AT&T announces the Samsung Galaxy S as the Captivate

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the Samsung Captivate forum! Today was a great day for those of you on at&t, who have been patiently waiting for some Android love. Check out this Android Central story and share your thoughts about this new device.

Last edited:

jhnstn00

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I've been waiting for AT&T since before the Tilt 2. This is finally a phone that I will keep me entertained.

Is this phone going to be received by the Android Community enough to get rooted?

I hope people buy the AT&T version so I won't be the only one.

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I've been waiting for AT&T since before the Tilt 2. This is finally a phone that I will keep me entertained.

Is this phone going to be received by the Android Community enough to get rooted?

I hope people buy the AT&T version so I won't be the only one.

me too.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
I'm still up in the air with this device. The specs seems decent but I'm just not sure about it... I may try it out when it is released though.

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm still up in the air with this device. The specs seems decent but I'm just not sure about it... I may try it out when it is released though.

I am so anxious to get an android device (currently have Treo) that I can hardly contain myself. If the Captivate is a dud I don't know how much longer I can hold out hope for something else. Sure, I would prefer an Evo or Droid X type of hardware/software, but right now I think I will take just about anything that is close. I'd go with a Nexus One, but I can't justify ponying up $1060 (for my wife and I) for hardware. I thought I could get by with just getting my wife an Aria, but after she saw the size of the Evo, I don't think she would be satisfied with something so small. [insert innuendo here]

Last edited:

Joeybear23

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I am so anxious to get an android device (currently have Treo) that I can hardly contain myself. If the Captivate is a dud I don't know how much longer I can hold out hope for something else. Sure, I would prefer an Evo or Droid X type of hardware/software, but right now I think I will take just about anything that is close. I'd go with a Nexus One, but I can't justify ponying up $1060 (for my wife and I) for hardware. I thought I could get by with just getting my wife an Aria, but after she saw the size of the Evo, I don't think she would be satisfied with something so small. [insert innuendo here]

My wife is getting an Iphone 4 tomorrow, and I will get likely get the Captivate when it hits the shelves.

I am pretty much stuck with ATT, since nobody else covers my house... but I have no real complaints with the service.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site

I feel your pain. While AT&T is my main carrier in the past I've had to try out other devices on other carriers. Worst case scenario is I try Verizon again with the Droid X.

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I feel your pain. While AT&T is my main carrier in the past I've had to try out other devices on other carriers. Worst case scenario is I try Verizon again with the Droid X.

Yeah, that would be a worst case scenario for me, because that would be an extra $40 per month for me if I switched.

Lyanheart

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I was thrilled to see this pop up on ATT's website, but I'm worried it is going to be severely gimped by ATT like they do with all their other branded phones...

Will it get the 2.2 update?
Has Samsung/ATT replaced the Google services with Yahoo services?
Will it have full GPS functionality with Google Maps and their free navigation (as opposed to ATT's pay-service navigation)?

Any of those would be dealbreakers for me and if they really do replace all the Google services with Yahoo or ATT junk, I would be better off with an iPhone.

Last edited:

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site

Will it have full GPS functionality with Google Maps and their free navigation (as opposed to ATT's pay-service navigation)?

Any of those would be dealbreakers for me and if they really do replace all the Google services with Yahoo or ATT junk, I would be better off with an iPhone.

I hadn't thought about the Google Maps being blocked. Yes, that would be a dealbreaker.

Regarding the other stuff, yes, the 2.2 update is a big concern, but I think the engadget review confirmed that it has google instead of yahoo, and the screenshots on AT&T's website show a Google search bar.

rlb

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
The HTC Aria has Google Maps w/ navigation as well as Google search so this should too. We will have to wait and see though. I'm waiting to see before I decide between this and a Nexus One.

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone else notice the front shot of this phone makes it oddly resemble a BB Storm 2? Just a funny thought I had as I was reading an article on it.

happyKyra

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
i'm like a lot of you, stuck on AT&T. I've not had problems with service. BB has fallen so far behind and i have a beef with apple going back to the late 80's lol. So i'm stoked for these Androids on AT&T but really bothered by how they handcuff them. but i'll be getting a new device in the next 3months or so-so i'll be around here learning and sharing.

bhayden25

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Its nice to see AT&T finally getting some more Android love. Im getting sick of AT&T focusing all their attention on the IPhone. Samsung announced that their Galaxy line of smart phones will be updated with froyo aka2.2. I am a bit dissapointed that the Captivate doesn't have a flash but thats not a deal breaker cause i rarely use my camera on my phone anyway. The specs seem to be pretty good. I'll have to play around with it once it's launched. I guess even with 2.1 in benchmark tests the Captivate beat the Droid X hands down. If thats the case imagine what it will be like with froyo. Ive heard that the N1 is super fast with 2.2:)

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Its nice to see AT&T finally getting some more Android love. Im getting sick of AT&T focusing all their attention on the IPhone. Samsung announced that their Galaxy line of smart phones will be updated with froyo aka2.2. I am a bit dissapointed that the Captivate doesn't have a flash but thats not a deal breaker cause i rarely use my camera on my phone anyway. The specs seem to be pretty good. I'll have to play around with it once it's launched. I guess even with 2.1 in benchmark tests the Captivate beat the Droid X hands down. If thats the case imagine what it will be like with froyo. Ive heard that the N1 is super fast with 2.2:)

The article says Samsung is saying it CAN be upgraded, not that it WILL be upgraded. That decision will be made by AT&T. And, until AT&T says it will be upgraded, I am nervous that it won't be.

Lyanheart

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Well, if some other rumors are true, ATT will have to loosen their hold and step up their Android offerings because the iPhone customers will be flying out the door and something will have to take its place. More devices, updates, and basically allow the full "Android experience." I'd say the Captivate looks like a great start.

linuxguy#AC

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
AT&T as usual crypling their devices. Especially if the device is an iphone competidor, they'll definetelly criple it. Thankfuly root and a custom rom will soon be available, so AT&T chenanigans won't matter much. Iphone users can't say the same, go android :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza