Workaround for AT&T not allowing sideloading?

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Now that the Galaxy S has officially been announced as coming to AT&T, this issue has just gotten a lot more important to me. I was getting ready to just get a N1 and not worry about it.

How is the best way to work around the restrictions AT&T puts on android, like sideloading? Is it fixed by rooting the device, or by ROMS or what?

maerlim

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
There are work-arounds for sideloading on the Backflip. The "no sideloading apps" thing is somewhat of a pain, but it won't stop even a mildly determined user. It's there to stop the average AT&T user (AKA morons) from blowing up their phones.

Scenario 1: App exists on the Android Market, but AT&T has "blocked" it.
Solution: Remove AT&T SIM card, connect via WiFi. The app should be available in the Market now.

Scenario 2: App does not exist on the Android Market.
Solution: Download the application's .apk file (Google search for it) to your computer. Download and install Android SDK from developer.google.com. Turn on USB Debugging option on phone. Connect phone to computer via USB. Use adb included in SDK to install app to phone.

There is a side-affect to both of these scenarios in that you will not be automatically notified of updates to those apps. To install any updates, you will have to repeat the procedure given.

quetzalcoatl

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Need Scenario 3 there.
Root the phone so that AT&T has no say and just download it as you would on any other android phone.
Just sad that on AT&T that has to be a reason to root the phone.

jhnstn00

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Need Scenario 3 there.
Root the phone so that AT&T has no say and just download it as you would on any other android phone.
Just sad that on AT&T that has to be a reason to root the phone.

If you build it, they will come... If you root it, so will we...:)

Joeybear23

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Exclusive: Samsung Captivate for AT&T preview -- Engadget

Article says it isn't crippled like other AT&T Androids, but doesn't come right out and say sideloading is enabled. They also say the phone is s..l...o....w. Hopefully they are right in suspecting they got an early build.

So, maybe there is still hope?

Later in teh article it says it was confirmed that it was a "few months old" and running their 800MHz processor instead of the 1GHz that will be on the production model.

alias3800

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the different methods on how to side-load apps anyways; I'm fairly new to Android and had no idea as to what the implications of "no side-loading" were, other than it sounding ****ty, and debilitating.

I'm definitely going to be enjoying this phone tomorrow morning.

alphadog

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Very easy way to side load apps:

Phone -> turn on USB debugging and connect
On PC install Android 2.1 SDK - just unzip to a directory
Go into iphone SDK directory/tools via command prompt
copy the APK file to same tools directory
At cmd prompt type: "adb install application.apk" without quotes and name of your apk file

Viola! app is installed without needing to root

alias3800

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I've given it a shot and still haven't really been able to figure it out.

Using adb on Mac, I haven't been able to really figure out how to install the apk file on the phone (gameloft game in this case). Can anyone help?

I downloaded the SDK, but I'm not sure how to get the adb to work..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance