Official Gingerbread for the Captivate?

rootNtoot

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Third party apps

AT&T updated my Froyo so I could get third party apps. Has anyone tried to get third party apps on the Gingerbread update yet?
++++++++++++++++
Never mind. Someone else on the forum said Gingerbread allows 3rd party apps.

Last edited:

anon(156377)

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
AT&T updated my Froyo so I could get third party apps. Has anyone tried to get third party apps on the Gingerbread update yet?

The option for "unknown sources" is present now, I assume it works. Haven't tried to install Amazon Appstore since doing a fresh wipe after official GB.

Sent from my Samsung Captivate using TapaTalk.

grizzlybear26

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Also am running Serendipity 6.4. Kinda worried to brick another phone so I don't wanna try the Kies update until I'm sure it works. I tried ODIN on my last phone but Kies wouldn't update it to Froyo at the time because of a different kernel placed on it by ODIN. Would love to see if I could just go straight to this update, but like I said, I'm a bit reluctant.

airbornedude

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
The option for "unknown sources" is present now, I assume it works. Haven't tried to install Amazon Appstore since doing a fresh wipe after official GB.

The "Unknown Sources" work. I installed several none market game console emulators on my phone.

airbornedude

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Also am running Serendipity 6.4. Kinda worried to brick another phone so I don't wanna try the Kies update until I'm sure it works. I tried ODIN on my last phone but Kies wouldn't update it to Froyo at the time because of a different kernel placed on it by ODIN. Would love to see if I could just go straight to this update, but like I said, I'm a bit reluctant.

Yeah, I am feel your concerns and I think they are valid. You need to use the ODIN v1.81 if you do it. If you do it, let me know.

Do you have ClockWork Recovery installed? Is that what you use to apply the Serendipity 6.4?

Nevermind, I just found Serendipity 6.4 website. They use ODIN. It seems with ODIN, you could nuke your phone (As they stay in the instructors for Serendipity 6.4), and then follow the instructions.

Don't rely on my opinion though. I am not an expert on Android firmware updates with Captivate. I was with Motorola Backflip, but updating Captivate compared to the Backflip is different. With the Backflip I installed Clockwork Recovery on my phone and used it to update.

I am full time computer geek at work and an avid Linux user, but there are a lot of things with Android I am not familiar with and I would feel terrible if you listened to me and bricked your phone.

Last edited:

G.murph

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Is anyone else experiencing bugs? I'm experiencing a lot:

-swipe glass to unlock/drag puzzle piece messages on lock screen aren't going away.
-lag and choppiness scrolling through photos in the gallery
-camera app brightness automatically set to highest brightest setting possible with no way to change it
-can no longer select scene modes in camera (night, sunset, snow/beach, etc.)
-every time I switch between wifi and 3G the phone freezes and then a force close error about tethering pops up.
-can no longer double tap words to edit in swype

and that's just what I've noticed in 24 hours. Is this just my phone or are other people experiencing this? I love the gingerbread theming (though a bit disappointed the silent/vibrate option is gone from the notification tray) but it's a shame I have all these problems.

anon(156377)

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

-swipe glass to unlock/drag puzzle piece messages on lock screen aren't going away.
-camera app brightness automatically set to highest brightest setting possible with no way to change it
-every time I switch between wifi and 3G the phone freezes and then a force close error about tethering pops up.

and that's just what I've noticed in 24 hours. Is this just my phone or are other people experiencing this? I love the gingerbread theming (though a bit disappointed the silent/vibrate option is gone from the notification tray) but it's a shame I have all these problems.

I did notice the camera modes being gone, that's about it. Did you do a factory reset? I feel like they,solve a lot of the issues people have.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

i haven't had a message come through yet that i haven't answered, so i haven't gotten the puzzle piece yet.

i did notice that you can swipe the screen in any direction, side to side, up or down to unlock it now.

i saw someone mention something about the brightness of the camera the other day, but sorry, i don't remember what all they said.

on my reboot, i got the tethering message, but i don't tether so it wasn't an issue for me. i've seen several say something about the tethering message and force close and they have to close it about 3 times and then it seems to work. now i use the option in the notification tray to turn off and on wifi and use 3G but i haven't had a tethering message doing that.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

i was just looking at my camera, i don't use it much...are you talking about not being able to get to the settings for the white balance etc?

like i said, i rarely use my camera and when i do i generally don't change anything.

anon(156377)

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
i was just looking at my camera, i don't use it much...are you talking about not being able to get to the settings for the white balance etc?

like i said, i rarely use my camera and when i do i generally don't change anything.

He is referencing the "SCN" button on the left that is grayed out after GB update. Used for shooting modes, allows for different lighting/object settings.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
He is referencing the "SCN" button on the left that is grayed out after GB update. Used for shooting modes, allows for different lighting/object settings.

ah, ok. i don't remember what was under that button before anyway, because i never really changed anything.

G.murph

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the responses, guys. I might try a factory reset to see if that does anything. I guess it can't hurt.

And yeah I was referring to the SCN button. I used the night setting a lot because it helped out with the lack of flash.

grizzlybear26

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I am feel your concerns and I think they are valid. You need to use the ODIN v1.81 if you do it. If you do it, let me know.

Do you have ClockWork Recovery installed? Is that what you use to apply the Serendipity 6.4?

Nevermind, I just found Serendipity 6.4 website. They use ODIN. It seems with ODIN, you could nuke your phone (As they stay in the instructors for Serendipity 6.4), and then follow the instructions.

Don't rely on my opinion though. I am not an expert on Android firmware updates with Captivate. I was with Motorola Backflip, but updating Captivate compared to the Backflip is different. With the Backflip I installed Clockwork Recovery on my phone and used it to update.

I am full time computer geek at work and an avid Linux user, but there are a lot of things with Android I am not familiar with and I would feel terrible if you listened to me and bricked your phone.
Yeah I have clockwork and that's how I flashed 6.4 onto the phone. Reading all the forums and hearing about ODIN bricking a lot of phones (including my own past phone). I would love to have the GB update just so I can go back to modems meant for my phone. I9000 base can only do so much at Froyo level. Still, I think that there has to be some way to do this without having to involve ODIN. At least I'm hoping so.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Have you thought about live chat with Samsung to ask them what to do about this?

G.murph

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Okay so I just did a factory reset (though did something wrong 'cause all my photos are still there) and I discovered that if you have anti-shake turned on, the SCN options go away. Strange. But if you turn it off, you have access to all the shooting modes again.

MunkyButt

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
Pictures are stored on the sd card. Factory reset only wipes the data on the phone itself.

Sent from my intelligent cellular communication device.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Okay so I just did a factory reset (though did something wrong 'cause all my photos are still there) and I discovered that if you have anti-shake turned on, the SCN options go away. Strange. But if you turn it off, you have access to all the shooting modes again.

good to know, because i remember those talking about it the other day couldn't figure out how to get to the adjustments.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt