Will not fully charge...?

joe1987

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed that when charging that the phone, under the phone info it states that the battery is 90% charged, I can leave it plugged in for hours (over nite) and it remains at 90% to 93%. It has only gone to 100% once since I have owned the phone going on two weeks. I have drained the battery down to critical low power several times. I have done battery pulls/rebooted.

Is this normal for this phone or for a new battery this model to not to get a full charge?

Running stock AT&T Froyo 2.2.

Thanks in Advance for any input.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I am sure someone will chime in on HOW BATTERIES WORK, hopefully with a link (I have read a good one here somewhere). It is normal for a battery to never actually reach 100%. What is not normal, is your phone to be honest with you about it... usually manufacturers have their phones say 100% around the 95% mark. Your battery could be bad, or you may need to clear battery stats... but it probably is nothing.

Rechargeable batteries get damaged when actually charged fully, or drained fully. For those reasons, most devices tell you your battery is fully charged when it in fact is not, and likewise say it is empty when it still has 15% there. This is just an artifact of how crummy battery technology really still is, and in almost all cases, it is better for your sanity to ignore it.

That said, it is also possible you have a bad battery. If you have a buddy with a Galaxy S model phone, swap batteries for a few days and see if you can tell a difference. I am guessing no :). Your phone might actually be telling you the truth, which is nigh unheard of ;).

Reactions: joe1987

joe1987

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info, also when it did fully charge (or lied it did) it actually chimed and displayed a notice stating "Battery fully charged" that i can unplug it. It suprised me...never had a phone actually chime and tell me....it's fully charged (or lie about it...lol)...but then I did come from blackberry land....but I never looked back. LOL
Thx again.

SlappyMcgee

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
The way the charging works is it will go to 100% and continue to show 100% but to keep from damaging the battery it will go through a cycle allowing it to drain some (still shows 100% charged) then it will charge back to 100%. This happens with my Captivate sometimes as well. Nothing to be worried about. If you wanted you could try doing a bump charge.
Charge it until it shows 100% charged
Unplug the phone power it Off, let it charge to 100% again
Unplug the phone and power it on then off and let it charge again until it says charged.

You shouldn't have to bump charge often. I normally only bump charge if I plug my phone in to let it charge but unplug it before it completely charges, seems when I do this it doesn't seem to get a good charge until it is bump charged again.

Reactions: joe1987

joe1987

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Thx, what I did was replaced the OEM battery with a NEW BATTERY FOR SAMSUNG i897 CAPTIVATE EXTENDED + DOOR...works great.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol