Saw and Demoed a Captivate Tonight

ptb127

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
I went to my local at&t store and was allowed to play with the device for awhile. I have an iPhone 4 currently so I am not sure if I am going to change or not but the screen is amazing. It's very close to the iPhone's screen. The phone is also very snappy and fast, things move along quite well. It's very thin too. So now I have a tough decision, do I tough it out with the iPhone 4 until the next software update or do I try the captivate? This is really the first true Android phone on AT&T that people can get excited about because it looks so nice. 3G is coming to my area in the next 2-3 months too so switching to Verizon wouldn't make much sense to me.

treotogo

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as you. Like the iph4 but the prox sensor and the signal strength are big let downs. I can't wait around for the next update as I can't hold a call in my office like i could the 3g/3gs.
I am going to my local att store this morning. Rep that always takes care of me is going to let me play with the demo. I have watched several youtube vids as well...this looks to be in the same league as the Incredible/Moto x (imo).

How was the call quality? Volume..clarity? Did you make any test calls?

Thanks

experiment 626

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
How does it compare to the HTC Aria? I played with the Aria yesterday and it ran so smooth and responsive. Such a shame it's not bigger. ;)

ptb127

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
How does it compare to the HTC Aria? I played with the Aria yesterday and it ran so smooth and responsive. Such a shame it's not bigger. ;)

It definitely beats the Aria. The Aria is solid but it's too small for me. I didn't make any test calls with the device but it wasn't put out yet officially and didn't have a sim card installed. The screen is definitely bigger then the iPhone and it has all the same gaming sensors that the iPhone has and the screen is just as nice with the basically the same browser. It definitely compares directly to the iPhone and probably beats it by a little.

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
It definitely beats the Aria. The Aria is solid but it's too small for me. I didn't make any test calls with the device but it wasn't put out yet officially and didn't have a sim card installed. The screen is definitely bigger then the iPhone and it has all the same gaming sensors that the iPhone has and the screen is just as nice with the basically the same browser. It definitely compares directly to the iPhone and probably beats it by a little.

I would have to disagree a bit. I believe the i4's screen to be better than that of the Captivate. Some would argue that a front facing camera and a camera with a flash is needed to compete directly, however, I think it really does compete. It just falls behind in some aspects. Whereas it excels in others.

Last edited:

ptb127

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
I don't know.. to my eye, the captivate and i4 screens are pretty equal. Maybe the i4's colors are a little more natural looking but it's not a runaway like it is with the i4 and all the other phones out there. And you're right about it falling behind areas (music and certain multimedia features) but excelling it others. I have no desire to use video calling so the front facing camera is not a neccessity and I've had an iPhone for almost 3 years without a flash so I am use to it, so that's not a big issue. I hope to be able to purchase a captivate tomorrow without contract as I am not eligible to upgrade any of my lines.

awtryau89

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
This is going to be a very interesting side by side for me. I have used a G1 and then a Rogers Magic on AT&T before our company gave us iPhones. I just got the 4 and love it but something about that Sept 30 date has me worried. I do not want to be an iPhone 4 owner when they actually do fix the antenna hardware issue and have no recourse to get the Rev A phone. This has me thinking of swapping the 4 for the Captivate and sitting tight until fall on the iPhone 4. I still have my 3GS my company gave me as well as 2 Family Plan upgrades. Decisions, decisions. What say you guys?

Crucial, I know you well from Crackberry and follow you on Twitter. I wondered why you had been quiet of late. Maybe its because you have been playing with new phones and not of the BB variety.

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't know.. to my eye, the captivate and i4 screens are pretty equal. Maybe the i4's colors are a little more natural looking but it's not a runaway like it is with the i4 and all the other phones out there. And you're right about it falling behind areas (music and certain multimedia features) but excelling it others. I have no desire to use video calling so the front facing camera is not a neccessity and I've had an iPhone for almost 3 years without a flash so I am use to it, so that's not a big issue. I hope to be able to purchase a captivate tomorrow without contract as I am not eligible to upgrade any of my lines.

I totally agree. When I mentioned the screens, I wasn't in any way saying the Captivate isn't good. In fact side by side they are very close. The i4 just has a few more ppi. That being said, the Captivates screen is awesome.

I'm not really a big mobile device game player but this thing is awesome with games. And I believe the Hummingbird is snappier than the A4 used in the i4.

Hopefully you'll be able to get you one tomorroe. :)))

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
This is going to be a very interesting side by side for me. I have used a G1 and then a Rogers Magic on AT&T before our company gave us iPhones. I just got the 4 and love it but something about that Sept 30 date has me worried. I do not want to be an iPhone 4 owner when they actually do fix the antenna hardware issue and have no recourse to get the Rev A phone. This has me thinking of swapping the 4 for the Captivate and sitting tight until fall on the iPhone 4. I still have my 3GS my company gave me as well as 2 Family Plan upgrades. Decisions, decisions. What say you guys?

Crucial, I know you well from Crackberry and follow you on Twitter. I wondered why you had been quiet of late. Maybe its because you have been playing with new phones and not of the BB variety.

Haha, indeed I have been using multiple devices as of late, but have just been super duper busy with work(namely 9800). Good to see you on other SPE sites as well. Obviously I'm a very loyal RIM product user, but I'm all about what works best for me. Android devices have lots of things my BlackBerry doesn't so... :D

dmnall

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
So Crucial I understand you love Rim as do I but the thing with me on Rim is that I have had failure in 3x different hardware with rim with standby button dying *bold 9000*, radio flaking out on 2x 8300 and even my 8310 crapping out. To date, the latest bold 9700 and even the 3G Curve 8520 *on att* just does nothing for me. Giving me the reason to get the captivate and if another Berry Comes out that catches my eye, I might have to buy and come back! What is your thoughts on How Android has progressed? I have not really sat down with 2.1 but the last phone I got to spend time was the unlocked dev phone of my bosses htc dream with adnroid 1.0 and I was not impressed at that time!

Cheers,
Charlie

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Wow, 1.0, yeah, android has come a LONG way since then. They don't even provide the api's for 1.0 anymore in the SDK. Play with a 2.1 device, and try to see 2.2 (its great). Obviously the flavor of 2.2 will covered with skins, but the performance is amazing.

dmnall

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
rufflez,
I cannot wait to play with a Captivate tomorrow. From playing with the Aria, I really liked how far the android os has come since 1.0, I will still miss my bb but I am excited about the change over for Android. I almost considered the iPhone but then I realize the more I deal with osx at work, the more I loathe how osx is overall for the performance versus win xp pro, win7 ultimate *x86 and x64*, gentoo and free bsd. I will be letting my personal opinion because I am planning on purchasing a Captivate tomorrow morning. I cannot wait until there is a 2.2 rom for the captivate and hopefully I will be able to root the phone when I get it lol.

Cheers,
Charlie

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
So Crucial I understand you love Rim as do I but the thing with me on Rim is that I have had failure in 3x different hardware with rim with standby button dying *bold 9000*, radio flaking out on 2x 8300 and even my 8310 crapping out. To date, the latest bold 9700 and even the 3G Curve 8520 *on att* just does nothing for me. Giving me the reason to get the captivate and if another Berry Comes out that catches my eye, I might have to buy and come back! What is your thoughts on How Android has progressed? I have not really sat down with 2.1 but the last phone I got to spend time was the unlocked dev phone of my bosses htc dream with adnroid 1.0 and I was not impressed at that time!

Cheers,
Charlie

I can see where you're not happy with RIM products. In comparison to Android & others, it's way behind in most areas. Android has progressed quite a bit since 1.0 and will only continue on the same path. As case can be argued that it will surpass iOS4 and the entire Apple platform. Plus the native/inherent Google integration with gmail, G Maps, etc is wonderful.

I would definitely get into a store and check out the Captivate. It's a kick arse device and I feel sure that coming from the 9700, you'll love it. If RIM happens to catch your eye with something down the road(9800) then check it out too. But right now, RIM devices can't compete with the likes of the Captivate, Droid X, etc. It's all about what works best for you.... :)))

sprke81

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I used to be a die hard Blackberry user but switched to Android when the original Droid came out last fall. I haven't looked back since. Crucial I've followed your posts on CB as you knew what was going on more then most. I'm happy to see that you can use other platforms and appreciate them and not have your head stuck in the sand. I am watching RIM and would consider going back if they come out with something mind blowing... I do miss the Blackberry keyboard.

CBPilu

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Crucial! I just made the switch from CB to AC. its funny seeing one of the most well known names on CB as a nanite over here

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I used to be a die hard Blackberry user but switched to Android when the original Droid came out last fall. I haven't looked back since. Crucial I've followed your posts on CB as you knew what was going on more then most. I'm happy to see that you can use other platforms and appreciate them and not have your head stuck in the sand. I am watching RIM and would consider going back if they come out with something mind blowing... I do miss the Blackberry keyboard.
Indeed. I'm definitely not a RIM fanboy, have & will continue to use other platforms. Again, I'm all about what best suits my needs. Right now, the BlackBerry isn't doing that. It's better with OS6, but other platforms such as Android just offer more. RIM is stepping up and will bring some great things to market as Android will continue it's progression. Makes it a great time to be a consumer eh? :D

Crucial! I just made the switch from CB to AC. its funny seeing one of the most well known names on CB as a nanite over here

lol, yeah I'm rather low on the totem pole here. Luckily AC is in the SPE family. Great to see you here and @ CB. Getting a Captivate?

ptb127

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
Which phone are you carrying right now? I heard you say you were going to add this to your phone arsenal, but I don't have the money to keep two very high end phones.

I can see where you're not happy with RIM products. In comparison to Android & others, it's way behind in most areas. Android has progressed quite a bit since 1.0 and will only continue on the same path. As case can be argued that it will surpass iOS4 and the entire Apple platform. Plus the native/inherent Google integration with gmail, G Maps, etc is wonderful.

I would definitely get into a store and check out the Captivate. It's a kick arse device and I feel sure that coming from the 9700, you'll love it. If RIM happens to catch your eye with something down the road(9800) then check it out too. But right now, RIM devices can't compete with the likes of the Captivate, Droid X, etc. It's all about what works best for you.... :)))

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Which phone are you carrying right now? I heard you say you were going to add this to your phone arsenal, but I don't have the money to keep two very high end phones.

Well I use a couple for my job. I'm using a 9700 & 9800(testing), i4, & Captivate. :)))

If I had to choose one for non work purposes it would either be the Captivate or the i4. I'm connected to a BES server so I must use a BlackBerry for work as well.