4th warrantied phone

tomcat147

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Hello folks,

I'm on my 4th warranty cell phone (captivate). It keeps freezing and i have to take out the battery and turn it back on. Today i just recieved the 4th phone, i want to transfer all my games and data in the games to the new phone. I'm looking for the best system to transfer all the files and data. I have been doing some reading about rooting the phone and they say to NANDroid back up the phone. If i do that to my old phone and save it to my mac os and then install it on to my new warranty phone will that work properly. Any feed back would be great.

Thanks

Thomas Gebhart

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Copying the files from you SD card to your computer is great for getting music, pictures and videos. But to get the apps and app data, you need to use a backup program like Titanium Backup, and that will require that you root it. It may not be worth that, as you can just install the apps again. The market and the Amazon market both will remember your purchases, though you will need to remember the free ones you want.

Rooting it and putting Titanium Backup on there might jeopardize your replacement, though that is probably unlikely. Did they not offer you an upgrade to a new phone? I have the Captivate today after returning my old Tilt 2 three times to Warranty Repair. After that, they let me pick from whatever current model comparable phone they have as a refurb. You might be able to get an upgrade if you are going on Cappy #4.

They used to have a lemon law of sorts :).

SeanBest

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I had a Captivate that was built before Nov 2010 that had sleep death and GPS problems. Called Wed night and got them to early upgrade me. I got to keep my upgrade (available Dec 2012) AND I got the SGSII for $50 + $2.50 tax. Shipped Thurs got Fri. Couldn't be happier. All about getting the right rep and manager override.

Oh, and I get to keep my Captivate. Sell it and profit.

/win

tomcat147

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
lorague, they told me when i ordered my 3rd phone if i have another problem they would let me pick one. (that was 4 months ago) they told me at that time it would be the samsung infuse. i called in monday night and talked to 5 reps and did not get any where with them. They stated that policy is no more and possibly let me do an early upgrade and i could pick a phone and pay for it + pay for the shipping + activation of the new phone also. i have this phone now I'm thinking about rooting it just to stop having problems. But i keep loosing all my info thats not saved on the sim or sd card. they are calling me the 9th to see how this new phone is working. It took like 3 weeks for it to act up the first time then 2 months. My last phone i had all kinds of problems also they had to give me an early upgrade thats how i got this phone!!!!!!!

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Well then.. no more lemon law. That sucks.

What is your current build? 2.1 Eclair? 2.2? MENU-ABOUT PHONE-BUILD NUMBER

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Your Recovery is signed... try the 2.1.1 Superoneclick root here-

[APP]SuperOneClick v2.1.1 (Finally fixed!) - xda-developers

End of the first post has the download links. You need to turn USB debugging ON in your MENU-APPLICATIONS-DEVELOPMENT.

Since you have a Mac, you need the Mono support it is talking about. Unless you have access to a Windows machine, in which case .NET 2.0 or better should do it. There are easier ways for your next phone, but your existing might be a pain.

tomcat147

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
well i was looking at the cm7 root for the phone (what do you know/think about this). they have the mac os setups to do it. I'm just not sure if i have the balls to do the root i don't want to brick the phone. I'm no computer geek i know enough to get by and fix the stuff i have problems with. I have both phones sitting here right now just looking at them with anger!

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I am not familiar with that setup... but I do not have a Mac, so that makes sense. Getting CM on your new phone is pretty easy. Getting root on your old one without messing up what is there already is what I am not sure how to do.

tomcat147

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
i seem to have problems with electronics my last two windows computers sucked after a few months and i didn't even do any thing questionable on them! I'm still paying for this computer tho!! haha CM is that a good root. If i can just do the root on the new phone then find a way to transfer the info that would be cool if i cant then ill only loose the stuff on the old phone. The paid stuff will come to the new phone but i can play the games again its not that big of a deal just looking to see if i can transfer the info so i don't put mad time into playing games. my wife wont like that haha. by the way thanks for your help.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I note your post in the other forum... do you have your new phone rooted and you just want CM on it? Or are you not rooted on it yet? I think you may want to wait for someone else to potentially chime in on rooting your old one without blowing it away, which is the only way I know to do it.

I can however help with your new one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae