CM 7.1 what am I doing wrong?

jmb12177

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I have been trying to flash CM 7.1 to my captivate for 2 days now with no luck. I have stock froyo 2.2 rooted and installed clockwork mod premium, when ever I try to boot into CWM recovery, it only boot into samsung recovery, what am I doing wrong, and how do I fix it?

mdoyal1

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
To boot into CWM, what you need to do is turn your phone off all the way and let it sit for a few minutes. Then when you go to boot it into CWM, hold both of the volume buttons down and then hold the power button until the AT&T (I'm assuming you are on AT&T) then let go. Once that screen goes to the second screen, start pushing down the volume buttons and power button at the same time. This should bring you to CWM, you'll know if it does.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
If you are still getting stock recovery (2e), then you do not have CWM installed. If you used ROM Manager to install Clockwork... keep trying. It is finicky. Make sure you are on data network and it should ask you to select which phone you have from the Galaxy S line (Captivate, Fascinate, etc). Choose Captivate obviously.

You mention you are rooted, so it should work given another try or three. If this does not go, then your next move is to flash a CWM kernel with Odin. More headache, so keep trying. :) Let us know!

jmb12177

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
- just tried it again, tried cwm samsung galaxy s captivate, samsung captivate (MTD) both 2 and 3. And tried what you suggested above, and still will only boot into samsung recovery. So what shall I try next.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Is your goal to get CM 7 running, correct? Do not care how you get there?

If you know how to get to Download mode, I would flash the Odin one-click package for KH3 that includes bootloaders AND CWM injected kernel from here-

[Stock ROMs](OneClicks Master Collection)+[Kernels (Stock & w/ CWM)]+[Modems] UPDATED - xda-developers

And then I would boot into Recovery and flash the latest CM nightly from here-

CyanogenMod Mirror Network - Powered by TDRevolution

I am assuming you know how to get to Recovery and Download and know the difference, if you do not, we should probably move this discussion into the Custom forum, or re-use some of the recent threads there.

jmb12177

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
yes that is my goal to get cm7 running, I haven't got into recovery or download yet, but I know how to get there with CWM, it is just the stock system that is giving me all the troubles. i read through all the guides that tell how to deal with CWM to flash a rom. unfortunately im working overtime at work so it wont be till this weekend at the earliest to continue, i will let you know how I make out, and thank you in advanced for all your help.

jmb12177

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Finally had the time this week end to do the update, ran in to one problem, after swap in kernal with odin, on restart, the captivate went in to a reboot cycle, so I just just held the volume button and it finally took me into clockwork mod recovery. The rest went so easy, thank you guys very much, you were a grat help.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
You mentioned you're on Froyo, so the stock recovery will not accept unsigned zips (the method ROM Manager tries to install it with). You have to either modify the recovery (see here) or flash to stock Eclair.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11