Gingerbread now available (finally)

mindlesstux

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
So far I like gingerbread on the captivate.

Though I do have a few sticking points, as usual att gimped us on features, cant add a VoIP account, main reason I wanted gingerbread on my phone. (So I can have an office phone line where ever I go.)

I noted the email app looks different, seems for the better. I also noted that the silent option in the notification menubar is gone, replaced with flight mode. Along with the disable data option from the power menu. Though I found the data option buried deep in the settings...

Other than those sticking points so far it makes the phone feel brand new.

Last edited:

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
hmmmm...i like that silent option in the menu bar, i use it there a lot. seems to me more would use the silent option than the flight option.

rclapham

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Where did you find the data option? I cannot find how to turn my wireless data back on. Also I keep getting these errors about the TetheringManager and I have to repeatedly force close it.

rclapham

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
It didn't delete any data from my phone. All apps, pictures, music, etc. were left intact. However, I cannot find the setting to turn on 3G data access. It used to be on the Power button.

G.murph

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
So you can't put the phone into vibrate from the notification tray? That's the one toggle I actually use. Oh well.

Is touchwiz updated at all?

zerospace-net

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Well look at that. I've been reading AC forever, but never signed up for an account. The cappy finally gets gingerbread, and I finally feel compelled to sign up. Ha!

On topic: Nothing on my phone was deleted ... my home screens even remained intact!

I upgraded from rooted stock froyo. Lost root (no surprise), but still have superuser installed (annoying, since I'm not sure I intend to re-root). I, too, am getting the tethering manager FCs, though it seems to be when I enable Wi-Fi (not when I disable it), and possibly when the phone is connected to my PC with USB debugging enabled. It usually FCs twice, and then stops. I wonder if it is related to my phone being rooted when I did the upgrade. To the other person with the tethering manager FC, were you rooted when you did the update?

To turn on 3G data, its buried in the settings:
Settings-->Wireless and Network-->Mobile Networks-->Use packet data

Thus far, my phone seems snappier overall, and the addition of the unknown sources check box thrills me more than almost anything! (Sad, isn't it?) The menus are now a dark grey color rather than white. The notifications menu is different slightly, as others have noted. Everything seems to be otherwise fine or similar to before. I like the changes in the icons for battery & signal/mobile network. Thus far, I'm happy with the update -- easier than the froyo update & way faster. First boot didn't even take that long!

G.murph

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
The update makes Swype really difficult to use. I can't double tap a word to choose a different one. I can get around it by tapping on the word then hitting the swype button, but it's another step I didn't have to do before.

ETA: And the camera app brightness is set to the highest brightness level possible (outdoor visibility isn't selected) but it almost hurts it's so bright. And I miss the silent button. Not sure if I like this update.

G.murph

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone else get the "swipe glass to unlock" message to go away?

ETA: Also, what happened to the scene shooting options in the camera? The option is grayed out and I can't access it. And I don't know why the camera is set to brighten to the highest brightness level.

Last edited:

anon(156377)

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Hey, I was thinking about getting a memory card for my phone and wondered how I could save apps to the memory card. Anyone done this on their G1? I hope there's someone here that can help. :)

Used mine for two hours on GB release day and today, works great!

Sent from my Samsung Captivate using TapaTalk.

ads

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
This apparently doesn't work if you're running a custom ROM? Installed Cognition a little over a year ago to Android 2.2 (cognition v2..3b6 - which has been great).
Guess I have to look how to regress to stock, ugh.

ADS

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol