Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    rlb

Global Posts
    307 Global Posts

Default Nexus One vs. Galaxy S(Captivate)

Trying to decide between these 2 phones(on AT&T). Here are my pros of each:

Galaxy S:
    Faster processor for graphics
    Super Amoled display better in sunlight and less battery drain
    Better battery life- 625 hrs. of standby vs. 250 hrs. for N1(similar talk times)
    Records 720p/30 fps video vs. 480p/20 fps for N1
    Wireless N wifi
    Wireless tethering/hotspot
    FM radio
    More built in storage 16GB vs. 512MB

Nexus One:
    LED Flash for camera vs. no flash on Galaxy S
    Guaranteed to get quick updates

On paper the Galaxy S kills the Nexus One. Am I missing anything. Are any of the weaknesses of the N1 possible to fix with updates. I would prefer not to root the phone, but would not be completely opposed to it.

Global Posts
    280 Global Posts

If I was deciding between the two it would definitely be the galaxy s.

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts

Subsidized Captivate (~$200-300) vs Nexus One (~$530) >> Captivate wins. Specs are great too. Can't wait to get mine....June please, not July...
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    rlb

Global Posts
    307 Global Posts

The price difference is a hard swallow for me too.

Global Posts
    212 Global Posts

Default Galaxy S

I'm due my upgrade on 30th June and the Samsung Galaxy S is getting my vote so far. I will continue my research into it but to date it's the S

And you won't be able to use 3G on ATT.

Nexus One has a 3G ATT version available now, I've been considering it myself. However, I'm going to wait and see how well-received the Captivate is and if it retains full Android functionality instead of being severely gimped by ATT.

Although the nexus one is a great device, and I wish it came out on sprint before, I would go with the galaxy phone. reasons why would be:

- 4" screen
    - super amoled is much better than amoled
    - physical keyboard (epic 4g)
    - dual cameras (epic 4g)
    - dnla to samsung hdtv's
    - more options to carriers (sprint, att, verizon, tmo)
    - gpu (if gaming is your thing)
    - camera (720p recording out the box)
    - 4g (epic 4g)
    - no tack ball (i was not a fan of this)

For the nexus one, I think you will benefit from:

- nexus being google's baby
    - faster firmware updates (eg. froyo)
    - Sense UI or stock android
    - trackball (if that's your thing)

There are so many benefits that the galaxy family has over the nexus one, and plus the nexus one is aging compared to the phones that are being released now. Not that the Nexus is not holding it's own, I'd get one if I did not have an evo, but with phones such as an EVO, Droid X, galaxy S family, and yes, the iphone 4, these devices are creating another tier in smart phones. Whether it'd be in technology, screen size, functions, features, etc. I'm sure if a new nexus device comes out it'd be on par if not better than what is out right now. Til then, I'd go with either Evo or Epic
    yEzZiR! - samsung n400 w/camera > Sanyo mm7400 > Sanyo VM4500> Samsung Instinks > Palm pre > HTC EVO 4g
    jeravicious.wordpress.com

Global Posts
    769 Global Posts

Not a huge deal, but the Galaxy has Bluetooth 3.0 versus 2.1 on virtually every other phone out there.

According to wikipedia, Bluetooth 3.0 will let you transmit data between BT 3 devices over wifi automatically through the bluetooth protocol. I imagine that it might be useful for steaming video to other devices at some point in the future, but it is really speculative right now.

looking for a wifi apk to broadcast/ tether the 3g network for my captivate.. can anyone help?

Quote Originally Posted by rlb View Post
    Trying to decide between these 2 phones(on AT&T). Here are my pros of each:

Galaxy S:
    Faster processor for graphics
    Super Amoled display better in sunlight and less battery drain
    Better battery life- 625 hrs. of standby vs. 250 hrs. for N1(similar talk times)
    Records 720p/30 fps video vs. 480p/20 fps for N1
    Wireless N wifi
    Wireless tethering/hotspot
    FM radio
    More built in storage 16GB vs. 512MB

Nexus One:
    LED Flash for camera vs. no flash on Galaxy S
    Guaranteed to get quick updates

On paper the Galaxy S kills the Nexus One. Am I missing anything. Are any of the weaknesses of the N1 possible to fix with updates. I would prefer not to root the phone, but would not be completely opposed to it.
    Nexus one has also been hacked to allow 720p video recording. I also believe Nexu has wireless N.

To give you an unbiased as possible answer. The GS kills the Nexus one on pretty much all tech specs. The only reason to get the Nexus one would be so that it is easily rootable and romable and

Google will always provide the latest OS update to this phone.

It is its baby and will be taken care of first. Other phones will have to wait till the manufacturer/carrier adapt and send us out the updated OS.

IMHO the GS is the better buy and most likely the one with the better resale value ATM. If you are into having a Google supplied phone with immediate updated then the N1 is your phone. If you want a phone a little more hardware future proof then the GS is your device.

FYI the N1 running Android 2.2 has a linpack score of around 40 mflops. A N1 running 2.1 has a score of around 6.6 mflops. The Gs running 2.1 has a score of 8.2 mflops.

I imagine a GS running 2.2 Android will have a score of ~50 mflops, thereby making it one of the FASTEST devices out there.