Tethering Manager Error After Update

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Ok I've talked with AT&T and then had to live chat with Samsung.

Seems the way to fix this issue is a factory reset, which I hated to do. Today I started getting the message every time I plugged my phone in to charge and I unplugged it. SO FAR, I haven't been getting the message after the reset.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I was hoping eventually the tether error message would go away. It takes me far too long to set my phone up again after a factory reset, I'll just have to deal with the error message.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I was hoping eventually the tether error message would go away. It takes me far too long to set my phone up again after a factory reset, I'll just have to deal with the error message.

yeah i hated doing a reset. i wasn't getting the message except after the update once. today, i have gotten it all day. this issue might get worse.

skulldroid67

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
I also get the tethering message but only after unplugging my device from a charge. So a factory reset is the answer. :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Were the phones getting this tethering error message rooted with tethering manager frozen by TIBU prior to the upgrade to GB?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Were the phones getting this tethering error message rooted with tethering manager frozen by TIBU prior to the upgrade to GB?

Just a little info on me, which I think I'm the odd one here, that might help you answer the question.

Phone is not rooted.
Never tethered with this phone.
Never charge my phone on the computer, only the wall charge.
First got the message after the GB update was finished when I disconnected my phone from the computer.

I think with my phone being a "virgin" phone basically and I was having the same tethering error messages is a good indication that this was a bug type thing for the AT&T captivate only.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Oh and if anyone resets and needs the update for the newest market. I found a link to download the file for the new market, from your phone, no root or computer hookup required.

skulldroid67

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
I think I have found a solution without having to reset..double checking everything now but am pretty sure I fixed this bug...more coming soon. :D

tsusala1951

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Ok I've talked with AT&T and then had to live chat with Samsung.

Seems the way to fix this issue is a factory reset, which I hated to do. Today I started getting the message every time I plugged my phone in to charge and I unplugged it. SO FAR, I haven't been getting the message after the reset.

I get the message after a recharge and unplug the usb/Charger cord. However, my daily routine is to re-boot the phone after a full recharge, so the tether message never recurs after the re-boot.

emsamp72

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Hello guys,
I too had the problem. Yes ONE solution is to Factory Reset, another is the rooting thing -- but understand if you root the system you VOID all warranties on the phone (per AT&T rep) But if you go to
Tutorials - Samsung Captivate (I897)
and scroll down to the bottom.. there is an ALTERNATIVE method to a Factory Reset that works!! No data loss. Worked like a charm. Hope this helps!:D

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Hello guys,
I too had the problem. Yes ONE solution is to Factory Reset, another is the rooting thing -- but understand if you root the system you VOID all warranties on the phone (per AT&T rep) But if you go to
and scroll down to the bottom.. there is an ALTERNATIVE method to a Factory Reset that works!! No data loss. Worked like a charm. Hope this helps!:D

Why would anyone care about a warranty on the Captivate?! The dam thing is like a 2 year old device. Just root it and freeze tethering manager. Not only does it get rid of the bug but it seems to also allow the AP hotspot without ATT knowing it's tethered

Reactions: motomod

PaulF

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site

There were "Thank you" replies so I tried it and it worked. Plus two of my news and social feed widgets stopped getting network errors.:) I had to check and then un-check USB tethering, but followed everything else.

1. Put your phone's USB setting to Mass Storage:
Settings>Applications>USB settings>Mass storage.
(this way when you connect your phone to your computer via USB cable, it won't be in Kies, or Media Player mode).

2. Connect the phone to your computer via USB, but don't click the button "Connect storage to PC"

3. Hit the "Home" button on your phone and go to:
Settings> Wireless and network > Teathering and portable hotspot >

and you want to un-check "USB tethering"

disconnect, and you will not see the error message when switching from 3G to WiFi and vice versa, nor will you get the error message when plugging in your phone to the USB. NO FACTORY RESET REQUIRED.

Mariojustink

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Hello guys,

Mariojustink

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21