Captivate or Wait?

yangstyle

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Posted this in another area but got no responses. Sorry for the double posting.

Anyway, I am ready to upgrade my phone on ATT. I currently have an iPhone but I really want an Android phone since I have one from work and it rocks.

My requirements are Android, micro-SD slot and reliability. I may have to download and read documents from my work email. I listen to music and have a server at home so DLNA connectivity would be great to copy music back and forth. I don't care about HDMI out from the phone. It does have to be able to play videos and stream Netflix and from my server.

Oh, and I don't want to spend a whole lot of time having to tweak or debug things in custom ROMs so, unless a custom ROM is stable and care free, I'm not really interested. In other words, there must be a whole lot of benefit and little effort.

Being the father of a new baby, things are kinda tight financially. I saw the Samsung Captivate for a penny and I am thinking of getting it. However, I am concerned about it being 2 years old. Should I wait till I can afford an Atrix 2 (which is what I want) or go with the Captivate and wait another 2 years to upgrade?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
You could take the plunge and go for the captivate but like you mentioned then your stuck for two years.

So that leaves you saving for the better device of your choice or consider buying a used, captivate off. Craigslist or elsewhere for cheap to avoid using your upgrade.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

PewterL31

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I would avoid the captivate at this point if your looking for upgrade and don't mind refurbished u can get newer android phones for a penny. I just checked you can get the atrix 1 or LG thrill refurbished for a penny

Sent from my Samsung Skyrocket

Last edited:

shadestalker

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Wait.

Samsung and ATT have delayed the release of Gingerbread for this phone for over a year, while publicly pointing fingers at each other. I would get a Nexus S or a current HTC, based on my desire to not have a device that's in the dark ages with regard to feature and security updates. There are bound to be decent deals on phones with better support history than the Captivate.

And no, I'm not a troll, just a disgruntled Captivate owner. If I could afford an unlocked Galaxy Nexus, I wouldn't have even read and posted here.

yangstyle

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've been following AT&Ts CES announcements and I am inclined to wait. Maybe I'll be in a better financial siituation later this year. However, this iphone is driving me nuts now. But, patience...

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
While the Captivate is a nice phone IMHO it is completely outdated at this point. I'm looking forward to 4 months from now so I can upgrade my Captivate which I got for free on Black Friday 2010.

skulldroid67

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
I just got the cappy for a penny and i had the same thought flash through my mind..."will it be to outdated for me". I got the device anyway and haven't rooted it yet but did just update to 2.3 GB. I'm satisfied overall and think this device can still hold it's own. Not sure why some feel its "completely outdated" but would love to hear why you think that. :cool:

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand that either, especially with it having the GB update. From what I've seen, my phone rivals and excels in some ways, my friend's iphone 4. I know mine has always been faster, even before the update. The only place I have seen her iphone out do my phone is battery life, but iphones have the edge on that compared to really all phones.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
The reason I think the Cappy is completely outdated is no 4G/LTE. I guess it depends on what you use your phone for, in my case I use it for business rather than entertainment and I tether it to my laptop for on-site presentations to clients thus the much faster speed of 4G/LTE makes a big difference to me and I'm pretty sure a multi-core processor is speedier too.

All of the new Android phones are 4G and most are dual core with quad core soon to be available. For what it is I think the Cappy is a nice phone but for my purposes my next phone will be a substantial performance improvement.

I've enjoyed my Cappy but am greatly looking forward to 4G/LTE multi core technology.

When I say completely outdated I'm talking in terms of versus what else is available. To the best of my knowledge there are no single core 3G smartphones yet to be introduced, all the new phones are 4G multi core hence why I say completely outdated. When the Cappy was new it was AT&T's premier Android device but technology advances so rapidly today it's not even close. I believe the Samsung Sky Rocket is AT&T's premier Android phone today w/ 4G & 1.5MHz dual core, to me that is a big difference. The way I look at it is if technology exists that is capable of a substantial performance improvement then the Cappy is completely outdated. Please don't misunderstand as I'm not saying the Cappy wasn't a good phone only that with 1.5MHz dual core, 4G/LTE & ICS now available it is outdated technology.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Using it to tether for something like that, I can understand that. Like you said, a lot depends on what you want to do with it. My first android was when I was with T-Mobile and it was an LG phone and it was like a "beginner" Droid and did well for me learning. I have seen with the Captivate though, it can be simple enough for a first time Droid owner to be able to use it, yet it can be advanced enough that it doesn't feel like a "Baby Droid" at all.

I was lucky, when I switched to AT&T from T-Mobile (after we had a family plan there since they were PowerTel) they had the Captivate for $49 and it was an upgrade from my MyTouch (that I got free when my LG went out) from T-Mobile. For data, I use the wifi mostly and don't tether, so my speeds are generally what Uverse speeds are.

anon(156377)

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
The reason I think the Cappy is completely outdated is no 4G/LTE. I guess it depends on what you use your phone for, in my case I use it for business rather than entertainment and I tether it to my laptop for on-site presentations to clients thus the much faster speed of 4G/LTE makes a big difference to me and I'm pretty sure a multi-core processor is speedier too.

All of the new Android phones are 4G and most are dual core with quad core soon to be available. For what it is I think the Cappy is a nice phone but for my purposes my next phone will be a substantial performance improvement.

I've enjoyed my Cappy but am greatly looking forward to 4G/LTE multi core technology.

When I say completely outdated I'm talking in terms of versus what else is available. To the best of my knowledge there are no single core 3G smartphones yet to be introduced, all the new phones are 4G multi core hence why I say completely outdated. When the Cappy was new it was AT&T's premier Android device but technology advances so rapidly today it's not even close. I believe the Samsung Sky Rocket is AT&T's premier Android phone today w/ 4G & 1.5MHz dual core, to me that is a big difference. The way I look at it is if technology exists that is capable of a substantial performance improvement then the Cappy is completely outdated. Please don't misunderstand as I'm not saying the Cappy wasn't a good phone only that with 1.5MHz dual core, 4G/LTE & ICS now available it is outdated technology.

Of course it is outdated. It's nearing two years old. 4G LTE is great, but it's available in what, 10 cities? Dual core is great, but battery technology isn't. Personally I'll be keeping my Captivate til it dies, by that time, AT&T's LTE network will have matured hopefully. I don't need the latest and greatest OS, despite what every AC user thinks. My GPS works great. I don't see the point in jumping phones every two years just because you can. That said, I'd say wait it out in your situation.

Sent from my Samsung Captivate using TapaTalk.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

I just noticed something...does AT&T even have an ICS phone or said they are going to have one in the next few months? I fully expected they would be one of the first with the Google Nexus, but that hasn't been the case...

skulldroid67

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Well yes, compared to 4G it's outdated but most people don't even live in an area that supports 4G. So it's really kind of pointless to have 4G in most situations. Great marketing plan though.

Having 4G is like having an HD TV a few years ago...remember, most networks didn't even broadcast.in hd.

A cappy won't hold up in many ways against the newer devices but it still a solid device IMO. :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

yangstyle

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I think I am just going to wait a couple of months. I happen to live in an area with 4G LTE coverage. Having said that, I travel a lot on business so it doesn't make that much of a difference, I guess.

Anyone know anything about Pantech? I saw in the CES coverage last week they are releasing a bundle of a tablet and an Android phone for $249, I think.

Otherwise, I am thinking the new Samsung Exhilarate or, if I feel more cash flush, the Note or the Samsung Galaxy II Skyrocket HD. I like ths bigger size and stylus of the Note.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
My mother has a Pantech phone, not an android and I'm just not happy with the brand. Over the years I have had a couple of Samsungs, many Nokias, one LG and a couple of HTC phones. I'm happiest with Samsung products.

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I've been looking at getting a new phone, I am currently using a att samsung mythic go phone. No complains, good little phone. I have data on it so can check email. Just no wifi.
But I want an android phone with wifi and at least a 4" screen.
My first choice would be the gs2, but as I said I'm on 3g go phone, they tell me the 4g won't work.
I don't talk alot, but do text, email, fb, take pictures maybe play games. Does this phone work with android market and amazon apps.?
So I really don't need the lastest and fastest. But do want to use my go phone sims card.
Anyone have any experience doing that? Looking at one on Amazon, unlocked att.

Just read this thread, seems some like this phone. Some don't.

Guess I'm just trying to figure out how good this phone is. and if its worth the $$. Or if I should keep what I have.
I realize this phone has been around awhile. But so have I. lol.

I'm still looking at this site. Does this phone get ota updates? Has it gotten any? Any problems?

Sorry this has gotten so long, just have lots of questions, hope some of you can answer.

Last edited: