Installing official OTA updates on rooted phone

Digital-Frontier

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Can you install an official OTA update on a rooted captivate or would I have to unroot first?

I am hesitant to flash a custom rom, since I am still rather new to android based phones and still learning more about android and the captivate.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Never ever ever accept an OTA on a rooted phone. You'll probably lose root, and that's the best that can happen. If a major OTA comes out, wait for the devs to come out with a rooted version, or just unroot.

Reactions: Digital-Frontier

Digital-Frontier

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Never ever ever accept an OTA on a rooted phone. You'll probably lose root, and that's the best that can happen. If a major OTA comes out, wait for the devs to come out with a rooted version, or just unroot.
That's what I figured.

If I unroot and get an OTA update, can I still use super one click root to root the phone again or would I have to wait for the devs of super one click root to update?

Also, would you advise me to flash a custom rom on my cap or wait a while and get some more experience with the phone before I do?

stew1411

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Do what I did. I got the official gingerbread that was leaked. It is damn near perfect. The only problem I noticed is that when a web page is loading and I turn the phone sideways it reboots. It doesn't if the page is fully loaded though. And my guess is the captivate wont be going higher than gingerbread anyways, so just root then problem solved. Just my guess though, as there will be no need for ota once gingerbread is released.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Digital-Frontier

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Do what I did. I got the official gingerbread that was leaked. It is damn near perfect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

I'd rather pass at this point and wait until the official version comes out. I don't feel comfortable installing a leaked version and possibly messing up my cap.

Alex.Kim

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Will the OTA update mess up the phone, or does it just get rid of root?

Digital-Frontier

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Will the OTA update mess up the phone, or does it just get rid of root?
I just changed my mind...found a tutorial to install the leaked gingerbread onto my phone and it works a treat...haven't found anything major with bugs etc...seems to work well.

The problem that Stew1411 mentions about the browser, I haven't seen, as once I reinstall all my apps from backup, I will use Firefox mobile, my browser of choice.

d0d0b0red

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
So if I haven't done anything to my phone, its on the same load it came with a year ago, which is 2.1. How do I move up to Gingerbread? Thank you

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11