Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Tethering Manager Error After Update

Ok I've talked with AT&T and then had to live chat with Samsung.

Seems the way to fix this issue is a factory reset, which I hated to do. Today I started getting the message every time I plugged my phone in to charge and I unplugged it. SO FAR, I haven't been getting the message after the reset.

Default Re: Tethering Manager Error After Update

I was hoping eventually the tether error message would go away. It takes me far too long to set my phone up again after a factory reset, I'll just have to deal with the error message.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by mty msi View Post
    I was hoping eventually the tether error message would go away. It takes me far too long to set my phone up again after a factory reset, I'll just have to deal with the error message.
    yeah i hated doing a reset. i wasn't getting the message except after the update once. today, i have gotten it all day. this issue might get worse.

I also get the tethering message but only after unplugging my device from a charge. So a factory reset is the answer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Were the phones getting this tethering error message rooted with tethering manager frozen by TIBU prior to the upgrade to GB?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by fldude99 View Post
    Were the phones getting this tethering error message rooted with tethering manager frozen by TIBU prior to the upgrade to GB?
    Just a little info on me, which I think I'm the odd one here, that might help you answer the question.

Phone is not rooted.
    Never tethered with this phone.
    Never charge my phone on the computer, only the wall charge.
    First got the message after the GB update was finished when I disconnected my phone from the computer.

I think with my phone being a "virgin" phone basically and I was having the same tethering error messages is a good indication that this was a bug type thing for the AT&T captivate only.
    Rekabs likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Oh and if anyone resets and needs the update for the newest market. I found a link to download the file for the new market, from your phone, no root or computer hookup required.

I think I have found a solution without having to reset..double checking everything now but am pretty sure I fixed this bug...more coming soon.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by skulldroid67 View Post
    I think I have found a solution without having to reset..double checking everything now but am pretty sure I fixed this bug...more coming soon.
    pffffffft....wish you had found that yesterday lol

Quote Originally Posted by skulldroid67 View Post
    Any progress?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Kearns View Post
    Ok I've talked with AT&T and then had to live chat with Samsung.

Seems the way to fix this issue is a factory reset, which I hated to do. Today I started getting the message every time I plugged my phone in to charge and I unplugged it. SO FAR, I haven't been getting the message after the reset.
    I get the message after a recharge and unplug the usb/Charger cord. However, my daily routine is to re-boot the phone after a full recharge, so the tether message never recurs after the re-boot.

I've done the same as tsusala but would like a fix and not a work around!

The fix is to root the device and freeze the tethering mgr

Hello guys,
    I too had the problem. Yes ONE solution is to Factory Reset, another is the rooting thing -- but understand if you root the system you VOID all warranties on the phone (per AT&T rep) But if you go to
    Tutorials - Samsung Captivate (I897)
    and scroll down to the bottom.. there is an ALTERNATIVE method to a Factory Reset that works!! No data loss. Worked like a charm. Hope this helps!

I did the alternative method and lost all data

Quote Originally Posted by emsamp72 View Post
    Hello guys,
    I too had the problem. Yes ONE solution is to Factory Reset, another is the rooting thing -- but understand if you root the system you VOID all warranties on the phone (per AT&T rep) But if you go to
    and scroll down to the bottom.. there is an ALTERNATIVE method to a Factory Reset that works!! No data loss. Worked like a charm. Hope this helps!
    Why would anyone care about a warranty on the Captivate?! The dam thing is like a 2 year old device. Just root it and freeze tethering manager. Not only does it get rid of the bug but it seems to also allow the AP hotspot without ATT knowing it's tethered
    Thanked by:

There were "Thank you" replies so I tried it and it worked. Plus two of my news and social feed widgets stopped getting network errors. I had to check and then un-check USB tethering, but followed everything else.

1. Put your phone's USB setting to Mass Storage:
    Settings>Applications>USB settings>Mass storage.
    (this way when you connect your phone to your computer via USB cable, it won't be in Kies, or Media Player mode).

2. Connect the phone to your computer via USB, but don't click the button "Connect storage to PC"

3. Hit the "Home" button on your phone and go to:
    Settings> Wireless and network > Teathering and portable hotspot >

and you want to un-check "USB tethering"

disconnect, and you will not see the error message when switching from 3G to WiFi and vice versa, nor will you get the error message when plugging in your phone to the USB. NO FACTORY RESET REQUIRED.

Quote Originally Posted by emsamp72 View Post
    Hello guys,

The alternative method is just another way to do a factory reset. Do not do this unless you have backed up your data because you WILL lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulF View Post

There were "Thank you" replies so I tried it and it worked. Plus two of my news and social feed widgets stopped getting network errors. I had to check and then un-check USB tethering, but followed everything else.
    I tried this idea and it worked for a day or so then the tethering manager force close messages came back. Ended up doing factory reset.

I had the same problem, found a post on a forum somewhere that said to plug the phone into a Windows 7 computer.. You have to do it on a computer that has mini keis installed... something about the process of the pc "seeing" the phone will resolve the problem.... this worked for me.... As far as AT&T... they have no clue... I have argued with two of their reps that my phone is NOT a 4G device.... which I think is just sad....

Good Luck...

Tried this and it worked for less than a day.

I upgraded from foyo and had a day of constant force closes from the tethering manager

I did this and it fixed my force closes on my galaxy I897 gingerbread.uckk4

http://forums.att.com/t5/Android-Dis...s/td-p/3028507

it calls angrygps and for some reason changing the GPS fixes the teatheringmanager issue....or seems to anyway. Day 4 without any crashes and I didn't have to do a factory reset

Default Re: application tetheringmanager process has encountered a proble

This has worked for a lot of Samsung Captivate users: I went to Settings> Wireless Networks> mobile Networks> Access Point Names> and found one called Broadband. If you find this name, just hit the Menu button (lower left) and then Reset To Default. You may need to check the AT&T WAP button if it's not already selected when you're done. This fixed mine and my wife's for now...even after a reboot.
    Thanked by 5:

I did this several days ago and have not experienced the tethering manager error since including after several reboots. This certainly is a much simpler solution than doing a factory reset. Thanks again for the info.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast