Captivate-- purchase locked or unlocked?

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Hi Captivate folks,

I had a Captivate when it was first released. However, I was new to the Android OS and I thought it was confusing and difficult and so I sold it and went back to iOS.

Now, after having a rooted Nook Color, I have a good grasp on the Android OS and I really wish I had the Captivate back. I know there are more current Androids available on AT&T now but I really liked the styling (still one of the best-looking phones on the market, imo), the 4 inch screen was just right, I loved the puzzle piece you slide to unlock when you miss a message, etc., so I want the Captivate again.

I noticed I can buy a Captivate on Amazon. The AT&T version is more expensive than the unlocked version (approx $540 vs $340). Can anyone tell me if I will have 3g speeds on a factory unlocked Captivate? Will I be missing anything other than AT&T crapware if I get the unlocked version?

I have also been checking out eBay however I know at least the first wave of Captivates sucked in the GPS area and that some people had better luck with the latter shipments so I am hesitant to buy a used one from eBay although I am not totally against it.

Thanks for your input.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
If its branded as a captivate then it should have the same radios in it as the locked or unlocked version.
For 3G to work properly you need to make sure your carrier supports HSDPA+/HSPA/WCDMA in the proper network bands.
Great exapmle is AT&T uses WCDMA 850 / 1900 / 2100 and TMO uses WCDMA in 1700 / 2100
So basically if you buy a TMO device to use with ATT service you will not get the speedier data services. Visa Versa. In the USA that is.
So if your on ATT and wont be putting another carriers sim card in your device, buy the locked version.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34