Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dilrod
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default I have the ability to add "unknown sources"

Lol, so I requested access to the xdm tool and I was granted it. I have successfully updated 3 phones so far. It is a very simple procedure. (For Captivate owners, YOU MUST HAVE 2.2 successfully updated onto your device)

1. Turn off wifi and restart your phone. If you want, text me your imei and I will text you back.

304-382-2158 is my at&t work cell. I will work with you through texting.

2. I only work until 9pm tonight, and I do have other things to do so I may not be able to answer right away.
    I will contine to look at this thread.

3. When I tell you ok, restart your phone, go to settings > applications > and you should see "unknown sources"

The three I have done so far took less than 5 minutes to do start to finish.
    davesgirl likes this.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: I have the ability to add "unknown sources"

No one here needs this?

Quote Originally Posted by Dilrod View Post
    No one here needs this?
    does it matter if we are rooted? i would like to have the toggle
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by nbell13 View Post
    does it matter if we are rooted? i would like to have the toggle
    I can try if rooted. Idk if it matters

didn't put the option there for me, but i'm also rooted. And it did take only about 5 minutes. hopefully the gingerbread update will have the option in there

Am I the first Captivate you tried?

Supposedly AT&T sent this to my phone 12 hours ago, but it still hasn't shown up. The tech support person this afternoon said to give it 72 hours and call back Wednesday. What the heck? I have left Wifi off all day, and restarted several times, but it's no go. Can I text you tomorrow and get it? Thanks!

ROM
    Serendipity VII

Quote Originally Posted by davesgirl View Post
    Supposedly AT&T sent this to my phone 12 hours ago, but it still hasn't shown up. The tech support person this afternoon said to give it 72 hours and call back Wednesday. What the heck? I have left Wifi off all day, and restarted several times, but it's no go. Can I text you tomorrow and get it? Thanks!
    Pushed from att its always on, no checkbox. Try installing a non market app and see if it works

Sent from my extremely awesome Captivate.

Quote Originally Posted by pittsm View Post
    Pushed from att its always on, no checkbox. Try installing a non market app and see if it works
    Nope, no go. Just tried something from the Amazon app store and got the same old message. I am incredibly frustrated with AT&T right now. Getting the functionality I should have anyway wasted a good chunk of my day on the phone yesterday and it doesn't look like today is going to be much better.

ROM
    Serendipity VII

Quote Originally Posted by davesgirl View Post
    Nope, no go. Just tried something from the Amazon app store and got the same old message. I am incredibly frustrated with AT&T right now. Getting the functionality I should have anyway wasted a good chunk of my day on the phone yesterday and it doesn't look like today is going to be much better.
    you could always root your phone and be done with it ya know.

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

Just so you know, if you have the Captivate it doesn't add the checkbox. You can call AT&T or use the web support chat and they will enable unknown sources for you but the only indication that it works is actually trying to add a source like Amazon App Store.

I'm sure the Gingerbread update will probably have the checkbox, so just wait it out, or root

Thanks for your help Dilrod! I had my Inspire off Wifi for the past two days, and restarted it probably 15 times. AT&T claimed they had already successfully sent it, but it didn't show up until you pushed it through again. You're awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Dilrod View Post
    Lol, so I requested access to the xdm tool and I was granted it. I have successfully updated 3 phones so far. It is a very simple procedure. (For Captivate owners, YOU MUST HAVE 2.2 successfully updated onto your device)

1. Turn off wifi and restart your phone. If you want, text me your imei and I will text you back.

304-382-2158 is my at&t work cell. I will work with you through texting.

2. I only work until 9pm tonight, and I do have other things to do so I may not be able to answer right away.
    I will contine to look at this thread.

3. When I tell you ok, restart your phone, go to settings > applications > and you should see "unknown sources"

The three I have done so far took less than 5 minutes to do start to finish.
    Thank you, it worked

I've been waiting for this update for ages, checking almost every day. Any way I can get this done now? I don't think I want to root my phone or anything like that. It should be a standard option.

Edit: Hah, never mind! Seems that it actually works... I had no idea. I've just been looking for updates with no luck, and looking for the check box, which now it looks like there isn't one. Amazon Appstore has been installed!
    Last edited by Sage_Viper; 08-21-2011 at 03:49 PM.

ROM
    FireFly 3.0/SpeedMod K13E

Quote Originally Posted by nbell13 View Post
    I'm sure the Gingerbread update will probably have the checkbox, so just wait it out, or root
    It does. I installed the leaked official gingerbread with all the art goodiness and unknown sources checkbox was there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

You would have to be stupid to give this guy your imei number...a lot of things he can do with it

i need this!

Hey dilrod, are you still doing this? I've called att twice this week and they've supposedly pushed it through but I haven't got it yet.