voodoo3.0_bln_v1.10.zip as "update.zip" on my internal SD card

2. 3 button startup thing.

3. Reinstall packages

4. Then BOOM CITY. You're lagfix'd

Will that work?

Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I used to have a captivate and I remember some told me I had to be rooted to use the lag fix. Rooting is easy and fun though.
    Devices Past to Present
    • Blackberry Bold 9000
    • HTC Aria
    • Samsung Captivate
    • Google Nexus S
    • Moto Xoom

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

You need to have clockwork recovery installed. The method for installing it on Froyo is in the rooting sticky.

Sent from my Captivate

ROM
    Ultimatum 4.0.3

It's my understanding that as long as the kernel your flashing is rooted, and and has CWM included (almost all have both "out of the box") you can flash straight from stock 2e recovery as long as the file is named "update.zip" first.

I know Supercurio made a Voodoo kernel for stock KB1 2.2- if you intend to run the stock firmware I'd make sure the kernel is 100% compatible.

I am out of my element when talking about stock 2.2, however, I thought that the recovery included with 2.2, or one upgraded to 2.2, would be digitally signed. Or whatever. I don't think you can do the rename to update.zip.

That sticky mentioned above probably has an extra step for 2.2.

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

Quote Originally Posted by konazxiii View Post
    It's my understanding that as long as the kernel your flashing is rooted, and and has CWM included (almost all have both "out of the box") you can flash straight from stock 2e recovery as long as the file is named "update.zip" first.

I know Supercurio made a Voodoo kernel for stock KB1 2.2- if you intend to run the stock firmware I'd make sure the kernel is 100% compatible.
    I'm not sure if that works. CWM 2.x uses a different scripting method for installing things, and I think it was taken out of stock Android awhile ago, so to install something from 2e you have to have it in the updater-script format (I know there's names for these, I'm just blanking on them). The CWM update.zip and the rooting file are both formatted correctly, which is why they work. The kernel most likely uses the CWM 2.x style, so it probably won't.

I could be wrong, and it might work, but I don't think it will.