CyanogenMod on UCKB2?

Alex.Kim

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone. I've really been considering flashing CyanogenMod onto my Captivate, but I'm not 100% certain it will work. I got one of the new Captivates that already comes preloaded with 2.2 Froyo. Even though it's still an SGH-i897, it's supposedly a UCKB2 instead of the original UCKB1. Does this really make a difference? Can I still flash CyanogenMod? Thanks

konazxiii

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
I won't make any difference. After fixing the 3e recovery to allow flashing of ROMs you'll be good to go- just make sure to back any important data up and follow the install instruction of the ROM.

chrisleester

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
My phone also has UCKB2 stock. I was able to root. In USB debug mode, adb is able to connect. But Rom Manager is not able to overwrite the 3e recovery. Also I have never been able to get PCs to recognize the phone in download mode. Does any one have idea what is going on? I want to flash 2.3 badly. The 2.2 version really sucks battery.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
The newer versions have a signature check on the Recovery that is shipped with them. You either need to hack past that, or instead use ODIN to one-click back to Ji6 (the old stock Eclair).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-...yo-install-clockworkmod-flash-custom-rom.html

This thread should have everything you need, whichever option you choose. The best way is to ODIN to JI6, run the superoneclick root, install ROM manager, install CWM from ROM manager, and then install CM from ROM Manager.

Reactions: chrisleester

chrisleester

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the quick response! I am going to try hacking it since I have not been able to get my phone recognized by pc in download mode, but I am able to use adb.
The newer versions have a signature check on the Recovery that is shipped with them. You either need to hack past that, or instead use ODIN to one-click back to Ji6 (the old stock Eclair).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-...yo-install-clockworkmod-flash-custom-rom.html

This thread should have everything you need, whichever option you choose. The best way is to ODIN to JI6, run the superoneclick root, install ROM manager, install CWM from ROM manager, and then install CM from ROM Manager.

chrisleester

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
loraque, thanks very much for the help! I was able to follow the link and remove the recovery lock. After that, I installed CWM and from there flashed CyanogenMod. Now my first problem is also solved, ie, getting my PC to recognize the phone in download mode.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Cm on the Captivate is re-purposed Nexus S software. If you have driver trouble while on CM, you need the Nexus S drivers, which are kind of a PITA to install comparatively. There should be help on the Cyanogen website regarding that, but it required the Android SDK from Google. Should not matter for the most part, but I mention it in case.

Glad to hear you are working. CM runs very well on our phone, fast and stable.