AT&T Galaxy S No Data Plan but still want multimedia message

tinawu0203

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi my friend gave me an AT&T Galaxy S phone. I don't want to add AT&T data plan, but I still want to be able to send/ receive multimedia message. I try to add new APN to select only mms (instead of internet+mms), but I can't select my new added APN as my new default. I think my phone was pre-programmed by AT&T or something. The default APN was called "ATT WAP", and I can't edit this APN setting. I tried to call AT&T, but all they tried to do is forcing me to add data plan to my smart phone. Can anyone help me?

konazxiii

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Your first area of concern should be that at&t will know that you're using a smart phone soon enough. When they do, they'll eventually just add data to your plan so it won't much matter.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
They actually do it immediately now. There is NO way to have a smart phone on ATT and NOT pay for a data plan. NO WAY.

No, it does not make sense. Yes, you would think wifi is a workable solution. ATT has no interest in allowing a smart phone without a data plan however. Pretty sure the other carriers are the same.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
The only way you might be able to get away with it is using a non-AT&T branded phone, since they probably use recorded IMEIs. I think T-Mo might let you do it, but don't quote me on that.